Home Precious Metals

Anyone have Kim Thanh asian gold?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've always been fascinated with these--the fact that they were brought by people fleeing southeast Asia in the 1960s and 1970s.

Just a really potent example of how gold really does work like...gold. Even just a few decades ago, people from half the world away who don't speak the language and had nothing but the clothes on their backs and a few of these squirreled away in their shoes or hat brims could carry universal wealth with them and provide for themselves and their families.

Kim Thanh bars on USA Gold . com

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had not heard of them before you presented them here. Thanks for sharing its interesting.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay does.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was working for DEC in Phoenix, there were many Asian people employed there.

Periodically, a couple of them would bring in those gold pieces and sell them. I never purchased

any then, wish I had, dirt cheap compared to now... (late 70's, early '80's). Cheers, RickO
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    very cool. cool enough i went on ebay to see what was available. but then reality sunk in and simply added a watch me for a proper search. i try to temper my impulses now days! hehehe
  • Hi there, I got 2 of this . Kim Thành gold bar . Let me know if anyone interested

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of counterfeits of these bars floating around.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread...but back in the day (see my post above), the one's I saw were authentic.... now, I would be very cautious...Cheers, RickO

• NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Very popular brand in Southeast Asia countries. I remember my mom had a stack of these bars during Vietnam war and lost most of it once the communist took control of the country