Home U.S. Coin Forum

I love me some eBay fraud

The coin: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1794-L...ent-Coin-/221953741962

Yesterday, I quickly bought and paid for this coin very soon after it had been listed. It became clear afterwards it was a fraudulent listing when the only coins the seller (who’s from Latvia) had sold were 1913 nickels. I didn't even notice beforehand that the seller was from a foreign country, and I had no reason to believe the 1794 cent was a fake. If I had taken the time to check his completed listings, and somebody else had hit buy it now before me, I would have kicked myself for years if it had in fact been a genuine listing.

Upon knowing that the guy was a con man, I *****umed he had used pictures found online of a real 1794 cent, and was purporting to be the owner of the coin. Yup, the VF-30 example in the URL below is the coin he used for the listing:

http://www.uscents.com/coppergrade/grades24.htmhttp://www.uscents.com/coppergrade/grades24.htm

http://www.uscents.com/coppergrade/s24vf30.jpghttp://www.uscents.com/coppergrade/s24vf30.jpg

I called eBay and asked them to cancel the transaction and refund me, because the guy was a fraudster. I told them the only other coins he had sold were fakes (they were 1913 nickels for crying out loud), and I gave them the website URL that had pictures of the 1794 cent in question. I thought now they would obviously understand it was a fraudulent listing, and would cancel the transaction and refund me... but this wasn't the case. The lady was under the impression that it was all just a big misunderstanding.

They told me to directly contact the seller and request they cancel the transaction, and that "usually the seller will agree to cancelling the transaction". Seriously?... Why would a reasonable person believe that a seller, who knowingly was trying to con a buyer, would agree to cancel a transaction and refund the buyer? It doesn't make any sense, and the lady was dumbfounded when I asked her "What happens if the seller refuses to cancel the transaction, and marks the item as shipped?" - Her response was "You can return the coin after you get it and they'll refund you". Laughable, considering the guy was using pictures of a coin he didn't have. She finally transferred me to another person who was slightly more helpful. He opened up a fraud case for the item, but again, he couldn't put together the pieces of the puzzle and cancel the transaction.

I got a message today from eBay that said: "We couldn't cancel your order because the seller already shipped it"... fantastic. If they had simply cancelled the transaction and refunded me (considering the information I provided to them clearly showed this guy was a con man), it would have been over and done with on my end. I imagine it will now take a while before I end up getting refunded. Ebay outsourcing their customer service department to another country makes everything excruciating to say the least.

End rant. (Edited for formatting)

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dib

The coin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1794-L...ent-Coin-/221953741962

Yesterday, I quickly bought and paid for this coin very soon after it had been listed. It became clear afterwards it was a fraudulent listing when the only coins the seller (who’s from Latvia) had sold were 1913 nickels. I didn't even notice beforehand that the seller was from a foreign country, and I had no reason to believe the 1794 cent was a fake. If I had taken the time to check his completed listings, and somebody else had hit buy it now before me, I would have kicked myself for years if it had in fact been a genuine listing.

Upon knowing that the guy was a con man, I *****umed he had used pictures found online of a real 1794 cent, and was purporting to be the owner of the coin. Yup, the VF-30 example in the URL below is the coin he used for the listing:

http://www.uscents.com/coppergrade/grades24.htm

http://www.uscents.com/coppergrade/s24vf30.jpg

I called eBay and asked them to cancel the transaction and refund me, because the guy was a fraudster. I told them the only other coins he had sold were fakes (they were 1913 nickels for crying out loud), and I gave them the website URL that had pictures of the 1794 cent in question. I thought now they would obviously understand it was a fraudulent listing, and would cancel the transaction and refund me... but this wasn't the case. The lady was under the impression that it was all just a big misunderstanding.

They told me to directly contact the seller and request they cancel the transaction, and that "usually the seller will agree to cancelling the transaction". Seriously?... Why would a reasonable person believe that a seller, who knowingly was trying to con a buyer, would agree to cancel a transaction and refund the buyer? It doesn't make any sense, and the lady was dumbfounded when I asked her "What happens if the seller refuses to cancel the transaction, and marks the item as shipped?" - Her response was "You can return the coin after you get it and they'll refund you". Laughable, considering the guy was using pictures of a coin he didn't have. She finally transferred me to another person who was slightly more helpful. He opened up a fraud case for the item, but again, he couldn't put together the pieces of the puzzle and cancel the transaction.

