Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can you please show me some pictures of "Original" Bank Wrapped rolls.

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
We always see pictures of single coins, so I would love to see pictures of rolls or even older U.S. mint or Proof sets.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to help, but I never graduated to posting pictures. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 9 or so rolls of OBW early 1960 Dimes, opened 3, curiosity could no longer wait.

Some have decent end roll toning.

Hopefully I will be able to take and post pics tomorrow.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what you're looking to see exactly but I have been stashing a few away over the years.

Folks will say these have previously been opened, but not by me. I've owned this roll for over 10 years and never looked inside.

I love the look of both end coins.

• Options
    That roll of Franklin's definitely looks tampered with.... yep, I know you did not, but if I

were looking to buy, it is a roll I would likely p***** by.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    I would like to help, but I never graduated to posting pictures. image Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving this thread! image
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I have a brother roll to the Kennedy I showed, I had to look inside at least the end coin to make sure they were 1964's and to see if they were white as expected, so here is my other original FRB Kennedy roll. I bought both on the BST from a really nice collector.
    [URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo 34_zpsqco0oeh7.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland
    Loving this thread! image

I'm loving this thread also. I appreciate the photos, as I was wanting to see what actual "Original" bank wrapped rolls looked like with the different markings and the fact that so many rolls on eBay are not what they say they are.

Thank you for posting.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been searching bank rolls for more years than I can count, and have developed a keen sense of what's original and what's fake. I've been thinking about creating a tutorial thread about it, and eventually will do that. I already have an "OBW buying guide" on another forum, and another thread where I analyzed rolling machine patents posted on multiple forums. Perhaps I'll take some pics and contribute here. I can already say with some certainty that the only roll pictured in this thread so far that I'd feel comfortable calling "original" is the 1962 Frankie.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    That roll of Franklin's definitely looks tampered with.... yep, I know you did not, but if I
    were looking to buy, it is a roll I would likely p***** by.... Cheers, RickO

...I am a little suspicious of the dimes also. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I posted pics of my 1964 Kennedy rolls above. I bought 4 rolls from a BST'er last year at a fair price, sold off a couple on EBAY to keep my cost down. I kept the two pictured.

The seller said he had owned them for 50 years, got them himself direct from his bank in PA when they came out in 1964 and he was 17.

I believed him. If he's a liar, I've been told worse. Since he said he got them himself in 1964 and kept them 50 years and sold them to me, he's either a good guy or a liar.

I'll sleep fine tonight either way.

Although if someone can tell my rolls are obviously not OBW, would be nice to know so I don't pass them off as such.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some from a collection I inherited.

Had been buried underground since 1964.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: golden

Me too!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigole
    I have a brother roll to the Kennedy I showed, I had to look inside at least the end coin to make sure they were 1964's and to see if they were white as expected, so here is my other original FRB Kennedy roll. I bought both on the BST from a really nice collector.
    [URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo 34_zpsqco0oeh7.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Are You Kidding Me? Beauuutiful WoW!!!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a photo of a roll of 1864 Two Cent coins and the original (?) bank roll they were in. I can't figure out how to paste this JPEG photo into this reply. If someone can tell me how to do this I will post the photo. Thanks.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these are original -- Grandma got 'em from the bank in the early 60's.

The pennies are 1962-d and 1964-d. I opened a roll and made stocking stuffers for little kids.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Originally posted by: COCollector
    I think these are original -- Grandma got 'em from the bank in the early 60's.

The pennies are 1962-d and 1964-d. I opened a roll and made stocking stuffers for little kids.

Perhaps it was the part of the country I was raised (western Iowa), but I don't ever recall seeing rolls of any denomination with open ends. I was busy filling a cent and nickel collection and my dad would bring home rolls from his drugstore a couple of times a week. He also took me several banks, on occasion. The rolls were always put together the same way... hand-assembled paper that needed to be folded in on both ends. After filling a roll, I still remember Dad instructing me to hit both ends of it on a hard surface to ensure a hard crease so the rolls wouldn't accidentally open.

This was during the mid-1960's, probably 1963 to 1968.
    Robert
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had intended to contribute to this posting earlier than this but procrastination set in. Anyway, I do enjoy "original" bank wrapped rolls, not the ones you get on eBay where someone stuck a dime in a roll of cents and had them "bank rolled". I purchased these several years ago. 1954-S.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigole

thats pretty awesome image
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so used to seeing the fake rolls on eBay ("First Bank of Carson City", etc.) that I'm not sure I've ever seen a real one dated prior to 1970.
  • Options
    don't have pics but i've had obw $1 rolls (20 pcs.) of 54-s jeff 5c's

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

photo DSCF2350.jpg

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that roll of 2c pieces is amazing!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once had a roll of 50 Kennedy halves. Yep an original $25 roll. Did not take pics and sold off a decade or more ago. Sure was strange to see and hold. Put two end to end and add half of another....long, baby, long!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that Bank wrapping wasn't even invented until 1920 or so so anything prior to that isn't trustworthy. I'd guess there's not a roll of Mercury Dimes, Walkers or Standing Liberty Quarters that hasn't been gone through by someone. If I'm wrong I'd love to see.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I was very fortunate to pick up an original roll with some beautiful rainbow toning on the reverse of an 1964 Kennedy Half. The other side had some nice toning on the obverse of the Kennedy.

I DID open the roll because I am considering having them graded. The other coins were not remarkable and I've sold them.

I would search for toned original rolls much more than I do were I not already involved in a collection that is taking all my time and funds already. But ... goals ... right?! :-)

1.jpg 535.3K
    2.jpg 573.5K
    3.jpg 519.9K
    4.jpg 385K

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hand wrapped rolls could have existed back before 1900. Machine wrapping began with a patent that was issued in the mid 1930's.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@WDP...That is an amazing roll of Two Cent coins... they look remarkable. What a great find.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Now that's what a half dollar reverse is supposed to look like!

@bigole said:
    [URL=http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/rallison7/media/photo 34_zpsqco0oeh7.jpg.html][/URL]

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Wowwww. That is classic and pristine. Whatever that paper roll is, it's way alright. What a gorgeous roll of two cent pieces. Wow.

@WDP said:
    I have a photo of a roll of 1864 Two Cent coins and the original (?) bank roll they were in. I can't figure out how to paste this JPEG photo into this reply. If someone can tell me how to do this I will post the photo. Thanks.

**PCGS has now made it easy to post photos. Here are the photos of the 1864 Two Cent coin rolls. I have one 1864 Cent from this roll. It grades PCGS MS64. **

W. David Perkins
    http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Original wrapping or not, I don't care, that group of two cent pieces is amazing.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WDP said:

**PCGS has now made it easy to post photos. Here are the photos of the 1864 Two Cent coin rolls. I have one 1864 Cent from this roll. It grades PCGS MS64. **

W. David Perkins
    http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/

Holly crap!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file