carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin Sales By Year
2010 34,662,500
2011 39,868,500
2012 33,742,500
2013 42,675,000
2014 44,006,000
2015 46,639,000*

*all-time high as of 12/14/15; 47,000,000 projected.

AG lovers...we are not alone image

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... 47 million ASE's....yep, there are stackers out there... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: carew4me

American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin Sales By Year

2010 34,662,500

2011 39,868,500

2012 33,742,500

2013 42,675,000

2014 44,006,000

2015 46,639,000*

*all-time high as of 12/14/15; 47,000,000 projected.

AG lovers...we are not alone image

Paragraphitized!
  • Options
    At 44,000 pounds to a load it would take about 70 semi trucks to haul them all.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think only four of them are mine
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of silver eagles. Add in all the "other" kinds of silver bullion, look at all the novelty rounds, bars, and stuff on Apmex, MCM, and the other sites, it's enough to bury us in silver

Who the heck are we going to sell all this stuff to, when the time comes?

I think I'd feel more confident in my silver bullion investments if there were less silver being minted into this new stuff, rather than more..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Originally posted by: Barndog

I think only four of them are mine

I have 1.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I was told by the experts here that demand for physical has not increased. Might they be wrong?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Demand has indeed increased. Supply has increased MORE image

• Options
    Originally posted by: Baley

How could supply increase when the futures market makes it infinite?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And still less money spent on them than the year before.

If they sold 100 million for $4 each you guys would still say demand was string. Lmao.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Originally posted by: derryb

How could supply increase when the futures market makes it infinite?

I guess your just acting dumb now?

• Options
    Originally posted by: cohodk

If they sold 100 million for $4 each you guys would still say demand was string. Lmao.

Well demand is also a function of price too so at $4 silver I would expect the mint to be pooping these out at capacity. Why do gross sales necessarily have to increase every year?

What if silver was at $40 on Monday? Demand/production [what there would be of it] from the Mint would probably ebb simply because supply is being met from other sources. A lot of people sitting on $35 silver would likely jump at a chance to unload it.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    But I was told by the experts here that demand for physical has not increased. Might they be wrong?

demand for physical was meaningless as demand for silver overall was way down, obviously...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

Well demand is also a function of price too so at $4 silver I would expect the mint to be pooping these out at capacity. Why do gross sales necessarily have to increase every year?

What if silver was at $40 on Monday? Demand/production [what there would be of it] from the Mint would probably ebb simply because supply is being met from other sources. A lot of people sitting on $35 silver would likely jump at a chance to unload it.

Yes of course. So do you think if the mint sold 100 million at $4 then demand increased? If you study bull markets you will see increasing volume as prices rise....investors are willing to spend money $$$ even though prices are rising. We have not seen that action in silver in years, hence declining prices. Eventually we will see increasing volume with increasing prices, not with decreasing prices as we see now.

• Options
    "We had to double production this year, but there was no increase in demand." image

• Options
    "We had to double production this year, but there was no increase in demand." image

You have demonstrated your ineptitude of economics over the years deryb. There is no need for you to subjugate yourself to further ridicule.

• Options

Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

Yes of course. So do you think if the mint sold 100 million at $4 then demand increased? If you study bull markets you will see increasing volume as prices rise....investors are willing to spend money $$$ even though prices are rising. We have not seen that action in silver in years, hence declining prices. Eventually we will see increasing volume with increasing prices, not with decreasing prices as we see now.

Does anyone even know what demand for ASEs is? We don't know if the increase of 12 million from 2010 to 2015 was due to increased demand or removal of production constraints. So frankly, unless one is privy to Mint data one may never know what the true demand is. It seems apparent that they aren't overproducing.

• Options
    Good point. Since PMs are a global asset, perhaps it would be good to analyze other Govt mint production/sales. What are the numbers from Canada, Great Britain, Australia.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

That's a lot of silver eagles. Add in all the "other" kinds of silver bullion, look at all the novelty rounds, bars, and stuff on Apmex, MCM, and the other sites, it's enough to bury us in silver

Who the heck are we going to sell all this stuff to, when the time comes?

I think I'd feel more confident in my silver bullion investments if there were less silver being minted into this new stuff, rather than more..

