Silver Hits 6 Year Low

Options
VanHalen
VanHalen Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
it was under $14 this morning at $13.9x. Melt on U.S. S$1 at $10.8x.



Kitco Article



image

Comments

  • DennisH
    DennisH Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone know where I can buy circ. Morgans even remotely close to melt?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • VanHalen
    VanHalen Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: DennisH

    Anyone know where I can buy circ. Morgans even remotely close to melt?




    It wasn't that long ago, ~2007, that circ. Morgans were available for $15 when silver was ~$12.



  • guitarwes
    guitarwes Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The premiums for 90% is still in the mid-13X multiple. People want it. Pre-21 Morgans are in the low/mid-$20's.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • bronco2078
    bronco2078 Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: guitarwes
    The premiums for 90% is still in the mid-13X multiple. People want it. Pre-21 Morgans are in the low/mid-$20's.



    It might be a good time to sell morgans image
  • derryb
    derryb Posts: 38,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    might be a good time to question the pricing mechanism. image

    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat

  • biosolar
    Options
    I have a standing offer of 1 ounce round trade for a nice (VF) pre 21 Morgan.



    Nick
  • Overdate
    Overdate Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even war nickels appear to be selling above melt.

  • Baley
    Baley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: derryb

    might be a good time to question the pricing mechanism. image




    The pricing of numismatic items with collector value, that are made of precious metals?



    or of plain old industrial precious metals and paper contracts for same?



    though related, there are many differences between them. Many people find this confusing image



    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • hchcoin
    hchcoin Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prices move quickly on the way up. Prices are very sticky on the way down.
  • TwoSides2aCoin
    TwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: DennisH
    Anyone know where I can buy circ. Morgans even remotely close to melt?



    Just got a call for 500+ Will pay more. They're backing up the trucks, boss.
  • derryb
    derryb Posts: 38,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: Baley
    Originally posted by: derryb
    might be a good time to question the pricing mechanism. image


    The pricing of numismatic items with collector value, that are made of precious metals?

    or of plain old industrial precious metals and paper contracts for same?

    though related, there are many differences between them. Many people find this confusing image



    Paper price sets the floor on even numismatic items. With rare exception all gold coin prices rise and fall with paper price movement. Buyers of these items generally consider spot prices and the direction of movement of spot prices. Spot price is one of the factors affecting demand of these items. Demand influences price.

    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat

  • johnny9434
    johnny9434 Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    time to look around for more silver. just saying
  • derryb
    derryb Posts: 38,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the near term, metals will continue to be at the mercy of a strong dollar and weak oil. The million ounce question is "how long before this changes?"




    Will the FED attack the dollar or manipulate stronger oil prices to reach its 2% inflation goal? I think so.

    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat

  • bidask
    bidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are all getting killed in the metal markets.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • derryb
    derryb Posts: 38,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: bidask
    We are all getting killed in the metal markets.

    Only the sellers.

    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat

  • Baley
    Baley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seen copper and nickel prices lately?

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • OPA
    OPA Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Originally posted by: bidask
    We are all getting killed in the metal markets.

    Only the sellers.



    Some might be buried with our PM's waiting for the price to reboundimage

    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • RedneckHB
    RedneckHB Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Demand influences price.


    So what you are saying is price is down because demand is down. image

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • RedneckHB
    RedneckHB Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: derryb
    In the near term, metals will continue to be at the mercy of a strong dollar and weak oil. The million ounce question is "how long before this changes?"




    Will the FED attack the dollar or manipulate stronger oil prices to reach its 2% inflation goal? I think so.



    Mercy.....attack......manipulate.

    I love this place. Lol
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • TwoSides2aCoin
    TwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Demand influences price.


    So what you are saying is price is down because demand is down. image


    Ask any man who's into metal porn .

    Spooning leads to forking

    image
  • derryb
    derryb Posts: 38,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Demand influences price.


