Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Holiday guess the grade contest - win a couple of 8 Reales!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nice contest. Thank you. AU55
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭
    58 here
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess it's going to have to be a lucky Valentines contest imageimageimageimageimage

Only if I receive it within the next week.

Sent the auction house an email a few days ago and haven't heard back. I have a feeling I might be going through the same process Boosibri went through the first time.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Nothing like a GTG contest with a beautiful giveaway to get things rolling on the Darkside Forum. I'll add to the flurry with a guess of MS64. Thanks for getting the "ole" blood flowing here again.
    Paul
  • Options
    Coin arrived this afternoon and i will shoot it over to our hosts tomorrow/monday the latest. After that - whatever the turnaround for world express is at the time and we'll have ourselves a winner!
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having seen it in hand, what do YOU think it'll grade?
  • Options
    Pruebas - I sent you a PM. Don't want to influence any guesses, as people still have a chance to get theirs in image
  • Options
    MS60

That's got to be it!
    Hi, My name is Andrew. I'm 12 years old and I love collecting old coins and bills, (mostly US money) I used to be a Coin Talk member, but now I have joined this forum.

I have been collecting for about 1 year now, (As of 1/24/2016)
  • Options
    Order entered into the system: 2/1/2016 under World Express.

Get your last-minute grade guesses in!
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the opportunity to guess. Tough, I'll say MS62.

Jeff
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU-53
  • Options
    BLee23BLee23 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    AU58, beautiful!!
    Successful BST Transactions: sinin1, Kryptonitecomics, seemyauction, RyGuy, cucamongacoin, holeinone1972, Ciccio, sbeverly, Gerard, Topstuf, Downtown1974, CaptHenway, PerryHall, Barndog, LukeMarshall, Cent1225, commoncents05, Soldi, SurfinxHI
  • Options
    Grades are in!

First, let's admire Phil's photography. He captured the color wonderfully!

Now, to select the winner!

4 people guessed the correct grade:

JohnnyCache

Top50SetBuilder

Stuart

Steviewah

I assigned a number from 1 to 4 to each finalist and ran it through the random number generator at www.random.org, which selected #1

imageimageimageJohnnyCache is our winner!!!! imageimageimage

Top50SetBuilder, Stuart, Stevie - if you want to send me your contact address, i'll send you a little runner-up gift of Darkside image

Oh, the final grade was AU 55. A bit disappointing, since I didn't see any obvious wear. Most likely the grade is due to luster being muted under all that toning. But as my fiancé likes to say - "C'est la vie!" image

P.S. In the same submission I had an 1820 8 Reales that also went AU55. It was a crack-out from NGC 55 plastic.

P.P.S. I requested the old green Anniversary label for this order - can't wait to see how these look in-hand.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bit disappointing as you say is an understatement...its been a long time since I've been off by such a wide margin.

Either I'm losing my edge (yikes), perhaps you got totally shafted!

And considering, all the GTG's at 62-64, or even 58 thru 64 and we are not idiots.

You want to tell me this piece graded 55?

I give you credit for handling it as you did. You are a class act 2K!

Now I'm Leary to send in a few pcs myself sheees!
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a super sharp strike -- the photo captures it beautifully. But I agree that it's undergraded at 55.

~jack
  • Options
    Originally posted by: marcmoish

A bit disappointing as you say is an understatement...its been a long time since I've been off by such a wide margin.

Either I'm losing my edge (yikes), perhaps you got totally shafted!

And considering, all the GTG's at 62-64, or even 58 thru 64 and we are not idiots.

You want to tell me this piece graded 55?

I give you credit for handling it as you did. You are a class act 2K!

Now I'm Leary to send in a few pcs myself sheees!

marcmoish - let it be the worst thing that happens to me this year image Plus I was at work when the grades were posted and punching the monitor would not have gone over well with my team.

Originally posted by: jgenn

That's a super sharp strike -- the photo captures it beautifully. But I agree that it's undergraded at 55.

~jack

Jack! Great to see you posting on these boards!

