Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How are "ordinary" coins doing in today's market?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
I find myself getting out of touch with the actual market for "ordinary" coins. How are they doing in today's market? By "ordinary" I mean just that, they are problem-free but unspectacular coins that are ok for the grade but no more.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on completed auctions they are doing fine as many collectors will go for unspectacular if they get a deal.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell, common material / ordinary coins have been languishing for quite some time. It used to be that you just needed to avoid problem coins but now it is smart to avoid common/ordinary as well...unless you are buying them at the right price. In that case, prices seem to be significantly lower than 5 years ago.

I try to find a strong niche and stick with that while going after the best examples at fair prices. I have always done well when I focus on that.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not being as well versed as others here, is there a short and sweet answer to what exactly constitutes ordinary coins?

Can it be defined by series, grade or price alone, or are all of those things factors that need to be considered.

Example: Can any problem free early gold, regardless of grade, be considered ordinary.

It's just something I have found to be a bit confusing at times. Separating the widgets from the extraordinary through a broadly accepted definition.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JohnnyCache
    Not being as well versed as others here, is there a short and sweet answer to what exactly constitutes ordinary coins?.
    Just as a ballpark I'd say if you searched eBay for a date/mm/grade and found at least 10 for sale, that would be ordinary

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Not being as well versed as others here, is there a short and sweet answer to what exactly constitutes ordinary coins?.
    Just as a ballpark I'd say if you searched eBay for a date/mm/grade and found at least 10 for sale, that would be ordinary

Right now there are 14 Chain cents for sale on eBay and I doubt anyone worth his salt would call them ordinary.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordinary coins seem to be selling well right now for me. Just not at the prices I would like. image

Seems to me right now there are a lot of buyers for lower cost coins, but most of the people I have been dealing with lately are looking for deals.

Couple months ago I was relisting a coin and lowering the price, accidentally typed a $500 instead of $800(Greysheet bid). Got an offer for $300 and change. Would have gotten themselves a great deal on a Seated Dollar had they not warned me of my mistake and just hit BIN.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple months ago I was relisting a coin and lowering the price, accidentally typed a $500 instead of $800(Greysheet bid). Got an offer for $300 and change. Would have gotten themselves a great deal on a Seated Dollar had they not warned me of my mistake and just hit BIN.

I can't wait to see Monday's threads on here:

"I made a best offer on a Seated dollar on eBay, and the seller not only declined, he RAISED the price by $300 right after that to teach me a lesson!!!!"

"What a jerk! Out him so I can block him!!!!!"
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rhedden

I can't wait to see Monday's threads on here:

"I made a best offer on a Seated dollar on eBay, and the seller not only declined, he RAISED the price by $300 right after that to teach me a lesson!!!!"

"What a jerk! Out him so I can block him!!!!!"

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Originally posted by: bigjpst

Ordinary coins seem to be selling well right now for me. Just not at the prices I would like. image

Seems to me right now there are a lot of buyers for lower cost coins, but most of the people I have been dealing with lately are looking for deals.

Would you mind pricing some coins like that again and only telling me about it as I need to find some good quick deals? LOL
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: abcde12345

Right now there are 14 Chain cents for sale on eBay and I doubt anyone worth his salt would call them ordinary.

It's nice to have my own stalker image

However, if you actually understood my guesstimate and followed instructions, you would find:

1793 chain cent P01 = 1

1793 chain cent AG = 3

1793 chain cent G = 6

1793 chain cent VG = 3

1793 chain cent F = 4

1793 chain cent VF = 7

1793 chain cent AU = 2

It doesn't appear that any of these would fall under the definition.
    But keep trying. Perhaps you will be able to impress me one day image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's just say they're not doing anything extraordinary.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: abcde12345

Although using a chain cent is perhaps a bit more dramatic than my example of a no problem early gold coin, they are in essence both examples of the very thing to which I'm referring. The idea of a common coin today, particularly when viewed in light of how the internet has allowed us of all to come in contact with coins that 20 to 30 years ago we may not have ever had the chance to see locally, has transformed what each of us might consider to be common based upon our own circumstances and collecting preferences. What that transformation has resulted in exactly, is my question. Now I'm not trying to be overly naive, clearly there are common coins that everyone, or nearly everyone, recognizes to be generic. However, with so many niche areas of collecting and such a wide spread of budgets, from church mice to whales, I feel it can be hard, collectively, to agree on what is common or inversely, what is scarce. jmho.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remind me - why would you buy an ordinary coin??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe about as well as the "ordinary people" purchasing them. A bit OT, but the media uses the term quite a bit, "ordinary Americans". Just what constitutes an "ordinary American"? Or an ordinary coin.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I would say they are doing about the same as this website, slow.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

Possibly because most of the extraordinary coins aren't available.

