Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can anyone explain this bidding activity?

1992 Front Row Jeter

This was actually my consignment.. I expected it to go for $30 max, but am befuddled to see how high it has been bid up, especially for a PSA 9, and a non-gold/silver/promo version at that.

More puzzling, a nearly identical version sold on 11/15 for $20.50 in the same auction (also my consignment).

1992 Front Row Jeter SOLD 11/15

Any thoughts on what is going on here?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, but the underbidder with the 5 feedback rating sure likes this card, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Neither of your top two bidders bid on this same card last week. I would throw the penalty flag on that, unless your 9 is so awesome that it resembles a 10.

Someone driving up the price to sell their stash?
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    So strange... Sdub, you hit on the only thing I could come up with -- however with as many sales in the recent past as there has been, I can't imagine one listing could possibly move the market, especially when a PSA 10 has consistently sold for about $80!

This brings me to another question actually -- is anyone familiar enough with PWCC to know what would happen if the high bidder failed to pay up? Would Brent deduct this amount from my total and send the card back/re-list on the same terms or would he pay me in full and sell the card as his own?
  • Options
    Looks like someone may have 2 or 3 accounts and messing with you. Weird that they picked you at random to drive the amount to that level. You are correct that it is very strange. I agree with Sdub that someone is driving up their price. And getting more eyes. Congrats if the price goes thru.

Regarding your payment question.Why don't you ask Brent? Him or Carl(?) are super quick. Versus waiting here for a possibly incorrect answer.
  • Options
    You won't be getting paid on this one.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I would contact Brent asap and explain this to him so he can take a better look at the bidder(s). Hey, it'd be sweet, though, if this goes through image
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dragnet

This brings me to another question actually -- is anyone familiar enough with PWCC to know what would happen if the high bidder failed to pay up? Would Brent deduct this amount from my total and send the card back/re-list on the same terms or would he pay me in full and sell the card as his own?

Dragnet, To answer your question, he would not pay you if he doesn't get paid. You could either take the card back or roll the bones and see what you get if you try to resell in the next auction
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Someone with something to gain has bid that card up. Not good. The 'random guy playing with you' is the old 'USPS lost it' line...

I consign to PWCC. Overall, they do a good job. The one issue is keeping consignors away from bidding on their own stuff. There are no controls in this area. My concern with bidding on their stuff is that consignors may bid against you. They seem to get good prices, particularly with single cards. I get concerned and this auction in question is a good example.
  • Options
    Here's one of my auctions through PWCC. No shills that I can see and a pretty average price at just over $2 per graded card for 1977 Topps Football.

PWCC Auction
  • Options
    I would add that the 'someone with something to gain' could always be a competing auction house. Don't *****ume PWCC to blame here. This does point out the hazards of eBay...
  • Options
    Have no idea what the stars are in the prior post.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy with 60 feedback could easily be a real buyer.

Not everyone knows what the "value" of a card is.

The very small increases can occur from someone who is bidding on their phone. I ran a card up the other day that is three times higher then where my bids were and it was just me hitting the next bid on my phone. Obviously the feedback profile with only 5 is potentially an issue but it doesn't mean all parties are in on some conspiracy here.

Good luck with the sale.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cards651
    Have no idea what the stars are in the prior post.

Your word contained a 'naughty' word, so the filters blocked it. If you replace it with 'presume' it should post fine. I've run into it in the past when posting a card featuring 'roosterfighting', though the old forum software required you to edit your post to remove the 'offensive' word rather than just replacing it with stars. Might be worth letting the Mod know, since there's no reason the word you used should be excluded, but it's a minor annoyance compared to other forum issues at this point.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight guys -- I've emailed Brent to let him know about this and also to ask what would occur in a case where the buyer fails to pay.
  • Options
    I see two things have happened. The bidder with 60 went to 61 so someone left them positive feedback and the bids from the bidder with a feedback score of 5 were canceled.

Hopefully they were indeed a bad bidder.

• Options
    I hear that a lot. The only problem with the argument is that you need two people that do not know what they're doing. If someone bids $400 on a $30 card, he always needs another naive bidder to get him well past $30. Or he needs a second person with a cell phone to do what you did. The odds of two naive folks finding the same auction are always pretty small.
  • Options
    I found over the years sometimes the unexplainable happens on EBAY. There are a lot of new buyers that have come into the market the past few years and in some cases just really get caught up in winning a card.

This card recently sold in a PWCC auction and the winner claimed it and shortly there after was giving economics lessons. The last recorded sale was like $900.

T206 Baker

For all I know all three that bid $100 or more are up to no good but if I had to bet that isn't the case. Hopefully for the OP the person who bid $100 leaves it in there and he realizes an above average sale. There are plenty of examples of people bidding cards way past what seems like fair value even with BIN's that are listed much lower and this is one of the benefits of auctions as emotions can outstrip logic.

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I would not have started this thread until you got paid...

Nevertheless, some people have no idea what they are bidding on...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I would debate the point that one sale cant change the market. I have seen it on a lot of tough 90's insert issues lately where sales have been in the $40 range for a particular card and one sale of over $100 now gets the card up to minimum $100 asking price and an $60-$80 auction price. Probably only happens on the harder to get stuff, but it does happen
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY