Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Lord St. Oswald Coins - Where Are They Now?

Be sure to read my series on the Lord St. Oswald coins here.
Ron Guth
President
PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
www.CoinFacts.com

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for pointing out the articles. Enjoyable to read!
  • Options
    Thanks, BarnDog...it's been fun birddoggin' these treasures.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect there's at least one owned by members here. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been following the story. Very fun read.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, enjoyable read - thanks for the link. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    BarnDog: thanks for pointing out the articles. Enjoyable to read!

I am glad that Ron has been further researching and reporting upon the coins with the Oswald pedigree. Some of these are terrific and they are all very important in the history of coin collecting.

We should also acknowledge that fascinating article by David Tripp in the Pogue II catalogue, Stack's-Bowers, 2015, pp. 94-99. Tripp reports that William Strickland, a British "coin collector," was visiting the U.S. during 1795. Evidently, Strickland, the collector Charles Winn, and holders of "St Oswald" titles were all members of the same broad family. According to Tripp, an uncle of Strickland was also a grandfather of Charles Winn, and Winn became Strickland's son-in-law. Charles Winn was the father of the first Baron St. Oswald. Tripp may have solved the mystery and established a chain of custody from 1795 to 1964.

Recommended Reading: Tripp's Article on the Strickland-Winn-Oswald Pedigree

Mentions of the Oswald Pedigree in Some of My Articles

Admittedly, I honestly believe that Tripp's position regarding 1933 Double Eagles is potentially harmful to coin collectors. Suppose, imaginatively though plausibly, that some or all of the "Oswald" 1794 and 1795 coins left the Philadelphia Mint in 1795 or 1796, without clear surviving entries in a Cashier's Ledger. Would anyone then maintain that these were stolen and now property of the U.S. Mint as it has been said that 1933 Double Eagles were stolen mostly because there were not clear entries for 1933 Double Eagles in a Cashier's Ledger at the Philadelphia Mint? Is someone who says that 1933 Double Eagles were stolen also implicitly maintaining that Oswald coins were stolen too?

Analysis of the Verdict in the Switt-Langbord Case, with comments by QDB and David Ganz

In any event, David Tripp deserves a great deal of credit for his article about the Oswald pedigree and his theory regarding William Strickland.

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The William Strickland pedigree is fascinating. During Strickland's trip to the US, he visited with George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and others. Furthermore, William Strickland and George Washington are related so the the Lord St. Oswald coins have an interesting tie to George Washington.

Also interesting is the number of coins with whereabouts that are currently unknown.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read, Can only drool.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord St. Oswald also had a collection of British coins, which should come as no surprise. Being a Yorkshire family, the Winns also took interest in Anglo-Saxon Northumbrian coins, which is my area of interest. I only own one coin that I can conclusively say is from this collection, a styca which is from a 1981 Christie's sale. The sale was called "Property of a Nobleman." The coin is plated in a 1981 account of the sale by the contemporary authority on Northumbrian coins. It originally came from a large hoard of such coins found in 1847 at Bolton Percy, and was sold with numerous others to a Charles Winn who was a collector member of the family, and probably the fellow who owned the 1794 dollars.

Here is my "Lord St. Oswald" piece, an English Northumbrian "styca" of King Eanred.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there really any sense to debate the legality/monetization/cashier window ledgers on 1933 $20's and other significant regular issue US coinage.....when there are no records on all the fantasy coins that got out of the mint from 1793-1913 (ie 1804 dollars of all 3 types, 1913 Lib nickels, 1894-s dimes, thousands of patterns, etc.). I find it fascinating that 1913 Lib nickels, and Type 2/3 1804 dollars get no scrutiny even though we know they were made under far more questionable conditions than 1933 $20's having left their vault in the 1930's.

Assay coins like 1873-cc NA dime/quarters or 1853-0 NA halves are another such issue. The 1933 $20's got caught up in the middle of politics, world financial conditions, and the great depression (ie it made the black list). The fact that the US Treasury Secretary in 1933 owned a 1933 $20 Saint makes the debate all the more illogical. The only way to muddy it further were if FDR owned one. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the Mint acknowledge the 1913 Lib nickels as mint products?
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These articles should prove to have a wealth of info for the casual
    collector that I am. Thanks.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoyed reading your articles - thanks Ron.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting articles. Just finding a decent copy of the catalog of that sale can be difficult at times, and unusually expensive in any event.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CoinKing

Be sure to read my series on the Lord St. Oswald coins here.

This quote from Ron's blog intrigued me:

----------

The coins were not bouncing about, loose and unprotected, in a cigar box. Rather, the coins were housed in a coin cabinet constructed by Thomas Chippendale, whose name is revered among furniture collectors.

---------

Where is that coin cabinet now, I wonder?
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Where is that coin cabinet now, I wonder?

Right where the Winn Family left it -- at Nostell Priory.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I certainly have never seen a custom coin cabinet like that one!
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read...thanks for posting the link...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file