THIS^^^^ I've been saying this for some time. There more there is, the less it's worth. Doesn't anyone see the correlation? (besides Baley & me)
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

Good point. Since PMs are a global asset, perhaps it would be good to analyze other Govt mint production/sales. What are the numbers from Canada, Great Britain, Australia.

The OP was specifically about ASEs. We don't know know if the increase in production from 2010 [Ag was around $29 at this time 12/20 in 2010] was due to a small but steady increase in demand or that the demand existed all along and the Mint was not able to supply enough. If silver was $4 I think the Mint could easily sell 100 million IF they could produce that many. No idea what their capacity is but IIRC they work 24 hours per day, 5 days a week with no weekends. Perhaps like their suppliers, they are loathe to invest in increasing production. At $4 most buyers would probably be stackers, but if it hit $40 you'd have to think that some of the demand would be met by stackers putting coins back into the market; that is the Mint wouldn't be the sole source of supply like it is now.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....demand for physical was meaningless as demand for silver overall was way down, obviously...

Huh?

Isn't demand for physical the same as "demand for silver overall?" Isn't it just all physical silver in the end?

THIS^^^^ I've been saying this for some time. There more there is, the less it's worth. Doesn't anyone see the correlation? (besides Baley & me)

Good argument. Wrong application though.

I think if you look at the actual amount of physical silver in the world over the past 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 years, etc.....the supply has been constantly dropping. It's being used up. All you are seeing with "more silver products" are just the same end user items recycled over and over again (sovereign mint ounces, bars, jewelry, etc.). The mines of the world aren't keeping up. And with base metal prices in the toilet the past few years, the multi-metal mines are bringing up even less silver.

Every aspect of silver vs. gold tends (except price) to follow support an 8-1 to 10-1 ratio. Silver is about 9X more plentiful in the earth, it is mined at 9X the quantity of gold, and it trades on the LBMA/Comex at 9X the volume of gold. And unlike gold, it is constantly being used up. Current price ratio of gold to silver is 76-1. The fallacy of looking at the world's gold to silver price ratio from ancient times to the 1960's was that it wasn't being used. That hasn't been the case since the 1960's as sovereign multi-billion ounce stock piles are all pretty much gone. Approx 50 BILL ounces of silver have been mined throughout history. I wouldn't be surprised if 80-90% of that is gone.

The mines produce about 1/10th of an ounce per person (think of a dime). That doesn't seem like adequate supply to sustain a 7 BILL person world for a strategic metal. Even if each ounce of silver ever mined still existed in hand, that would amount to at most $700 BILL....a trifle compared to world debt levels and just 18% over the market cap of Apple. In reality it's a fraction of that $700 BILL.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demand is greater when the prices drop. People demand to know why.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: rawteam1

demand for physical was meaningless as demand for silver overall was way down, obviously...

Spot price (for paper futures) tell us demand for paper silver (and gold) is way down. Increasing premiums, even in the face of declining spot price, tell us that demand for physical has increased. Part of this increase in physical demand is the fact that the base (spot) price is lower. It is a marketing fact that lower prices aid in creating greater demand. In turn this greater demand is causing the increase in premiums.

• Options
    Collectors are causing any and all increase in "premiums"

The more desirable the form of silver (rare, beautiful, historic, "neat", "fun", legal tender status, marketing, packaging, etc etc)

the higher the premium above spot tends to be, between informed and willing market participants.

typical ASEs at a couple bucks above spot seems about right, and one is paying mostly for the metal, and a little bit more for the nice shape it's in and its NCLT status.

Put some colorful toning on the same coin, get it into a PCGS slab, preferably with a high grade and maybe someone's signature on it, take great pictures, advertise heavily, and then you'll get some real "premium" prices for the same 31.1 g of pure silver.

What is an ounce of 1792 or 1802 half dimes "worth" in terms of "premium"?

On the other hand, how about an ugly pile of broken sterling jewelry and silverware?

• Options
    The paper market and the physical market (for silver) seperated about 3 months ago imo. Trade paper if you choose to do so, but it's it's own market now.

For a long time I said the 2 were a slave to each other, I stopped saying that 3 months ago. Maybe because that's when I decided to go pretty much only with the premium stuff being added to the stack. It became more of a personal decision of where I'm at with the "collecting" aspect of it all, rather than a market driven decision.

