Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grades and Trueviews in for a toned Silver Proof set.

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
All from a 2005-S Silver Proof set that I picked up at a local show recently. The Sac, Jeffs, and Roosie were not worthy. Hope you enjoy natures paintbrush. Thanks to Phil and his team for some beautiful pictures.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are very attractive!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOVE them all. Did you acquire these in the original packaging?

OINK
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than the cent, the rest look burnt and I'd be surprised if there is much of a premium or demand for them.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome quarters! Being from WV, I really like the WV quarter!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are really great pics. Nice coins too!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: abcde12345

Other than the cent, the rest look burnt and I'd be surprised if there is much of a premium or demand for them.

Disagree. There is plenty of demand for those. If I had the spare cash, I would make an offer for a Toned Birth Year Proof Set for...let's just say a child I know.

Burned, no. The packaging of the last 20-ish years, stored in the right bad environment does this. I have seen plenty to know.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Indian, Yes, they were in the original packaging and I submitted them in it.
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    You could call it "The Sunset Set".

Calif is breathtaking!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While everyone is familiar with my aversion for tarnish, I will say that West Virginia reverse

is unique.... sort of a sunset effect. No, I am not converting... image Cheers, RickO

Originally posted by: ricko

While everyone is familiar with my aversion for tarnish, I will say that West Virginia reverse

is unique.... sort of a sunset effect. No, I am not converting... image Cheers, RickO

That's probably the kindest thing you have ever said about a toner Ricko. image

I'm not questioning their authenticity regarding the patina, just surprised, outside of the Lincoln cent, others find them attractive.

I'm not questioning their authenticity regarding the patina, just surprised, outside of the Lincoln cent, others find them attractive.

If you are surprised, you may have more to learn about toned coins.

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i love those quarters
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are some pretty SHQs. I especially like the Crater Lake.

I've never seen toning like the cent has. It looks like one of those "spinning art" pictures you could make with that toy that had paper spinning around and you would squeeze paint on it. I don't remember what that was called but I had one as a kid.
    Originally posted by: bolivarshagnasty

If you are surprised, you may have more to learn about toned coins.

I suppose you're right. Fair enough.
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the toning, the WV and CA SHQ are my favorites image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the toning on any of them and would pay no premium for them. If selling, however, I would try to sell them for a premium since a market for them apparently exists.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • With the toning in the center, makes it have a gased look. I prefer toning that starts from the edges and goes towards the centers or it covering the entire surface. Just what I like is all.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I saw about a dozen beautifully toned state quarters at a local coin show but did not partake. They were in 2x2 flips.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Very pretty set. Congrats.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A true target tone on the cent.
    Love the quarters.
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like. Looks like they got a little moisture on them and toned like that. Too young of coins to be very natural to me.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bathroom or attic toning?

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they look awesome. The reverses of the quarters are tremendous.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet coins!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Indian, Yes, they were in the original packaging and I submitted them in it.

---I'm not questioning their authenticity regarding the patina

this is a tricky one. I don't "question the authenticity" but it should be understood that the recent sets aren't tamper proof, coins can be easily removed, worked on and replaced. to that end, abcde12345 has a valid point. the coins are somewhat attractive but I wouldn't have been surprised to see PCGS call them either AT or environmentally damaged.

the latter is what I tend to view them as.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful set of toners. I like 'em.

Mike
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with Morkubine Porcupine;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZdsNOEC2RA
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

image I don't like the look of the 25c's Except I know there will be a huge premium for them.
    To be clear, I did not resurrect this thread. The coins in the thread were easy to sell and I did very well on them. Kept the Kansas for my personal collection. Several made there way into the Coinfacts images. In hindsight, I shouldn't have sold the WV, as it was the cream of the crop.
    Originally posted by: BG

Bought them at a show, the entire 2005-S Silver Proof Set. Will never know what conditions they were subjected to. The Silver Proofs toned are not uncommon out there. May have even been something in the government packaging as the PCI holders were prone to.

To many oak trees and not enough willows.image
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

To be clear, I did not resurrect this thread.

Well there is certainly nothing wrong with thread resurrection, even if it IS a thread you started, as long you have something more to say that you feel others may be interested in.

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: BG

The Silver Proofs toned are not uncommon out there.

If true, show me some others of that year toned as such.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file