Home U.S. Coin Forum

Political Memorabilia

pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
For those who collect US political memorabilia, there are 214 lots of medals, pins, ribbons, and other ephemera in the Heritage weekly rare book auction (#201551).

I have no connection with (or interest in) this stuff. I just saw it while browsing the book auction and thought it odd to have it there. But last week, the book auction had a group of antique medical instruments including a lot of 10 nineteenth century amputation tools that brought $300.

I think this link will get you there.

Remember the vig is 25% (min $14) in this sale.

Comments

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Bump for Mr. Jones in the AM
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! I am aware of this sale. Heritage is a rather tough place to purchase political items because of their 25% buyers' fee. The other political auction houses generally charge 15%. If there is interest I just purchased an interesting John F. Kennedy button from 1956. I expect to get it in the mail next week.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it the New England Presents Senator John F. Kennedy for Vice President?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones
    Heritage is a rather tough place to purchase political items because of their 25% buyers' fee.

Holy Cow!
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

Heritage is a rather tough place to purchase political items because of their 25% buyers' fee.

Holy Cow!

What difference does it make? Just as with coins, just back it out when figuring your bids.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of my fun pinbacks.

Originally posted by: pruebas
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

Holy Cow!

What difference does it make? Just as with coins, just back it out when figuring your bids.

People in the Heritage political auctions bid as if there is no buyers' fee. There is no is no Red Book for political items. The main price guide has not been updated in over 10 years, and it is much harder to get meaningful auction results. I can buy similar items for less money in political items auctions that charge a 15% buyers' fee.

Heritage sells a lot of 3 D items. I mostly collect tokens, buttons, studs and a few paper items.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Originally posted by: coinkat
    Is it the New England Presents Senator John F. Kennedy for Vice President?

It is the "Profiles in Courage" variety.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats Bill

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I have an "I Like Ike" pin, but below the slogan it says "Even Better." Why is that?

• JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlfredStewart said:
    I have an "I Like Ike" pin, but below the slogan it says "Even Better." Why is that?

I suspect it is from his re-election campaign in 1956 and as a result those that “liked Ike” in 1952 liked him “even better” in 1956.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file