Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1915 buffalo nickel newp

Just received this one in the mail. Currently PCGS MS65, but I'm shooting for something different here. Looks like a proof to me image

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good grief, that's a beauty. looks like it was hammered when they struck it.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a pleasant, well struck and original example.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the strike sure is there but the rims don't look right to be a proof. Examine the edge-any beveling or is it of uniform thickness all the way around?
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Buff.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All there!! Super coin!!

Great strike, luster and surfaces!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    super strike.

but the rims...
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about the PR, but it's a beauty.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Buff....I do not think it is a proof... but in hand evaluation should tell... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super nice well struck Buff for sure. Does the outside of the rim look extremely lustrous? In hand inspection should tell the story. Looks promising, except for the inside of the rims don't look very sharp from the images. Good luck with that!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Looks like he has a apple under him.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanLord
    Good grief, that's a beauty. looks like it was hammered when they struck it.

Couldn't agree more. Incredible strike.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice strike. I like the little bit of color.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof or not it is an excellent example of that date!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a proof.

Great looking coin though.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Super stamped example. Great coin.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    way cool, i like.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To amend my earlier statement about the rims-Is the PCGS gasket obscuring parts of the rim? If so, I'd say it's a proof.
  • Options
    It is- and also I may have unintentionally cropped off some of the rim (especially on the upper-right obverse) with my hack and slash photoshopping skills image

It may be a while before I send this one in for proof consideration, as I need to renew my subscription, but I certainly will give it a shot and post the results here when they are available.

Cheers!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i see enough differences to call yours a moose MS but not proof

they do make mistakes and yours could....land in a proof holder

i put your buff over my 1915 certified proof i just bought for comparison

the space between liberty and rim there should stand out as mine has less space because my rim is so flat and wide there

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    some close-up work on my ms64 & pr66

mind you these are tough to separate at best as not much really stands out

1st...the detail of the hair coming off of his cheek going all the way into his hair-tie....there's definite definition in that hair or lines that aren't on my ms

2nd...the space between the "s" of pluribus to the last leg of the "r" in america....on my proof it almost touches whereas on the ms there appears to be more space

3rd...the top of the "f" is flat topped on my proof but the ms displays a slight arc

4th...where his shoulder and cape meet....that part of his cape is different somehow in appearence

yours as stated...i could see it making it in a proof holder as in hand it's so darn tough to tell a proof from a moose struck ms

but the space between liberty and the flat inside rim is due to rim thickness there and is on my ms too but the proof shows the rim being closer to liberty

i'd love to see in depth comparison as to help any others with cherry picking so i did my best

best of luck as always and i hope it is a proof that you got at a rip of a ms price and i can give ya...yet another you suck

the actual body of the bison on yours is every bit of proof details...from his shoulder to his rump can really separate these as there's alot of definition there as with my proof too

please update when you send this in
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file