    So what you are saying is price is down because demand is down. image


    Of course demand influences price. Thus the term "buyer's (or seller's) market."








    I'm saying, for PM numismatic items, falling metal prices reduces demand for those numismatic items. One factor in demand for these coins is that they also have PM value. When that "added" value is threatened by falling PM prices, buyers are less willing to buy when considering the "investment" value. Again, rare PM coins are the exception as demand for them should increase when PM prices are reduced.

    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat

  • derryb
    derryb Posts: 38,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Originally posted by: derryb
    In the near term, metals will continue to be at the mercy of a strong dollar and weak oil. The million ounce question is "how long before this changes?"




    Will the FED attack the dollar or manipulate stronger oil prices to reach its 2% inflation goal? I think so.



    Mercy.....attack......manipulate.

    I love this place. Lol

    Expected from someone who refuses to accept the fact that markets are manipulated. Why to you think there is a such thing as an FOMC. Read the financial news - markets are manipulated.








    Precious metal are the exception. image

    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat

  • RedneckHB
    RedneckHB Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Originally posted by: derryb
    In the near term, metals will continue to be at the mercy of a strong dollar and weak oil. The million ounce question is "how long before this changes?"




    Will the FED attack the dollar or manipulate stronger oil prices to reach its 2% inflation goal? I think so.



    Mercy.....attack......manipulate.

    I love this place. Lol

    Expected from someone who refuses to accept the fact that markets are manipulated. Why to you think there is a such thing as an FOMC. Read the financial news - markets are manipulated.








    Precious metal are the exception. image




    My contention is, has, and always will be, the extent and magnitude in which this takes place. We are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

    The attack on manipulation theory will be merciless. image

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • RedneckHB
    RedneckHB Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Demand influences price.


    So what you are saying is price is down because demand is down. image


    Of course demand influences price. Thus the term "buyer's (or seller's) market."








    I'm saying, for PM numismatic items, falling metal prices reduces demand for those numismatic items. One factor in demand for these coins is that they also have PM value. When that "added" value is threatened by falling PM prices, buyers are less willing to buy when considering the "investment" value. Again, rare PM coins are the exception as demand for them should increase when PM prices are reduced.




    Yet when I said demand was not increasing your fervently disagreed. Lol. I really love this place.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • fc
    fc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just give it a bit more time. Silver will be under 10 dollars an ounce. That is the spot price where even paying a small premium seems bearable. I am a buyer at that price. Good value.
  • derryb
    derryb Posts: 38,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Demand influences price.


    So what you are saying is price is down because demand is down. image


    Of course demand influences price. Thus the term "buyer's (or seller's) market."








    I'm saying, for PM numismatic items, falling metal prices reduces demand for those numismatic items. One factor in demand for these coins is that they also have PM value. When that "added" value is threatened by falling PM prices, buyers are less willing to buy when considering the "investment" value. Again, rare PM coins are the exception as demand for them should increase when PM prices are reduced.




    Yet when I said demand was not increasing your fervently disagreed. Lol. I really love this place.






    You are referring to when I said demand for gold/silver bullion has increased as prices have dropped. Reported sales confirm this. Bullion and gold/silver numismatics are two different animals. I do not put generic bullion coins in the same league as precious metal numismatics. Two different types of buyers who are buying for two different reasons. Allow your narrow mind to expand on occasion.

    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat

  • This content has been removed.
  • This content has been removed.
  • rawteam1
    rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Demand influences price.


    So what you are saying is price is down because demand is down. image


    Of course demand influences price. Thus the term "buyer's (or seller's) market."








    I'm saying, for PM numismatic items, falling metal prices reduces demand for those numismatic items. One factor in demand for these coins is that they also have PM value. When that "added" value is threatened by falling PM prices, buyers are less willing to buy when considering the "investment" value. Again, rare PM coins are the exception as demand for them should increase when PM prices are reduced.


