Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Last Coins of the Year

My last coins of the year, a nice roman Antoninianus of Volusian and a neat Medieval silver, a type I have wanted for awhile.

Volusian (251 - 253 A.D.)

AR Antoninianus

O: IMP CAE C VIB VOLVSIANO AVG radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

R: CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia seated left, holding patera and double cornucopiae, star in right field.

Rome Mint

3.35g

22mm

RIC IV, 169; RSC 25; Hunter 6; Sear 9743.

Alfonso XI, (1312 - 1350 A.D.)

Spain, Leon

Billon Cornado

O: ALF'NS DI GRATI ; Crowned head of Alfonso XI left.

R: CASTELLE LEGIONIS ; Castle with legend around.

19mm

.81g

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Those are both great but I especially like how nice that Spanish piece is too.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Never say never, there is still plenty of time left in the year.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First time I hear of Velusian and I like the coins a lot.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Guys!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Italy, Umberto 1882 20L , PCGS MS64 a true PL even if not noted on the holder.

Superb fields for the type. Heritage will auction the RR 100 lire of the type in PCGS MS64 P-L and it will likely exceed $10K.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Volusian, Mat. I like his tranquil expression there. Looks like you've got pretty much full circles with the beaded borders, too, even if the beads aren't all struck up, so apparently a well-centered coin on a decent sized flan.

The Spanish medieval is cool too.

PS- Dimitri- I just sold an 1882-R Italian 20-lire piece like that, which was crazy prooflike in hand if not in the photos. But I think you saw it. Mine was only MS62-ish technically, though. Never got around to having it graded. I can imagine what yours must look like in person.

I doubt there will be any more coins for me in 2015 unless I buy an inexpensive love token for my Oddball collection. The US 3cN in my Box of 20 (seen at far right in my current sig) was the last significant newp of the year.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

1794 George III Indian Peace Medal ( Simcoe Medal ). Jamieson fig. 19. Interesting background.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals