Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mount Rushmore Of Non-Sports Cards

PSA has their new Mount Rushmore of cards survey on their main page, this is Non-Sports cards. The current list includes:

1959 The 3 Stooges #1 Curly

1962 Mars Attacks #21 Prize Captive

1940 Superman #1 Superman

While I am not a big Non-Sports collector, and I am sure a lot of folks will chime in that are, I think that the choices for the 4th were lackluster. If I had to think of a Non-Sports card that captured a generation and was the face of a product, it would be this one:

Comments

• vols1vols1 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭
    U.S. Caramel William McKinley and R72 "Strong Man" are the grail cards. I never even heard of those others.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    The 59 Curly #1 is my favorite all time non sports card. Impossible to find in a 8 or higher.
  • PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    The C3PO "error" card from Star Wars Series 4 (Green)?
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PM770
    The C3PO "error" card from Star Wars Series 4 (Green)?

I was thinking there should be Star Wars representation, this is probably too risque to make the Rushmore, but would get my vote.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭
    Garbage Pail was what got me into collecting when I was in kindergarten, so I'm partial to Adam Bomb, although I totally see the other cards being the most iconic. The Curly card is classic and I have always wanted the 3PO error card. Maybe a shout out to Wacky Packages for guys who grew up in the early 70's?
  • I'm gonna go ahead and be the bad guy and say that a thread with "non sports" in the title probably doesn't belong in the sports forum. There is a nonsports forum for discussions just like this.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Happy to say I own (most) of one!

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    I'm gonna go ahead and be the bad guy and say that a thread with "non sports" in the title probably doesn't belong in the sports forum. There is a nonsports forum for discussions just like this.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since PSA moved wrestling cards to Non Sport in the registry I voted for a card that wasn't listed.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #2 Hulk Hogan

If a 10 ever hits it will easily be one of the most expensive modern cards and even though Hulk Hogan is on the cold list right now you can never count out the Hulkster.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the Horrors of War?
    Mike
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I'm not very familiar with the Mars Attacks set, but is the Prize Captive card scarce? Wondering why that card is on their list over all the others in the set.

And 1940 Superman #1 is not the big card in the set. I believe it is card number #72 (the last card in the set) which is very short printed and sells about 5 to 10X the amount of card #1.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best card in the Horrors of War set is Hitler so I doubt that will make it even though value wise it is way up there in high grade.

• Prize Captive has an iconic 50s babe being attacked by a weird Space Alien. It's so of-the-era that it sums up the whole set. Very highly demanded.
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prize Captive from my collection. I am mainly into sports cards, but I really like this card for its iconic image, color etc.

• I'll echo the Garbage Pail Kids. So iconic. They came out when the baseball card boom was in full swing, and so many of us gobbled up GPKs much to the chagrin of parents and teachers everywhere image

No game cars? I figured The Black Lotus would be included. Those cards fetch very high dollars.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I figured The Black Lotus would be included. Those cards fetch very high dollars.

Agreed. People have even killed over it.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vols1
    U.S. Caramel William McKinley and R72 "Strong Man" are the grail cards. I never even heard of those others.

I agree these are two of the most sought after non-sport cards ever produced. But I think therein lies the problem they are so scarce that hardly anyone has one.

• cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
  • natetrooknatetrook Posts: 613 ✭✭✭
    How about Magic the Gathering Black lotus card
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ndleo
    How about the Horrors of War?

Bingo!!