Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What the Darkside needs....

2»

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zohar

Most organized religions have their fair share of whack jobs doing evil things in the name of their supposed god(s).

It's a question of definition and degree of evil. Evil acts are widespread across all religions, yet to indicate they are evenly spread at this time is not true. Haven't seen Christians behead or blow themselves up to kill others in some time and/or eliminate other religions that live among them - on the contrary, the West has embraced multi culturalism at an obsessive level. All one should do is run a fact check on # of Christians, Kurds and Yazidis being converted or slaughtered in the Middle East. There are no Jewish people in Arab countries as they were shipped off decades ago. I don't see the same wholesale aggression by other religions at this time. Lebanon was 80% Christian and 20% Muslim in the 1920s and considered to be the Paris of the Middle East... it's now the opposite ratio.

Let's not confuse progressive secularism and desire to separate church and state and a murderous use of religion to eradicate others.

Aggression by religious extremists ebbs and flows among the religions. If you don't think Jews are able to be just as "extreme", then read up on Baruch Goldstein. No organized religion is without its extreme and crazy members.

My point is that you can not condemn a complete class of people (there are around 1.6 billion Muslims in the world) based on the actions of a few extremists. In general, the majority of evil perpetrated in the "name of god" has been from followers of the Abrahamic religions (Christians, Jews, and Muslims). The bizarre thing is they are usually killing other Abrahamic believers -- in the name of a same god.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    It was my hope that this thread would be used to build a feeling of community amongst the members of the Darkside, sadly that does not appear to be the case. I regret posting it.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for my posts, I'll get back to work. image

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's stick to coins then I agree. Events and history will play out and views will be shaped accordingly, even though I doubt people change much from their core, developed during a lifetime given personal beliefs and experience.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is a type of cement that will automatically melt snow.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Originally posted by: brg5658

This is the type of content I had in mind when I started this thread.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Aethelred

You know I watched that for ten minutes and that little guy is really getting nowhere
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    HAH! @Swampboy

I think if I keep using the ampersand, eventually, it will start working ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope your tests went well, Dan? That is one sweet car. I have really hit the weight-loss program hard this year, cut WAY back on the carbohydrates and started walking, then running (well, it feels like running to me, even though it may look like walking to you; I am 66, after all), and guess what? I have managed to lose so far 43 pounds. My friend, an ER physician, told me I am on a ketogenic diet. I had to Google that, but I guess all those peanuts and avocados and all that prime rib do add up to that.

It's not snowing here, either, although it's gonna get cold enough tonight and rain is moving in. But I think flurries is all it could be.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news about your tests Dan. I scrolled down after my first post (not the last time I will be behind today).

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aggression by religious extremists ebbs and flows among the religions. If you don't think Jews are able to be just as "extreme", then read up on Baruch Goldstein. No organized religion is without its extreme and crazy members.

Hey, I am not sure what warranted THIS statement from you here altogether.

Why did you just choose to bring up a Jewish angle here?

But since you mentioned it, the Baruch Goldstein episode was a one time horrible crime , or if you want to splice that statement apart too, a very very RARE by JEWISH occurrence, a terror act. One that was immediately condemned by almost ALL Jews...the left, the right , whatever!

and then;

My point is that you can not condemn a complete class of people (there are around 1.6 billion Muslims in the world) based on the actions of a few extremists.

..and this comment is also odd...and trust me I am being more than civil here by saying so. A "few" extremists?

What is considered a few? Shall we even go there? NO, probably not.

Perhaps we should only discuss Darkside coins - but I must admit I liked the thought of having an open forum, a chitchat of sorts for "other" stuff and hope this didn't go South.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aethelred..the OP...forgot to mention - thanks nice idea - don't fret over it - we can all use some sterile kool-aid from time to timeimage

Wonder if any of the darksiders here remember the lite-side threads by a gent named clankeye. Some of those were totally hilarious, it was called tales of Camelot, back in 2002 or around that time. They were all based around happenings of that time or week. Quite memorable.

Many litesiders had cameo appearances in the script. Which made it must read every week for a spell. Some that stand out are Lord Marcovan & Airplanenut who actually was quite young then if I recall maybe 15 even.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for my posts, I'll get back to work. image

Here's another cute monkey to go with your monkey.....

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monkeys, Michael! image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Swampboy

You know I watched that for ten minutes and that little guy is really getting nowhere

I keep rooting for him, I know he will get it!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    67- now 68 posts in, you might as well make it quasi-offical, O Dead King, and change the title of this to "The Quasi-Official Darkside Off-Topic Thread".

Though I already posted it on the Liteside, I thought I'd repost this morning's circulation find:

I treated my new(-ish) car to its first oil change and tire rotation this morning. Because I paid for that with cash instead of using my debit card as I normally would have, I got change back.

So of course I had to examine the handful of coins. image

One of the pennies had that certain brown color you'd expect to see on a Wheat cent- you know what I mean.

But without my specs on, I can't read the dates on coins, so I was going to turn it over and see if the wheat ears were there.

But the coin was stuck to a shiny new Shield cent somehow.

Prying it and the new coin apart, I saw a greasy substance like Vaseline was holding them together.

Alas, the brown cent was a Memorial. It turned out to not even be a copper Memorial- just a stinkin' Zincoln- a 1993.

After 1.5 seconds of disappointment and a brief "eww" over the greasy stuff, my eye strayed to one of the nickels.

Ta-dahh!!! image

First Buffalo I've captured "from the wild" in a few years!

Yes, it's a common date, but a pretty dang nice one for a circ find, wouldn't you say?

And all because I used cash instead of plastic.

I was already having a pretty nice morning, but that made my smile even bigger. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I've NEVER gotten a buffalo in change! image

• Options
    Cool to find it that way, all joking aside! image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: asheland

I've NEVER gotten a buffalo in change! image

I got one from a Pepsi machine back in the early '90s (back when I worked at Beacon Manufacturing in your neck of the woods). It was a similarly decent 1937-D (but with four legs, alas).

Roll searching, also back in the early '90s, I got three Buffs in a roll once (from a bank in Leicester, NC right near where Ye Dead King now lives). Two were dateless, the other a pretty slick 1920. That same bank produced a roll of cents with an old two-digit pre-ZIP postal code on the wrapper, which got me excited to see. Sure enough, inside it was nothing but Wheat cents. Nothing rare, but that stuff was fun to get from "circulation".

Then a few years ago, I found another Buff - a 1929- while roll searching. (That was the last time I did any roll searching, actually.)

But aside from the Pepsi machine find, this is only the second time I've had one appear from the wild without even really looking for it.

Twice I've eyeballed Buffalo nickels lying on the ground in sandy soil. (Once in NC, the other time here in GA. Both of those finds were dated 1936, as I recall.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Awesome! I love roll searching! image
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool find! Love the feeling of finding treasure.
  • Options
    Ghosts of Christmas Past.

G'head, share some of yours. image

Me and my sled dog.

Christmas, 1969.

OK, Santa, I might be a toddler and all, but really? Isn't that a pretty bad fake beard?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

why soup has so many carrots in it these days

Stay away from the Italian Wedding Soup by both Campbell's & Progresso as it tastes like a harsh divorce in every spoon full! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Rob, fun pics! image