    I say you are wrong again... Numi items such as graded Morgans & saints were way higher when pm spot was significantly lower for years, so if anything rising prices reduced nominal or avg numi demand.. And I seriously doubt real numi items, say 4 instance a Stella or a Flowing Hair dollar ever recognize a spot price for input for value...

    As usual your generalities, are feeble attempts to explain, heck whatever you are trying to explain, maybe your book ...

    I say you are buried in your modern numi gold bullion...

    keceph `anah
  • derryb
    derryb Posts: 38,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: rawteam1
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Demand influences price.


    So what you are saying is price is down because demand is down. image


    Of course demand influences price. Thus the term "buyer's (or seller's) market."








    I'm saying, for PM numismatic items, falling metal prices reduces demand for those numismatic items. One factor in demand for these coins is that they also have PM value. When that "added" value is threatened by falling PM prices, buyers are less willing to buy when considering the "investment" value. Again, rare PM coins are the exception as demand for them should increase when PM prices are reduced.


    I say you are wrong again... Numi items such as graded Morgans & saints were way higher when pm spot was significantly lower for years, so if anything rising prices reduced nominal or avg numi demand.. And I seriously doubt real numi items, say 4 instance a Stella or a Flowing Hair dollar ever recognize a spot price for input for value...

    As usual your generalities, are feeble attempts to explain, heck whatever you are trying to explain, maybe your book ...

    I say you are buried in your modern numi gold bullion...


    and I say you should read with corrective lenses on before commenting on what has been posted, i.e. bullion vs. rarity.

    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. - Bastiat

  • Bochiman
    Bochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally posted by: ProfHaroldHill

    Was in one of my favorite shops recently, and they offered me all the flatware I wanted at melt. Was that a good price?









    I'm sure it was.......for them!

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • jmski52
    jmski52 Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still trying to wrap my head around how the Fed can create $4.5 trillion in new $$$$ and still have "too low" a rate of inflation. Aside from the usual jiggering of the numbers, that $4.5 trillion had to go somewhere.





    I'm still firmly convinced that a chunk of it went to repair balance sheets from banking's gambling losses in an over-extended real estate market, and that most of those guilty execs should be prosecuted instead of being rewarded.





    So, where did the money go? How did the banks get so far into the hole in the first place? We've not been clear about who the winning side was in the financial derivative game that the banks lost their shirts playing. Who was on the winning side (besides the ones who got free bailout money?)





    Who's been buying private islands lately? It just sucks that nobody's ever been held accountable for these taxpayer bailouts. We know who gave the banks the money, so I *****ume that guys like Hank Paulson were also on the receiving end, via Goldman Sachs via AIG.





    So, if you want a reason for holding, buying, selling, or trading precious metals - look no further than getting away from these types. They may or may not be manipulating the PM markets, but you can insulate your *****ets from these parasites by keeping your *****ets away from all of the fees, penalties, interest charges, vulnerability towards identity theft, counterparty risks, illicit tracking, corruption, and meddling that emanates from the political/banking/crony complex.





    Yeah, the paper pricing data fluctuates - sometimes widely - but you can still manage your cost structure by averaging in, averaging out, and by planning ahead just a little bit. The physical market is always there.





    Did I mention - that this new website is really screwed up, especially if you want to make a readable post with more than one paragraph? No wonder participation is dropping like a rock.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • jmski52
    jmski52 Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL, and if you want to change one punctuation mark, this gem of a system erases all of the paragraph breaks that you just had to insert manually after the fact, so you get to do it all over again!



    What's the point? It really is a disincentive to post anything.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • RedneckHB
    RedneckHB Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    by keeping your *****ets away from all of the fees, penalties, interest charges, vulnerability towards identity theft, counterparty risks, illicit tracking




    You also keep yourself away from one of the most powerful forces in the universe----compound interest.




    Btw--how do you make paragraphs?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • TwoSides2aCoin
    TwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Diving like a submarine
  • Hydrant
    Hydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Buy at under $9.