Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Wiffle Ball discs

2»

Comments

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@ArmourPhil said:
    hundreds (literally) of the 1978s (inserted discs) were labeled 1976 originally and never corrected. You see them on EBAY all the time. Very few of the 1979s (dotted lines around them) were ever graded, since they have to be cut out around the dotted lines. These are the rare ones. But, sadly, we will never know what the true populations are.

so basically those that need to be cut are hand cut

• Options

Now that we have the 1978 and 1979 wiffle ball sets documented and clarified, another issue has come up with colors.

As I state before the two ways to determine 1978 from 1979 are the dotted lines around the 1979 cards (cut from the boxes) and the colors which are different for the same players in 1978 and 1979 sets. If anyone needs a complete list of all the players/colors let me know... Well now a single variation to this has emerged. The Pete Rose 1978 is a red orange color and the 1979 Pete Rose is a deep red color (easily distinguished if you are looking at them, bit harder on a computer screen because of the limited colors available in a display). I came upon a yellow 1978 Rose, bought it cheap and graded it. All three are shown below.

Anyone that has one of these in yellow please let me know. Also if you have come upon a 78 or 79 color that does not match my player list please let me know because as of right now this yellow 78 Rose is the only exception I have found in 10 years of looking.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any recommendation for cutting the 79s? I've got the full box/ball with Rose/Fisk/Blue/Orta/Montefusco. Given the graded rarity of the true 79s, I might give it a shot.

• Options

Have a steady hand cut them out...I practiced on a few of the creased ones that I didn't mind damaging. Its pretty easy to stay outside the dotted line, but tough to keep the shape perfectly round. The pic of Rose 79 is about as good as I can get. In addition some of the cards had price stickers stuck on one on the card faces and some of the of the cards facing out have inside flaps that are glued to the back of the card (see pic) PSA appears to be giving a PSA 4 for those if everything else is perfect.

Also on the junior ball box (Campy, Bird Fidrych, Lopes) the cards barely fit on the box and many times are found overlapping the fold.

My near complete graded set is here https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1979-wiffle-ball-discs/894

The other 3 sets are NOT 1979s. They are left over "1976" sets which were really 1978s but the owners have not changed them yet...

• Options
    ArmourPhilArmourPhil Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

My 1979 wiffle set is now complete...
    https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1979-wiffle-ball-discs/alltimeset/218458
    looking to upgrade anything less than a 6

Took > 20 years to identify the accurate year of production, convince the Std Catalog of BB Cards and PSA of it's existence and collect the 12 boxes in good enough shape to cut out the discs and get them graded.

As a collector this is the ultimate sense of accomplishment that I know many of you have felt on other sets............

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Fantastic accomplishment Phil ! Your cutting skills are ' Spectacular ' ! I'm really jealous of
    that Psa 10 Lou Brock you have in your set :)
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

@ArmourPhil said:
    https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1979-wiffle-ball-discs/alltimeset/218458

Took > 20 years to identify the accurate year of production, convince the Std Catalog of BB Cards and PSA of it's existence and collect the 12 boxes in good enough shape to cut out the discs and get them graded.

As a collector this is the ultimate sense of accomplishment that I know many of you have felt on other sets............

The sanguillen 1979 in the #1 Master Set wiffle has part of the box and not the disc itself. Like a square cut. How do u cut the circle out ?.....

• Options
  • Options

Lawyer05 that graded Sanguillen is clearly a 1979 disc, not a 1978 as labeled. This must be an old grading, because PSA sas they wil not grade them as full

• Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Phil,

PSA recently graded my full Hrabosky/Bonds header sleeve. I would think they would grade the full box. Did they give a reason why they would not?

• Options

BS,

Your miss interpreting my response.
    Your sleeve, I assume, is the complete sleeve with Bonds on the reverse whereas Sanguillen is one panel of the 1979 box. They are not grading panels only the cur disc or the complete box (now that hey have the extra large holders.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Any recommendation for cutting the 79s? I've got the full box/ball with Rose/Fisk/Blue/Orta/Montefusco. Given the graded rarity of the true 79s, I might give it a shot.

