Home U.S. Coin Forum

1904 2.5$ GTG (GRADE POSTED)

Here is one I just received any opinions would be welcomes as I don't know much about these at all.

chris

imageimage

Comments

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AnkurJ

The hair isn't very well struck on the OP's coin, on the obverse, which could be a weak strike.

Here are two submitted to PCGS a couple years ago (no intended spam )

PCGS graded MS 64

For the sole purpose of comparison

PCGS graded MS 66
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    TwoSides2aCoin thanks for sharing. I don't know anything about USA gold but I want to get one sample of each for the kids. for 322$ it was worth the guess.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo coffeyce- mate ™ ( like a trade mark )

…. You got a nice coin there, for the money. I like our gold. It's an American thang.

It appears authentic, as luster and strike would have it.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks really nice.

I was going to say 63. I had a similar piece in a PCGS MS62 holder once, though. They seem to be stricter about contact marks on the smaller gold coins, or were at one time?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the hair above the forward is cropped quite short. Other than that it does look like a nice lusterous 64.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice clean 64
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't have a GTG on a raw coin
    Frank

BHNC #203

well I am sending to to be slabbed. PCGS will be done by 18 Dec. Wasn't aware the prerequisite of having to be slabbed before guessing. thanks.....
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess 63 to 64..... in hand, it may be better. Cheers, RickO
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Treashunt
    You can't have a GTG on a raw coin

Are you kidding me? This way everyone wins. Just keep it raw!
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coffeyce

well I am sending to to be slabbed. PCGS will be done by 18 Dec. Wasn't aware the prerequisite of having to be slabbed before guessing. thanks.....

It's not. Let us know what it grades!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too hard to tell from the picture, it could grade MS63 or be bb'd for cleaning. the light reflects off the hair under "Liberty" but then there are hot-spots and no visible luster leaving the coin looking artificially smooth to my eyes.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    too hard to tell from the picture, it could grade MS63 or be bb'd for cleaning. the light reflects off the hair under "Liberty" but then there are hot-spots and no visible luster leaving the coin looking artificially smooth to my eyes.

• Interesting. I would have p*****ed on this one based on the line inside the dentils on the obverse, 6:00 to 10:00 (and replicated a bit on the reverse, at the same area.) Looks like a scribe line. Is the coin genuine, and is that a common characteristic of quarter eagles of this period?

I'm also bothered by the poor definition of the lines in the stars, and the size of the fourth 3:00-pointing hair bead (seems a bit big in this photo.) Both could be the results of a soft strike?

I would have absolutely have guessed counterfeit--shows it's not my series I guess! I hope it gets a good grade for the OP.

Thanks for any info.
  • Originally posted by: Kaline6
    Interesting. I would have p*****ed on this one based on the line inside the dentils on the obverse, 6:00 to 10:00 (and replicated a bit on the reverse, at the same area.) Looks like a scribe line. Is the coin genuine, and is that a common characteristic of quarter eagles of this period?

I'm also bothered by the poor definition of the lines in the stars, and the size of the fourth 3:00-pointing hair bead (seems a bit big in this photo.) Both could be the results of a soft strike?

I would have absolutely have guessed counterfeit--shows it's not my series I guess! I hope it gets a good grade for the OP.

Thanks for any info.

Seriously? They censor "p-a-s-s-e-d"?

I took some photos under light.

imageimage
  • Wow, fascinating, thanks for the updated photos--all three issues I had have gone away under this lighting. That's a lesson in itself!

Surfaces look much more natural as well. Good luck with the grade!
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    may the fonz be with you...always...
    Kaline6,

thanks for the insight. I'll try and remember to add photos with and without light next time. still learning this photography game photos were my least fav thing. But hope this helps with the keets and golden. Because I always have problems with silver and gold spotting the toning (light cleaning)

thanks again guys

chris

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Au58 would be tops but I am guessing genuine cleaned.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: darktone
    Au58 would be tops but I am guessing genuine cleaned.

My thoughts also.

Well the grade just popped PCGS MS62

Looks like joebb21 was spot on.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice look for an MS62 coin. Luster is hard to figure out from photos. I'm guessing that kept it from grading higher.

From your photos I would have guessed 64.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Congrats.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file