Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I am now 39 years old!

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thanksgiving marks my 39th "birthday" as a coin collector. (The big half-century for my actual physical birthday will happen at the end of December, so you can get the black balloons ready.)

I've related the story before, but it basically goes like this: on Thanksgiving Day of 1976, when I was not quite 11 years old, we were at my grandmother's house and I was asked to set the table for the upcoming feast.

Grandmomma pointed out where the silverware drawer was in a huge old credenza in the dining room of her grand old Atlanta house. In that drawer, I found a 1936 Mercury dime! It seemed incredibly ancient to me at the time... forty years old. Now nearly forty years have elapsed since I found it! (I also found a 1948 Franklin half that had been shot with a bullet, and a 1943 steel cent. Grandmomma let me keep the steelie but not the Frankie- that was a souvenir of some uncle's marksmanship and had apparently been shot in the air, Annie Oakley style.)

The 1936 Merc dime won't win any "best coin" competitions, but being the sentimental creature that I am, I kept the coin, and it survived the vicissitudes of the building, destruction, and rebuilding of so many of my collections over the years.

This is the coin that launched my numismatic adventure.

It is one of only two pieces which remain from my original childhood collection.

I received this 1827 Bust half for my 11th birthday on December 28, 1976.

Do you still have any of your "original" collection? Post the "seed" coin that planted your interest in the hobby, if you had one, and still have it!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy "birthday".
    What a neat story!
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    great story hope you get 39 more.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1854 Large Cent that my mother and I found cleaning out an old dresser. I would have been around 14 or 15 at the time. After finding the coin and me having interest, my parents bought me a Red Book. From there is where it all took off.

I still have the Cent in my sentimental coin collection. I have a small collection of things was given, found, or have some value other than the numis.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story! Glad you kept the coin!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool to still have coins from that time of your life. I have a few of the coins my Dad

had...which sparked my interest... and a couple of coins that did not get 'cleaned out'

when I joined the Navy..... Those are special..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I have a 1914D PCGS XF40 that I found in 1968 in pocket change and it is beautiful brown. It must be a keeper.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an 1882 CC GSA Morgan that my dad gave me at that age. I will never sell it.

He also bought me a nice 1942-S raw AU Walker. VERY sentimental to me.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat story, Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice story
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread Rob! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only just now dawned on me that my 1936 Merc "Genesis Coin" is a CircCam! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file