Here's what I did...first, get a very sharp pair of scissors. Cut close, but not too close to the dotted lines. As you do this, keep the disc gently, but firmly enough to rotate easily...use ONLY the finger print portion of your fingers, nails will toast your card. Now trim as close as you can while rotating the piece. I then used 320 grit sandpaper to smooth out the high places. Gently continue to sandpaper away and eyeball your progress. You can go to a higher grit as a final step, but I stopped at 320 grit. I really thought I had a 9, but the attached file came back as an 8, which I was happy to have, the Tiant 79 wiffle is tough to find.

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Beautiful job of cutting on that Tiant !
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    BullJack13BullJack13 Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

Phil, thanks for all the great info on the wiffle items and how to identify them. bsWhiten thanks for the pic of the header sleeve. I was not sure what they were, now I know! Hunting for a Nolan Ryan wiffle ball insert I noticed over the years ones for sale on Ebay and in his Master set with pics they were graded by PSA as 1976's, 1977's, 1978's and even 1979.
    This one I purchased was originally graded a 1976 many years ago. The end of 2019/beginning of 2020 I sent this back to PSA for relabel to the correct year. Too bad Ryan didn't have a 1979 box panel card.

• Options

@bswhiten said:
    Phil,

PSA recently graded my full Hrabosky/Bonds header sleeve. I would think they would grade the full box. Did they give a reason why they would not?

Hi, is this a Jumbo ?

• Options

@ArmourPhil said:
    Lawyer05 that graded Sanguillen is clearly a 1979 disc, not a 1978 as labeled. This must be an old grading, because PSA sas they wil not grade them as full

so i need to cut it ?

• Options

Not sure what your questions are here and above.
    If PSA is now grading full sleeves That is how I would grade them, I would NOT cut them out.
    Since they are naturally folded I am not surprised at the low (PSA 2) grade. If they are cut out that will not change.
    Since the sleeves are larger than a regular card, I'm sure these will now cost $75 to grade.

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

Is this properly labeled ?

@ArmourPhil
    im referring to this one.... this should be cracked and hand cut in a circle ?

• Options
    edited April 24, 2023 2:25PM

@ArmourPhil said:

Ok so im looking at your 1979 Set that is 100% complete. I see that there is no CAREW WIFFLE 1979 DISC on your set,

I wanted to know then why is there a 1979 Carew Wiffle Disc in the Carew Master PLAYER Registry. ?

also, this ROd Carew that just ended on Ebay does not qualify as a 1979 WIFFLE CAREW DISC ?

thanks for the info

• Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

@lawyer05 It is a supersized PSA slab.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA just graded this full box for me. Not sure this is what you were referring to though.

• Options

@stevegarveyfan said:
    PSA just graded this full box for me. Not sure this is what you were referring to though.

@stevegarveyfan said:

I have several of these boxes graded by PSA in those jumbo cases.
    Manny Sanguillen is in the inside one of those boxes but PSA refuses to list him on the label because he does not show as he is inside the box. LOL.

What i asked earlier was.... that if you look at the 1979 Master Wiffe Set which is 100 percent complete, the 1979 Wiffe Master Set does not have a 1979 wiffle Rod Carew in it. ... when clearly there is a 1979 Rod Carew Wiffle Card.

sorry for the spelling, typing from a phone...

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing info and research @ArmourPhil. Thank you.

So my slabbed Ron Cey Wiffle Ball disc says "1976".
    Look up the cert#, and it says "1979 WIFFLE BALL DISCS HAND CUT RON CEY"
    Based on the info here, it is actually a 1978 insert disc.
    I don't think the pop reports and set registries can ever be sorted out and totally correct at this point.

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Rereading this thread because the Reggie Smith Master set composite recently added a 1979 Wiffle Reggie Smith.
    The item, based on the current info, does not exist, and should never have been added to a registry composite.

@lawyer05 I'm sure you figured it out by now, but @ArmourPhil was stating that the 1979 Bat and Ball header cards were an entirely different set.

"There are also 28 players printed on sleeves or what Wiffle calls "headers" that were used to hold one ball and 1 bat together in store displays. I consider these separate sets since the backs are blank on he sleeve discs"

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 10:14AM

After doing a bit more research, Reggie Smith does appear on the Bat and Ball header card with Steve Carlton.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15