Home Metal Detecting
Options

Bucket List Find - Two Cent Piece

Some pretty amazing things happened this week, first got the chance to detect in December in New England - nearly unheard of! Second, went on a brief (under 45 minutes) hunt just before the sun went down and darkness fell around 4pm, rarely get the time to hunt these days it seems. Went to a baseball field that has been around for a while but to my knowledge didn't go back past the 1960s, just hoping to find some clad or possibly jewelry. Found some clad and then dug this copper signal and popped out what looked like an arcade token in the gathering darkness. Didn't think anything of it until I cleaned it off at home a bit and discovered it was an 1865 two cent piece! Not sure whether or not to clean it further with some olive oil. Something to cross off the bucket list for sure, have to do some research on this site to see what was there before the ballfield.

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats on a bucket list coin! At least you can get a date off of it. That's a tough one about cleaning, but there does appear to be some detail under that brown layer of crust. It seems worthy of a soak in oil. Sometime I use warm HP as a start. I've had mixed results but it does get some crud off.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations... I agree with pcgs69.... an olive oil soak may be beneficial... remember,

that is a long term process... weeks... Good luck...Cheers, RickO