Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mel Wacks Einstein counterstamp.

Mel Wacks is creating a new counterstamp to commemorate 100th Anniversary of Einstein's theory of relativity.

you tube video
A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.

Comments

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Einstein deserves to be on a US Mint issued commemorative.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that you mention it, I am surprised that Einstein has not been on a commemorative or some type of coin.... Cheers, RickO
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's on a number of coins from other countries including Canada, Germany and Switzerland.

In the US, he's on a $5 gold coin issued by a US territory, CNMI. Would PCGS certify this given it's issued by a US territorial government?

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a call from Mel yesterday and submitted an order for 5 of these plus 1 which will be "unique". Hopefully, the order will also include 5 "trial strikes". Of the 5 Einstein Coins (non-Trial Strikes), 3 will be for sale.

For those that are interested, the Pope Francis Over Strikes ended up with only a mintage of 235 coins. I have no idea on the break down of 2015-P's and 2015-D's.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 19Lyds
    I got a call from Mel yesterday and submitted an order for 5 of these plus 1 which will be "unique". Hopefully, the order will also include 5 "trial strikes". Of the 5 Einstein Coins (non-Trial Strikes), 3 will be for sale.

For those that are interested, the Pope Francis Over Strikes ended up with only a mintage of 235 coins. I have no idea on the break down of 2015-P's and 2015-D's.

The I got a call from Mel post of the year.
  • I think I will pick up a D & S mintmark and should come with 2 brass trial strikes.

A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
    Make sure you check out the Kickstarter link in the YouTube comments for the offers and static images.
    The Mel Wacks Einstein Over Strikes arrived yesterday.

This must have been a real challenge since the thickness of circulated Barbers varies greatly. Some appear to be paper thin which is why I guess a test strike on a brass token comes with each one.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    Thanks for the post Lee. Looks like the technique is improving as much as the reverse side is still intact on this one.

The brass trial strikes sell for $15 and up to 100 will be struck. Very nice if you got one included for free!
    Originally posted by: Hydrant

I watched the video. Mel seems like a nice enough guy, but why the 1915 Barber Halfs? It's painful. Kennedys, Franklins maybe, but Barbers? What am I missing here? What a waste.

Einstein's general theory of relativity was published in 1915 so having 1915 coins takes you closer to the era of the discovery.
    Originally posted by: Zoins

Thanks for the post Lee. Looks like the technique is improving as much as the reverse side is still intact on this one.

The brass trial strikes sell for $15 and up to 100 will be struck. Very nice if you got one included for free!
    The mintage will be limited to 100 pieces and each piece that is purchased is accompanied with one of the trial strikes.

I've not heard from Mr. Wacks that the trial strike pieces would be sold for $15 each. Only as freebies for the purchase of one of the coins.

The name is LEE!
  • csdotcsdot Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    He's on a number of coins from other countries including Canada, Germany and Switzerland.

In the US, he's on a $5 gold coin issued by a US territory, CNMI. Would PCGS certify this given it's issued by a US territorial government?

Looks a whole lot like this coin:

The mintage will be limited to 100 pieces and each piece that is purchased is accompanied with one of the trial strikes.

I've not heard from Mr. Wacks that the trial strike pieces would be sold for $15 each. Only as freebies for the purchase of one of the coins.

Mel has the brass trial strikes for sale at $15 on his Kickstarter page I posted above which says there will be a limit of 100 brass trial strikes.
    Also, how many trial strikes are typically needed? Is 100 a typical number for production use or are these more likely created for collectors?
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mel has the brass trial strikes for sale at $15 on his Kickstarter page I posted above which says there will be a limit of 100 brass trial strikes.

I pledged for a brass trial strike.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pictures of the completed product.... very nice. Cheers, RickO

While I had glanced at that page, I didn't read it, simply book marked it.

In the mean time, Mr. Wacks called me directly with an offer in addition to an email, none of which indicated that the trial strikes would be sold individually.

My apologies.

Of those I did purchase, he asked that I NOT sell them on eBay.

The name is LEE!
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The piece is too busy.I pass.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Originally posted by: mr1874

Is there a Mel Wacks design you like for comparison purposes?

Originally posted by: mr1874

Is there a Mel Wacks design you like for comparison purposes?

I'm inclined to agree on the "busy" part since, on some of the coins, the overstrike just doesn't stand out all that well.

Maybe its the fact that it's done on a well circulated coin that lacks the clear definition to distinguish the overstrike from the rest of the coins design?

The name is LEE!
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mel Wacks Einstein Over Strikes arrived yesterday.

Today I got an email from Kickstarter:

"Unfortunately, this project did not reach its funding goal by its deadline... your pledge has been automatically canceled."

Does that mean Mel Wacks will NOT produce any more Einstein coins?

Then maybe 19Lyds got a one-of-a-kind bargain.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Originally posted by: COCollector

Today I got an email from Kickstarter:

"Unfortunately, this project did not reach its funding goal by its deadline... your pledge has been automatically canceled."

Does that mean Mel Wacks will NOT produce any more Einstein coins?

Then maybe 19Lyds got a one-of-a-kind bargain.

I think it just means Mel's not obligated to sell any under the Kickstarter offer. He can, of course, still sell them other ways.
  • Hi, The Einstein design is quite clear if you tilt the coin. I liked the test strike on brass so much that I decided to give one free with each counterstamped half dollar. It was difficult counterstamping the halves and about 10% had to be rejected due to errors and poor strikes. If you have any questions please email me at numismel@aol.com. Happy New Year to all! Mel
  • The Einstein counterstamped 1915 Barber halves are sold out. I did not sell the brass trial strikes separately--but gave one free with each half. I originally made a few as trial strikes to make sure that the press was set up properly, and then I decided to make additional pieces because the Einstein counterstamp was so nice and clear on the trial strikes. This was the first time that I was there personally to make sure that every coin was counterstamped properly. We had to readjust the pressure a number of times so the coins came out as nice as possible.
  • BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

While I had glanced at that page, I didn't read it, simply book marked it.

In the mean time, Mr. Wacks called me directly with an offer in addition to an email, none of which indicated that the trial strikes would be sold individually.

My apologies.

Of those I did purchase, he asked that I NOT sell them on eBay.

Lee, I can understand why first hand why he wouldn't want you selling them on eBay .
    I purchased two Mel Pope Kennedy over strikes from you on this forum , only to find you selling them cheaper to anyone on eBay . Very interesting that you would charge a member here more than just any buyer out there and considering you had to pay the eBay fees . Your service and product were great, but to see you selling them cheaper with fees to anyone was quite disappointing image
  • BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: melwacks
    The Einstein counterstamped 1915 Barber halves are sold out. I did not sell the brass trial strikes separately--but gave one free with each half. I originally made a few as trial strikes to make sure that the press was set up properly, and then I decided to make additional pieces because the Einstein counterstamp was so nice and clear on the trial strikes. This was the first time that I was there personally to make sure that every coin was counterstamped properly. We had to readjust the pressure a number of times so the coins came out as nice as possible.

Mel. Please let me know how I can purchase any and all of your products directly from you .
    I'm a fan and will purchase every release and in quantity . Please either contact me through here or my email addy: bigpoppas@ comcast.net

I will always accept your requests when it comes to eBay policy .
    Thanks , Larry
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    Einstein deserves to be on a US Mint issued commemorative.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file