I got a message today from eBay that said: "We couldn't cancel your order because the seller already shipped it"... fantastic. If they had simply cancelled the transaction and refunded me (considering the information I provided to them clearly showed this guy was a con man), it would have been over and done with on my end. I imagine it will now take a while before I end up getting refunded. Ebay outsourcing their customer service department to another country makes everything excruciating to say the least.

End rant.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• dibdib Posts: 311
    LanceNewmanOCC to the rescue, that looks better now.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lance - how do u do paragraph breaks on this new version of the forum. Sorry a bit OT.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually it is just a wait game now.

When it does arrive, document your opening the pkg with photos. When you get a fake or a not the coin as described you can move forward with ebay.

If it's a counterfeit then you get to get your money back and keep the slug (it is illegal to ship counterfeit US coins through the US mails). Just work with ebay and you may be required to post pics to them.

If it is not as described you get free shipping back to seller. Just use the ebay system for printing the return postage.

It will end well for you,

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus

Lance - how do u do paragraph breaks on this new version of the forum. Sorry a bit OT.

By being one of the lucky ones. image

Actually, I'm not kidding. It seems to affect some and not others.

I had the problem for a day or two after the transition but not since. Go figure.

Those who do have the problem can supposedly use HTML breaks.

("less than" symbol, br, "greater than" symbol- no spaces in between.)

I can't even type those "greater than/less than" caret symbols at all, though, even to demonstrate. I'd get an error if I did.

Thank goodness the good old Enter key line breaks work for me now.

PS- sorry- resume original topic.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

what amazes me is that the posts being quoted MUST have the technical info, binary code, or whatever, in order to be quoted and thus be re-posted as intended simply by quoting.

so imo, the problem still either mostly or all, lays with the user.

if the post didnt post as intended, id say 100% it is a forum/software/hardware/cloud or whatever issue.

dib, will you quote the 2nd post, my quote, of the op post, just to quench my curiosity.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Originally posted by: Raufus

i simply press the enter key.

i think on day 1 of the switchover, i saw wysiwyg vs html and there was no choice. VAST and painful/fruitful experience has taught me that having "control - i use this loosely" on high average (coding - html etc), serves me and my intent (and the users/readers of what i type/post) best (with a small % left for chaos/unintended/unintentional benefit(s)).

i wonder if they gave the wysiwyg vs html option back and those that didnt select html from the start, would be able to do so and thus fixing/negating whatever the prob is? maybe something carried forward. although i HIGHLY doubt that of all the people that post breaks with no extra effort are able to simply because they selected html before the wysiwyg optiin was removed.

Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC
    The coin:

End rant.

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez. Why so quick to pull the trigger on an auction full of red flags?
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would probably have helped if you had also noticed that this fraudster only had a 25 feedback, very low by eBay standards. Hope your case ends up well but next time be quicker to do your homework than to pull the trigger. Good luck.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
    Thanks very much for the info.
    Good luck to the OP. You will get your money back.
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinnut

Geez. Why so quick to pull the trigger on an auction full of red flags?

GREED.

Can't cheat an honest man.
    When does the word, "CHEAT" substitute for the word, "FOOL" in your universe?

MANOFCOINS, please look of the definition of each and then realize YOU are the greater fool in your exchange.

ty dib

interesting that the code/structure isn't carried forward. no matter what?

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a test.
    Using the "return key."
    On a MacBook Pro keyboard.

Here is another test.
    Using pressing the function key and the return key.
    This is supposed to be the same as the enter key.
    On a MacBook Pro keyboard.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang ... I couldn't get the paragraphs to format correctly! Sorry as I don't mean to hijack the thread. Help!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    use "<
    P
    >
    " for paragraphs
    no spaces in between
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MANOFCOINS
    Originally posted by: abcde12345

GREED.

In your whole life have ever been cheated? Not once? Are you honest? Honesty is a relative term.

The last part of that seems funny coming from you, just saying.
    "Honesty is a relative term."

What an interesting statement.

MANOFCOINS, You have personally never cheated an honest man. Ok, I get it.

You are the rare exception in this coin hobby having never committed a fraud yet have yourself been victimized by thievery.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: giorgio11

It would probably have helped if you had also noticed that this fraudster only had a 25 feedback, very low by eBay standards. Hope your case ends up well but next time be quicker to do your homework than to pull the trigger. Good luck.