When I pay $200 for a 1 oz collectable bar, I don't come close to factoring in, or remotely caring what Spot is at at that given time. I care about what that particular piece of collectable silver is at at that given time.
  • Options
    You can ignore it you so choose, but silver demand is the reason premiums have seen their recent, greatest increase. This demand is coming from all types of silver buyers, but I would guess primarily from investors.

• Options

Spot price (for paper futures) tell us demand for paper silver (and gold) is way down. Increasing premiums, even in the face of declining spot price, tell us that demand for physical has increased. Part of this increase in physical demand is the fact that the base (spot) price is lower. It is a marketing fact that lower pr ices aid in creating greater demand. In turn this greater demand is causing the increase in premiums.

Premiums are the same today as a year ago. A couple bucks over spot.

• Options

Spot price (for paper futures) tell us demand for paper silver (and gold) is way down. Increasing premiums, even in the face of declining spot price, tell us that demand for physical has increased. Part of this increase in physical demand is the fact that the base (spot) price is lower. It is a marketing fact that lower pr ices aid in creating greater demand. In turn this greater demand is causing the increase in premiums.

Your are wrong.

And this does not include increased demand or increased premiums since July 2015.

• Options

The Mint charges $2 over spot to the APs. The $2 covers their cost to convert planchets to finished coins, green boxes, tubes, assays, labor, advertising, etc. The APs add another cost to sell them to dealers and other customers. The one AP who publishes prices is currently pre-selling 2016s for $2.95 over spot, $0.95 over their cost for 1 MB and $0.90 over cost for 2+ MB.

• Options
    See the post after yours derryb. Then check all the threads in this forum regarding ASE'S and premiums. It's always about $3, except when the bullion pushers wants to exploit fear.

And linking a blog from a consortium that has a vested interested in promoting PMs should never be considered a factual source. You know better.

• Options
    See the post after yours derryb. Then check all the threads in this forum regarding ASE'S and premiums. It's always about $3, except when the bullion pushers wants to exploit fear.

And linking a blog from a consortium that has a vested interested in promoting PMs should never be considered a factual source. You know better.

Like any other consortium, maybe they're just using the facts to spin their agenda. After all isn't that what we all attempt to do? image

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the price of silver goes down, the percentage premium rises. Currently the $2 per coin premium charged by the Mint is over 14% and the retail premium of $2.95 is over 20%. If I were betting on a silver price rise (I'm not), I would buy shares in a silver ETF for the lower premium, smaller buy-sell spread, better liquidity and less storage and transportation costs and hassles.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

Like any other consortium, maybe they're just using the facts to spin their agenda. After all isn't that what we all attempt to do? image

Some of us have gotten dizzy from the spinning. How about keeping the facts straight.

• Options
    Lol, so I guess I have to be more specific, I forget the literal thought pervasive here.... When I posted physical, I meant as in what people on this forum are buying, rounds and bars, govt or private, and as far as falling demand, that was in the overall industrial, fabricated commodity silver as in what and why everyone thinks silver is going up but alas the demand has been crushed.... Since here silver eagle buying is the only thing looked at for demand and price, no wonder anyone following that nonsense is buried in their silver buys...

Premiums are fleeting they change based on promotion and marketing concepts, not on reality of actual silver(the silver, not coin/bar) available, and once again following this flawed theory has one buying at significantly higher prices and digging themselves even a bigger hole to get out of or suffocate ....

keceph `anah
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Overdate

As the price of silver goes down, the percentage premium rises. Currently the $2 per coin premium charged by the Mint is over 14% and the retail premium of $2.95 is over 20%. If I were betting on a silver price rise (I'm not), I would buy shares in a silver ETF for the lower premium, smaller buy-sell spread, better liquidity and less storage and transportation costs and hassles.

Well the mint's cost are the same whether spot is $14 or $34. Similarly, Apple's dividend yield is higher when it's stock price is lower.

Who said the $2.95 was retail? That is the selling price one AP has posted from their dealer price list. Anyone like a JMBullion or a B & M who bought from them will have to add their markup too.

