Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Ever Wonder Where the Edges of Your 16th Century English Are?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story, I love the pictures! Gross name though, hehe.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating. This is the first time I have ever seen an article or picture about the practice.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: worldcoinguy
    Fascinating. This is the first time I have ever seen an article or picture about the practice.

Same here. Interesting.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting.
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Wow! I always assumed clippings were promptly melted down. Very interesting to find these intact.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is so cool.

Clippings as treasure. I'm amazed.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's very cool. While I knew hammered silver coins were extensively clipped and have had several that showed traces of the practice, that's the first time I've heard of the actual clippings surviving. The person who did those was pretty aggressive and unsubtle about it. Normally I'd have expected to see much thinner shavings!

Maybe that's the reason they were never recovered and melted down. The clipper got caught, and received his or her nasty comeuppance from the law?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. Interesting find.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Dude. That guy has already unearthed a hoard. Not fair he gets to find TWO in one lifetime. Spread the love! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing.... interesting name for the hoard, but understandable. Great for that guy to

find TWO troves... what a thrill... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    indeed that was amazing