Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the incidence of finding major error coins in mint sewn bags?

We see lots of really cool error coins. Many times I wonder where those are first found. At various times, I have opened 3 mint sewn $50 bags of Lincoln cents - 1972, 1977 and 1980. Each time I was hoping to find a major error. Nothing. So that makes me wonder - how many bags would you have to go through to expect to find a major error coin? (I know the 1972 bag likely contains minor double die coins, but I am talking about major errors such as off center, double struck, clips, die caps or struck through die cap, ect.)

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I dunno. I guess that's why they are rare
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1982 or 1983 I had a friend who was vault mgr. at a local bank. One day

he had 10 bags of fresh from the Reserve cents. The business that ordered them

wanted them rolled. Out of the 10 bags the wrapping machine found 2 off-center

cents. There may have been clips or cuds but these 2 were caught. They did not

have dates. I paid him $1.00 for the pair.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day it was more likely. Nowadays, not so likely.

When is the separation between "back in the day" and "nowadays"? I don't know.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on rarity and Tibor's post, I would say chances are slim....I have always suspected,

without a shred of evidence, that many error coins get out of the mint by nefarious means.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    I dunno. I guess that's why they are rare

There you are, TRUE statement.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to find major error coins, the best way is to buy them as you will never find them yourself. If you factor in the time people spend searching for major errors, then you soon realize that all major major error coins are waaaaaay under priced.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    I found a $4k Ike error in a Mint Set a few years ago. I've also found No S proof sets a few times. All the sets were in bulk purchases from dealers.

I would think the odds of finding a major error in a mint bag about the same as unsearched lots of mint & proof sets.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a bag of Bicentennial halves back in 1975. Found two railroad rims. Sold them to Fred Weinberg. Only errors I ever found in a mint-sewn bag.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been giving this reply to the OP's question,

asked quite often at coin shows, emails, phone calls:

You can go thru 1,000 Mint Sewn Bags of coins and not

find a single mechanical error - but in the 1,001st Bag,

you might find one or 200 off center cents.

Take the Multi-Billions of coins the Mint strikes for circulation,

figure out how many bags (or now, mostly Ballistic Bags) those

coins could fill, and you'll see that (pre-Ballistic Bag) there would

be many many thousands of 5,000 coin Cent bags, for example

that would be issued every year.

If mechanical errors could be found in one in ten bags, they certainly

wouldn't be worth as much now, would they?

The incidence of finding an error in a bag is random - one press malfunctions,

and the error output from that particular press might be caught and destroyed,

or hundreds of errors could be minted, and go thru the procedures without

being caught - but the odds are those errors would go into only some of the

bags, mixed in with tens of thousands of normal coins, before they get to a

counting or wrapping facility.

I've gone thru hundreds of mint SEWN bags in my 43+ years, and have only

found a few clips, struck thru's, and minor items - I've never found a common

off center cent.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, I always like posting in thread that are older than the stuff in my fridge. Well, maybe most of the stuff in my fridge...

Considering the advancement in high speed optical sorting/rejection equipment use in everything from rice and other foods to small mechanical components, I can't see why they wouldn't do it with coins.

Non-circular, off color, even off-weight coins could be culled. Things like die breaks, strike throughs, and doubled dies could make it through (and even many of those could be caught), but I would think it would be pretty easy to catch problem coins in today's manufacturing environment.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@oih82w8 said:
    Back in the day it was more likely. Nowadays, not so likely.

>

When is the separation between "back in the day" and "nowadays"? I don't know.

"Back in the day" is before you could do it and "nowadays" is when you can't afford to.

:p

That's probably the best analogy I have ever seen.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Analogies-R-Us
    :D

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nowadays there are still things that I couldn't afford back in the day.

I have kinda seen errors from mint bags that were found in a "when it rains, it pours" fashion. Back in 1982-83, I saw 22 off-center quarters that all came from the same original 1982 bag. Most had dates. I had a chance to get them and didn't, stupid me.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slim to none.

I have found two major mint errors searching rolls and bags.

I no longer search rolls and bags, I search the internet instead.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2018 9:16AM

At one time I had 40 or so major off-centers, cents and dimes all with full dates. Every single one of them was purchased from eBay or the back pages of Coin World or Numismatic News.

Best thing I ever got out of a roll or bag was a blank copper planchet (several times).

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

I have opened 4 Lincoln cent bags and in one dated 1974-P I found 4 coins with very small clips. I think I was very lucky :D .

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I opened bag's of cents and found some clips, opened some nickel bags and found a cool coin. I think it was a Nickel struck on Philippine plan Chet. I know I still have it and I know where it is in my error box I'll pull it in a bit..

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

After searching many new rolls I have found exactly one error worth mentioning: a 2016 nickel overstruck on a 2015 nickel. I have never found a clip, cud, or blank planchet, any one of which is infinitely more common than the coin I did find.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have searched rolls, but never bags.... I have only one blank cent planchet...and I found that in change.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file