If you don't know Jack (no pun intended), he's a fellow 8 Reales collector (columnarios and portraits) with some awesome sets across the street with some registry awards, to boot!

Here are a few of my favorites:

Charles III Pillars

1832-1821 Mexico Type Set

Charles III Portraits - 8 years best in category, best presented set

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    From the picture, it looks undergraded to me at 55, but then again, who am I to say that our hosts and gods of grading aren't right?

Congrats to JohnyCas... no JohnnyCache image

P.P.S. I requested the old green Anniversary label for this order - can't wait to see how these look in-hand.

What old Green Anniverary label? image I've been away for tooooo long but I'll share some other gossip with you all.

Did you know that PCGS Currency, is independent from CU since 2009, and they EVEN BOUGHT THAT SPACE in the forum from Mr Chief Don W? Now,PCGS suddenly woke up and found out that the world banknote pie is too big for PMG (from the across the street group) to eat it all alone, and worrying about PMG's health, they've created PCGS/ banknotes which has NOTHING to do with PCGS currency, in the currency forum. Now what about US notes? Things might get very complicated there and I have no idea about the details, but PCGS opened PCGS/banknotes in Paris, Hong Kong and Beijing, and these notes, submitted at THESE offices are getting holdered and graded by PCGS/banknotes, but I still want to send in a bulk submission to their ex cousins with whom they're not so friendly anymore, because their rates are much cheaper....

So now it's your turn: What OG Anniversary holder? Any linky? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dimitri, it's one of the labels available this year commemorating PCGS's 30th Anniversary. This one looks similar to the classical OGH:

• Options
    I feel this coin should be higher than it's AU55 grade. IMO please compared to a XF45 on ebay. Which has so much less detail.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1794MO-MEXICO-FM-EIGHT-REALES-XF45-NGC-Circulated-/151409684554?hash=item2340b8704a:gimageaMAAOSw-jhUE8uI

Anyone have a better comparison in AU55 or higher.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JohnnyCache image
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, my input was a 62. But 55???
    I do understand the disappointment here.
    Maybe its time to crack it out and resubmit as new?
    I know, everyone has their own "grading criteria". and I believe many of us are on the same or very similar grading- "frequency".
    question: what is their reason for such a low grade?
    do they tell you when you ask? ( I have never sent to a US TPG as I do only Canadian coins. )
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Mrcardsniper

I feel this coin should be higher than it's AU55 grade. IMO please compared to a XF45 on ebay. Which has so much less detail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1794MO...?hash=item2340b8704a:gimageaMAAOSw-jhUE8uI

Anyone have a better comparison in AU55 or higher.

Here are some of my AU55's for comparison, Mrcardsniper:

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Roman, what a great comparison! I now remember disagreeing already, especially with number two and number three, but this LAST one that you've submitted, IMHO exceeds them all, condition wise.I can see slight problems or slight wear here and there in practically every other example (and even then, not deserving a 55), I have no idea of its value, but frankly, I'd wait a little and yes, even though I RARELY EVER RESUBMIT, even for $$$$$-$$$$$$ coins, partly because I know their real grades inside me and partly because the undergrading is a great STOP to any thought of selling them, I'd crack it out and resubmit it. This is beyond frustrating.

Thanks for the info on the 30th Anniversary label. Now all I need to find out, is if I can rejoin PCGS at Gold level, (I happen to have 3 out of 4 of the coins needed anyway, and the 4th won't take long), and if the 4 vouchers will allow me to get a special label such as this one, or if I have to pay more, OR use a different submission form. You can always PM me too if you want. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty nice for a 55...I still like my guess of AU58. I've found that sometimes PCGS is a lot tighter with the higher AU grades, especially on the toned coins falling on the darker side of the spectrum. Maybe they were looking for a little more remaining luster in the fields? I really wouldn't be surprised if it went 58 if resubmitted. Either way, nice coin. That reverse looks borderline Unc.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice coin!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OriginalDan

That's pretty nice for a 55...I still like my guess of AU58. I've found that sometimes PCGS is a lot tighter with the higher AU grades, especially on the toned coins falling on the darker side of the spectrum. Maybe they were looking for a little more remaining luster in the fields? I really wouldn't be surprised if it went 58 if resubmitted. Either way, nice coin. That reverse looks borderline Unc.

