Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GTG: Mexico 8 Reales NEWP

Mexico 8R 1897 Mo-AM - I like the eye appeal of this one a lot.

It is not a rare date but just not found with such details and strike, and really nice equally toned ..that struck me, no pun intended.

GTG and explain what you like or dislike please.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific coin with an above average strike and color. I am having a hard time looking at the fields. I would like to rotate the coin in hand before offering my thoughts as to the grade. Throwing caution to the wind, I see 65 minimum.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess 65 too !

??
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet that is a beauty in hand with the patina and toning. I don't know the series, so grading is more of a WAG - I would guess 64.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    66+ so nice!
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it, attractive toning and I'll throw out a conservative guess at MS64.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the series much from a technical grading standpoint but LOVE the eye appeal here. Are the cracks on obverse top stress marks? Lovely coin.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to guess the grade without seeing the image with lighting that shows surfaces better (as oppose the color). I'd take a WAG at 65. And probably NGC if it's slabbed. It's a gorgeous coin, no matter what the numeric grade is.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice strike, nice coin...MS65.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes, not being technically familiar with the series, I would say 64-65. Great color and overall the details look pretty well punched up. It could go higher, but I am curious about a little bit of a flat strike on the bottoms of the letters of REPUBLICA.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS MS63

NGC MS64

In my opinion, it's not a 65.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-something, and I'm out of my depth in trying to guess.

I am, however, fully qualified to say that I totally love the toning and eye appeal on that piece. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63

Like it a lot! Very original! image
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinkat, in hand when turned however you have totally equal fully original lustrous surfaces. You can't see that in the photo but the fields are really great.Terrific coin with an above average strike and color.

-totally agreed, and yes looks lock 65 in hand!

ditto for bidask image

WCG,I bet that is a beauty in hand with the patina and toning.

-oh man it so is!! Your WAG is just as fine anytime.

Tooky I luv ya!image

O'Dan - image

Z - Are the cracks on obverse top stress marks? Lovely coin.

-finally found a keeper here I can share with your sharp eyes sheees - the cracks is really in the strike, its light die crack from 10 to 2 oclock. Unsure if that's called stress mks...the two smudges on 1 and 2 look way worse in pic - looks like a darker tone spot or something unsure myself.

TwoK - Hard to guess the grade without seeing the image with lighting that shows surfaces better (as oppose the color). I'd take a WAG at 65. And probably NGC if it's slabbed. It's a gorgeous coin, no matter what the numeric grade is. as I stated above re the image etc..want to add from the image itself I would have guessed 65 on any day too and agree.

MercDG - yup and yup - image

Nich219..- Yes, not being technically familiar with the series, I would say 64-65. Great color and overall the details look pretty well punched up. It could go higher, but I am curious about a little bit of a flat strike on the bottoms of the letters of REPUBLICA.

- took a good look I see what you point out and state it is obviously a weak streak of the lower letters of that word. A there is nothing else that make sense re that..

Pruebas..PCGS MS63

NGC MS64

In my opinion, it's not a 65.
    That takes courage lol - but seriously you might be right let me explain - there are some chatter or shall I say bag marks or something so insignificant right above the date - its is NOT in the die - I suppose THAT in itself kept the grade down and if so...can someone take a better look and comment on that?

Lord - I am, however, fully qualified to say that I totally love the toning and eye appeal on that piece. You are more than qualified!!

For the record I addressed each as best as I can simply b/c it's nice when one takes a minute to comment, and add his 2 cents - I didn't want to do a general reply...wanted it to feel more personal...this was cool indeed.

In reality; drum roll - it is an NGC MS63 in an older fatty holder. This one is definitely a grade or two short - in hand this one looks and feels 65 on any day. I am thinking if to crack it or what...

hope I didn't bore anyone - I almost never do thisimage

....edited to fix paragraphs & running sentences yikes
  • Options
    oh my ash - what a coincidental guess - darn you lol but cool guess sirimage
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That seems to be conservatively graded from the feedback from experts here. Eye appeal rocks!
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice piece of history
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: marcmoish
    oh my ash - what a coincidental guess - darn you lol but cool guess sirimage

• Options
    That seems to be conservatively graded from the feedback from experts here. Eye appeal rocks!

truly does in hand too.

Wanted to add this series generally has weakly struck areas abundantly so...I've seen many examples that pale in comparison ..and those are graded 63-64 .....but this one has just fantastic everything's image....be it the wings, talons, ray lines, inner twig lines.. heck even the stone mound lines are wholly struck and perfect.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice I'll go with MS64 but hope you get a MS66 good luck to you. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't crack it from its current holder unless there is something wrong (cracked plastic or badly scratched). Wait until you are ready to sell. But I actually think it will sell better in a slightly undergraded holder.

That said, NGC might give it a 64 now, but NGC has been very loose of late. Of course, always buy the coin not the holder, but I always scrutinize recent NGC-graded coins (prong gasket types) with extra care.

• Options
    ...but I always scrutinize recent NGC-graded coins (prong gasket types) with extra care.

Ditto.

• Options
    Personally, I would send it to PCGS for the cross-over and specify my minimum grade.
  • Options
    I wouldn't crack it from its current holder unless there is something wrong (cracked plastic or badly scratched). Wait until you are ready to sell. But I actually think it will sell better in a slightly undergraded holder.

-

totally agree - but the holder is older and while not HORRIBLY scratched it is def marked up and has seen better days image

Twok..Personally, I would send it to PCGS for the cross-over and specify my minimum grade.

-yes sending to our hosts is typically my first choice on any day too - might just do exacty that at some point.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it in the old fatty. The cool factor for the old holder likely outweigh any gains from 63 to 64 or even 65 which may be less than a lock. Remember, ownership adds a grade. Keep it as is.
  • Options
    It is undergraded...

• Options
    While this is a common date, I suspect the number of 8Rs in the old fatty are quite tough to find

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    moved question regarding 1869 8R to it's own thread...
  • Options
    boosibri..Keep it in the old fatty. The cool factor for the old holder likely outweigh any gains from 63 to 64 or even 65 which may be less than a lock. Remember, ownership adds a grade. Keep it as is.

ye agreed but like I mentioned the older NGC holder is just a sore to my eyes as is the marks on the holder...so typically I would do leave it alone as I'm a big advocate of leaving under-graded gems left alone however...but I will do it slowly image

coinkat - totally true - I almost never see them old fatties around.

Mercdg..its OK but you could/should generate more comments with your own thread - that one should IMHO elicit various different opinions..don't be wary of owning your thread image
  • Options
    I am partial to the old fatty holders, too. image
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking 64, based on the chatter above the date. It is a great looking coin with nice toning and sharp details. Nice example. I would not get too wrapped up in the grade until it is time to move it.