Best Regards,

George

Wowser. A 25% feedback would in the bottom 1/10th of 1% of all Ebay sellers....lower than whale "$H!&." Any seller with a FB rating under 99% needs to be scrutinized. At 98% or lower the red flags should be going off for those with hundreds of feedbacks.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Originally posted by: MANOFCOINS

GREED.

In your whole life have ever been cheated? Not once? Are you honest? Honesty is a relative term.

Honest people can be easy to cheat, because they are often ready to *****ume that everyone else is like them! However, in this instance, the adage that may apply is: Things that are too good to be true, aren't!

Beginning (again) in coins; 35+ yr collector/researcher/author in early American pocket watches; Civil War watch, coin and history buff; physicist by day, banjo picker and aspiring sci-fi fantasy writer by night.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    INAD, done...
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I'm going with I Need a Drink and add in amb**sador, verboten string
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who thinks you can't cheat an honest man is likely dishonest by stating such.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC

The coin:

End rant.

FIFYimage

HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: roadrunner

Originally posted by: giorgio11

Best Regards,

George

Wowser. A 25% feedback would in the bottom 1/10th of 1% of all Ebay sellers....lower than whale "$H!&." Any seller with a FB rating under 99% needs to be scrutinized. At 98% or lower the red flags should be going off for those with hundreds of feedbacks.

A total of 25 -- not 25% feedback. The seller has 100% positive feedback for 25 transactions. Still very low by eBay standards.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    "You can't cheat an honest man" is a 1939 WC Fields movie and

Fields makes the statement as a cashier in a circus he operates.

Two guys give Fields a $10 to buy a pair of tickets. Fields seems

very confused and distracted and when his attention returns to the

guys, he states "...change for a $20" "count your change before

leaving the window."

The pair scampers off, thinking they have been given too much

change.

Well, you have to see it. Check YouTube.

I had a case for $7500 on a bogus Washington (the deception) was excellent. I finally figured it out with 7 days left on my visa charge back system. PCGS and the secret service got involved.
    The coin and the plastic were fake. I did get my money back but very very lucky. Time of discovery is very important. This happened about 4 years a ago just as fakes were really becoming a problem.

It was a 32-D that was a obverse of a ms65+ 32-p with the reverse of a generic D. The coin were then sandwiched together to look like a ms65+ 32-d.

Since time is not an issue with your case it should not be a problem.

Incredible. I'm glad u got your money back. The degree to which the crooks will go amazes me. If some of these crooks put the same amount of time, ingenuity and effort into ligitamate pursuits they could likely do well w/o the threat of fines and arrest. Of course I'd guess that the Chinese fraudsters are in danger of neither.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to beat a dead horse about the premature pulling of the trigger.

I predict you'll get an Asian fake 1794 in the mail (if indeed anything was shipped).

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

GREED.

Just ignore him/her, that you can't cheat an honest man is total hogwash, though it is the name of a movie from 75 years ago.

And to the OP, I think you will prevail, it just may take some patience.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I must say "greed" was the first thing that came to my mind reading the opening post.
    Haste does indeed lead to waste.
    I wish the op well, he should recover his money but what a headache.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
    DaVideo: "Just ignore him/her, that you can't cheat an honest man is total hogwash, though it is the name of a movie from 75 years ago. And to the OP, I think you will prevail, it just may take some patience."

An honest man has the fear of God and the fear of God will protect an honest man from fraud.

D.Video, you've made it a habit as of late to troll threads with your anti behavior and I'd suggest you stop.

Delusional thinking if you actually believe that... and it's hard to argue with a delusional person, so I'll just leave that alone.

Originally posted by: jessewvu
    INAD, done...

Yup, just going to take a while. He may have some tricks up his sleeve, but we shall see.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I happen to agree that despite our hopes and aspirations (trying to score), there are many snares and traps along the path. And this story doesn't have an ending, yet. Even with that said, it's hard to blame greed when we know it's the cost of tuition that stings.
    Attempting to snag a $3K coin for $300. is delusional, borderline dishonest. No doubt about that.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe the seller sold #4 1913 V-nickels!

He owned 80% of the known population!

Great seller.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOBODY sells coins of this nature for $350.00. This should have been a GIANT red flag for you bud. But none the less just wait a while and you'll get your refund. I am VERY curious on what coin the seller sends you. Please do keep us posted.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious what ever became of this deal...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay is caveat emptor, always has been always will be.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: telephoto1
    Just curious what ever became of this deal...

And why are there no NEG feedbacks yet?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file