Home Metal Detecting

Detecting slobs cost me another park

I was detecting in a park today that I have detected in for 15+ years. A park employee came over and told me that there was no detecting in the park anymore because people were digging to may holes and not covering them up. I showed him that I was using a screwdriver and that I really didn't leave any holes. He was nice about it and he said that he knew it wasn't me that was causing the problems. He said that one bad apple was messing it up for everyone. In our discussion I asked if people were speeding in the park if they closed the park to cars and he said I did have a point.

If you detect please cover your tracks and don't mess it up for the rest of us. If you detect and someone else has left a hole uncovered please cover it up so you don't get blamed for it.

Comments

• zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, it only takes one screwball to ruin it for everyone else.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... too bad. This has happened many times..... When I used to detect parks, if I saw

someone leaving holes (and even on beaches), I would speak to them. I did it nicely, and

it usually worked. Unfortunately, there were many that I did not meet... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a shame to hear that. like it was said all it takes is one bad apple image
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I've found myself patching up other peoples holes a lot this fall.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I hear a story like this, I seriously wonder if people really were leaving holes or if this was merely the pretext used by a busy-body-local-politician who wants to control people's lives in petty ways. I suspect that more times than not, it's merely a pretext and there were no serious holes.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I have seen the holes this one guy left in one park that now bans detecting. He left holes at least 6 inch across on soccer fields. If there was a plug there I always put it back. I would run my detector over the plug and many times find the coin that he was looking for. My guess is that most of this type aren't good at detecting to start with.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if it was a noob. When I took my buddy detecting at the beach a couple weeks ago, he did a horrible job at covering his holes. I had to go back and cover some. It's possible they think every hole will be gold or silver, and get frustrated with zincolns and bottle caps.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always filled my holes. It's the right thing to do!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Grrr.

If someone can take the time to dig the hole, is it asking too much to take a few seconds to fill it in when they are done ????? (and not ruin it for others).
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless I see a sign posted specifically prohibiting the activity, then I'd just laugh it off.

Around here I've seen areas specifically posted metal detecting signs around state historic sites, like our old cavalry base or a civil war battlefield, and I respect that, but you can still hunt road easements and adjacent lands with success. City park? Come on...

It's the life of a treasure hunter. Often times a busybody gets interested and offers advice or a rundown of imaginary or misunderstood rules or laws.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: luckybucks

Grrr.

If someone can take the time to dig the hole, is it asking too much to take a few seconds to fill it in when they are done ????? (and not ruin it for others).
    Yes, kind of like the courtesy in golf "Please replace your divots". We had a gentleman in our local park late last year. He was replacing the dug up areas. BTW he had not had any luck while I was observing..

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • 15 plus years....what's left to find anyway.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can never find it all and the hillsides that over look these fields ,where fans sit, are constantly adding new coins and jewelry.
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat similar story for me:

A couple of years ago I was told not to detect on the University of Illinois by the campus police after a whole summer of detecting there while I was a student, even though they were the ones who said it was ok to do so. I made sure to ask at their station before doing any. The whole time I always made a point to stay off of campus focal points like the quads or places where I might bother people and I always filled my holes, keep in mind this is summer when only a handful of students are taking classes so campus is a bit of a ghost town. Apparently someone had called them saying I was "leaving divots", which I was not, and they had also taken a picture of me detecting, or, someone who "looks a lot like you" as they put it. I can only imagine it must have been some busy body with nothing better to do than complain about something that's not bothering them and doing no harm to anyone just to ruin someone's day. I don't understand how someone can be like that.

Over the course of the summer I did manage to find 4 silver coins, a little silver jewelry, a few bullets, and about $50 in clad. There is still so much more there.

Collector, occasional seller

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Back about 10-15 years ago, I got a ticket for detecting in a park here. Wasn't even digging. $75!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MadMarty
    Back about 10-15 years ago, I got a ticket for detecting in a park here. Wasn't even digging. $75!!

Holy cow! image
  • Originally posted by: metalmeister

I always filled my holes. It's the right thing to do!

Me and my brother go metal detecting in local parks, we always fill our holes in.

Hi, My name is Andrew. I'm 12 years old and I love collecting old coins and bills, (mostly US money) I used to be a Coin Talk member, but now I have joined this forum.

I have been collecting for about 1 year now, (As of 1/24/2016)