Dan - 100% aligned on everything you said in your post. PCGS values luster tremendously and that's often the reason why a lot of cross-overs don't make it when submitting NGC plastic.At the end of the day, I love this coin: strike, color, surfaces - all fit my collection perfectly. And perhaps down the road I will get it regraded to AU58 by our host, but it won't change my enjoyment of it in the meantime.

• Options
    Originally posted by: SYRACUSIAN

Roman, what a great comparison! I now remember disagreeing already, especially with number two and number three, but this LAST one that you've submitted, IMHO exceeds them all, condition wise.I can see slight problems or slight wear here and there in practically every other example (and even then, not deserving a 55), I have no idea of its value, but frankly, I'd wait a little and yes, even though I RARELY EVER RESUBMIT, even for $$$$$-$$$$$$ coins, partly because I know their real grades inside me and partly because the undergrading is a great STOP to any thought of selling them, I'd crack it out and resubmit it. This is beyond frustrating.

Thanks for the info on the 30th Anniversary label. Now all I need to find out, is if I can rejoin PCGS at Gold level, (I happen to have 3 out of 4 of the coins needed anyway, and the 4th won't take long), and if the 4 vouchers will allow me to get a special label such as this one, or if I have to pay more, OR use a different submission form. You can always PM me too if you want. image

Dimitri, everyone can get the label - it's just an extra $7 charge. You have to specify on the submission form that you want special label #31 (or #30 if coins are not secure plus). I like your idea about not playing the regrading game as a way to prevent yourself from selling the coin image
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Roman! Shame on me for waiting so long to join. image
  • Options
    Just for fun I went through a few of my pictures tonight and found this PCGS AU58.

I wouldn't argue with you if you said that your coin is superior.

Also, what's up with the castles on the reverse of your 1794? Looks like the punch used that year had some damage.

zoom in to see what I mean.
  • Options
    Dan, i'm not surprised you noticed that image It's definitely a punch issue, since both of the castles have an identical void.

What's also interesting, i pulled up my other 1794 and noticed some weirdness in the same spot. Could be that the same, but now repaired punch was used on that die.

And the MS62 in the pop report is a different punch altogether.

Here's the side-by-side:

• Options
    hey Dan, he might be too nice to say his is superior so I will say it for him.

While your 58 is really nice - its well graded as is!

2K's example is a lock 62 in the real world and WILL grade as such "eventually". (some of you know exactly what I mean)

To go deeper into this debacle, note 2K's ear, hi cheek, hairline areas, wreath, and on reverse look at pillars and the wrapping..just for comparison ..they ALL are superior to your 58, (compare all side by side), and all exhibit 62 minimum fields. There was NO excuse to grade this piece AU55 and makes my blood boil that it did.

• Options
    Originally posted by: marcmoish

hey Dan, he might be too nice to say his is superior so I will say it for him.

While your 58 is really nice - its well graded as is!

2K's example is a lock 62 in the real world and WILL grade as such "eventually". (some of you know exactly what I mean)

To go deeper into this debacle, note 2K's ear, hi cheek, hairline areas, wreath, and on reverse look at pillars and the wrapping..just for comparison ..they ALL are superior to your 58, (compare all side by side), and all exhibit 62 minimum fields. There was NO excuse to grade this piece AU55 and makes my blood boil that it did.

Yep!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fake......lol,hope I am real wrong!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

MS 66

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

UNC Details

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

How the heck did this thread get back to life? It's from 2015 people.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen a thread with more comments than views:

39 views 86 comments

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Oh, hey - this got resurrected! Thank you for the painful memories, everyone ;)

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Paul
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

hehe Is it to late :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Oh, hey - this got resurrected! Thank you for the painful memories, everyone ;)

why? what did it grade? .)