Why are people wasting $$ slabbing common date ms63 Morgans, even at $5 a pop?
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much all I have purchased through the years are "common, ordinary" coins. The difference is I try and find them with an uncommon look. This could be but not limited to originality ( I define that for myself) Great strike perhaps on a Bust half that doesn't usually come that way. It could be for great eye-appeal, or a filthy dirty look which I also can define with eye-appeal.

And the list goes on. Are they still common in some folks eyes..... of course. And I'm OK with that. And I've never had a problem selling any of these. Whether it be to dealers, so-called dealers, and even collectors.

But selling usually isn't on my mind when I buy. Of course I prefer to only be buried 6 feet, which I believe is fair. I'm sure someone would have brought this up as that seems to be all some folks care about is $$$$$.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: stman
    Pretty much all I have purchased through the years are "common, ordinary" coins. The difference is I try and find them with an uncommon look. This could be but not limited to originality ( I define that for myself) Great strike perhaps on a Bust half that doesn't usually come that way. It could be for great eye-appeal, or a filthy dirty look which I also can define with eye-appeal.

And the list goes on. Are they still common in some folks eyes..... of course. And I'm OK with that. And I've never had a problem selling any of these. Whether it be to dealers, so-called dealers, and even collectors.

But selling usually isn't on my mind when I buy. Of course I prefer to only be buried 6 feet, which I believe is fair. I'm sure someone would have brought this up as that seems to be all some folks care about is $$$$$.

The coins you describe looking for are not "ordinary" coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because it's fun and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were an ordinary coin collector.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zoins

Excellent point. Looking for an "ordinary" yet extraordinary coin, such as a flashy MS63 common date/MM Walker is both a challenge and exciting.

This in and of itself pays dividends in enjoyment and perhaps a bit of profit down the road.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bowers has been preaching that for years - no matter what grade you're collecting, buy one that's really eye appealing for the grade, whether it's VF, XF, AU or MS. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Here are a few of my own "extraordinary-ordinary" coins. Coins that are not rare, not 5 figures or more and generally available at any moderate to large show or auction venue. Perhaps one or two might skirt the edge of being scarce but I don't think they would fully hit that definition. I tend to enjoy AU to MS grade/quality coins and I find these to be extraordinary-ordinary to me. Those with more specialized collections or larger budgets might find these to be terribly ordinary. The meaning of ordinary is different to different people. I hope the market for coins such as these remains active, however if that is not to be I can wholeheartedly say that I'm ok with that as I have and will likely continue, until my death, to enjoy looking at them.

Sorry for all the pics but this thread needed a few examples from different peoples perspectives.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RYK

If you were an ordinary coin collector.

The problem with the coin hobby may be that there are fewer ordinary collectors these days.
  • Options
    Had a nice chat with Roxie, yesterday. Man we covered a thousand miles and a few millenniums in about 20 minutes on the phone.

At the end of the conversation we had this ordinary connection. One of respect. Common as it is ; so it is. And the chat started with a most common cent… all over a 1927 Lincoln wheat cent with no beard or hair detail , much as I could tell from a phone chat and leading questions.

Today, about 10 minutes ago, two young gents about that same age came in with some common date (ordinary ) silver dollars. He left with them, even after a long chat about the Canadian currency, and Mexican pesos and other coins his grandma left him. Then I looked at an interesting belt buckle made of silver with 3 good sized turquoise stones in it. Surrounded by engraved leaf, I told them it was "nice, but I don't think I'd wear a belt with this buckle". They laughed and agreed they wouldn't , either .
    Nowadays, what is "common" isn't always "ordinary", ordinarily. What is common, in this field, is availability. Most people are genuinely kind hearted and just going from point A to point B… and having a fun and fine transactions along that path, if possible.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been doing well on "ordinary" coins like VG Common Date Barber Halves. It all ads up whether $20 or $20000 coin. So I reject trying to classify coins as ordinary or as widgets especially if the issue is not circulating.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakesammman stated:
    Remind me - why would you buy an ordinary coin?? ------------------------- "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity"

Response: Because they are in silly sample slabs??????image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JohnnyCache.... you have some very nice, ordinary, coins there... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    I will do searches for certain VAM's.

Several cool varieties with populations under 100, yet you might find 25 of them listed on Ebay.

I don't know where the market is today, but it would seem a fertile ground to play.

There seem to be a few die hard collectors in VAM's and a bunch of cherry pickers who would rather wait and find their own example.

Such scarcity (and some downright rare) makes ordinary interesting.

I find it gives a lot of bang per buck and stabilizes the value of ones collection.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can one expect to dig out of a 6' hole with one arm and legimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

JohnnyCache.... you have some very nice, ordinary, coins there... Cheers, RickO

AU-58's are still grossly underappreciated.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Zoins

Yeah, like it cost man when _ _ _ made woman. It was designed that it would only cost him a rib. Now it costs a whole new kitchen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file