If a dealer sells 10 ounce bars at say $1.49 over, his markup % also increases as spot decreases.
  • Options
    The only verified premium change that was significant was in 08 crash as 8-9 silver spot was 12-13 for buying physical silver rounds/bars, this I think was justified via the quick plunge in price 21 to 8, so round/bar sellers(those in business) of inventory didn't get crushed as bad, and the few investors that bought at 40-60% premiums at that time were idiot savants, lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Back before the July shortage, sometime in May or June IIRC, SDBullion was selling ASEs for $2.25 over spot any quantity and they had that deal up for a long time. AFAIK they are not an AP, so they had to find one willing to sell to them for a song. There couldn't have been much $$$ for either side.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    ASE sales 2nd Half 2014: 19.88M, under allocation about 8 weeks this period.

ASE sales 2nd Half 2015: 25.21M, under allocation all but one week this period.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    The amount of SAE's of all dates that trade each year is staggering. Into the 100's of millions. Only a very small fraction of which end up in the hands of long term (10-20+ years) holders.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: guitarwes

The amount of SAE's of all dates that trade each year is staggering. Into the 100's of millions. Only a very small fraction of which end up in the hands of long term (10-20+ years) holders.

So unless it's in a PCGS/NGC holder graded MS or PR70 it's just a means to try and flip to make a few bucks. Those attempting that the last 4 years have been in hell.

Staggering amounts have been made in that time...it's no surprise their value is down 300+% in that time. the more there are, the less they're worth. For those that refuse to accept that, I'm here to tell you, it's really that simple.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There more there is, the less it's worth. Doesn't anyone see the correlation?

The silver market is a gnat on the elephant's arse compared to the bond market, which is the basis of all finance at this time. I don't think a direct correlation can be made, but the time may come when silver is seen as a reasonable physical asset for refugees from the stock & bond markets.

Should there be a significant exodus from stocks & bonds due to a financial crisis, just a small percentage of that money seeking immediate safe haven would be needed to bump demand for gold & silver a lot higher, simply because the gold & silver markets are much smaller.

The entire premise of buying gold & silver is to insure against governmental mismanagement & corruption. It's practically a no-brainer.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    value is down 300+%

Dang new Math.

• Options
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

Originally posted by: guitarwes

So unless it's in a PCGS/NGC holder graded MS or PR70 it's just a means to try and flip to make a few bucks. Those attempting that the last 4 years have been in hell.

Staggering amounts have been made in that time...it's no surprise their value is down 300+% in that time. the more there are, the less they're worth. For those that refuse to accept that, I'm here to tell you, it's really that simple.

Down 300+% from what? There are way more generic rounds and bars than there are ASEs, yet they are still worth at least spot.

I assume you are saying that the more graded ASEs there are the less they are worth. Makes sense in that case.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

Canadian Silver Maple Leaf production since 2010:

2010 17.8M

2011 23.1M

2012 18.1M

2013 28.2M

2014 29.2M

For 2015 the only report I found was a first quarter amount of 8.9M. This is 700k higher than the 2014 Q1 figure. Thus a projected 2015 figure of 32M
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    From the Canadian Mint Q3 report:

"During the 39 weeks ended September 26, 2015, Bullion Products and Services revenue rose 29.4% to $1,885.8 million from $1,457.3 million in the same period in 2014. Sales of GML coins rose 40.5% to 666.3 thousand ounces from 474.3 thousand ounces in 2014 while sales of SML coins rose 20.6% to 25.2 million ounces from 20.9 million ounces in the previous year."
  • Options
    I would assume those figures are in Canadian dollars which averaged about 90 during 2014. It is at 72 now or down about 20%. Canadian may be spending more Canadian dollars, but since silver is priced in US dollars total spending appears to be up slightly.

• Options
    Lol well 300% becomes the delusional number or one that makes one blind...

Although in reverse an approximate 67% loss will take 300% increase to return to break even(approx numbers),

I remember when apmex was paying over 50 for ase's, so selling for prolly around 55... Ahh the good ol days...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    My calculator tells me that if a silver eagle went for $45 relatively not that long ago, and it goes for $15 now, that's a 300% decline in value.

What am I missing? 15 x 300% = 45.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    The decline in value in your example is $45-15 = $30.

30 / 45 = 0.6667 = 67%

Your value declined by 67%

To check, $45 x 0.67 = $30 which equals the decline in value.

For you to lose 300%, someone would have to pay $90 for someone else to take it off their hands.

Unless you are playing with margin, it's pretty difficult to lose more than 100% of what you paid.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    ...and it would take a 200% increase to negate a 67% loss, not 300%.