Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What the Darkside needs....

....Is an official "Off Topic" thread for all members to chat about their day, why soup has so many carrots in it these days and to brag about seeing Billy Corgin or Dan Rather at the local Asian market.

I propose this very thread.image

Any thoughts?
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who the heck is Billy Corgin?

I'd recognize Billy Idol, my detecting pal Billy Ridenour, or Billy the Kid if I saw them at the Asian market (assuming we HAD an Asian market here), but not him.

Then again, if I saw Billy the Kid strolling around with a market basket full of edamame and bok choy, I'd leave the Asian market and dash for the nearest place that sold weaponry and survivalist supplies (not as difficult to find in a "red" state like this), because I'd know the Zombie Apocalypse was finally upon us.

PS- maybe Billy the Kid in an Asian market isn't so farfetched. Did you know they just found a second known photograph of him? In it, he's playing croquet. Croquet! (Think I just made that up? Google it.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea even though I am not willing to share why I should be a guest writer for SNL for the next year.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I just pulled the first tooth from one of my 7 year old twins. It's been loose for a while, and he was complaining that it hurt when we were eating dinner. So, a little Advil, a little force, and it's out.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never push a loyal person to the point where they no longer give a damn.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my first PT session tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

Also, not snowing here.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    "PS- maybe Billy the Kid in an Asian market isn't so farfetched. Did you know they just found a second known photograph of him? In it, he's playing croquet. Croquet! (Think I just made that up? Google it.) "

Seen that, but I have yet to make up my mind that it is really Billy the Kid.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Originally posted by: coinkat
    Great idea even though I am not willing to share why I should be a guest writer for SNL for the next year.

Oh how i am dying to ask!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Originally posted by: PBRat
    I just pulled the first tooth from one of my 7 year old twins. It's been loose for a while, and he was complaining that it hurt when we were eating dinner. So, a little Advil, a little force, and it's out.

Will he get a cool coin under his pillow?

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Originally posted by: harasha
    Never push a loyal person to the point where they no longer give a damn.

Noted!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Originally posted by: ajaan
    I have my first PT session tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

Also, not snowing here.

Hope it goes well, how are you healing?

We have not had any snow yet either and i am okay with that.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I accepted a new job today, so that's kind of exciting, io oil and gas , I'll be opening up the US office for them.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm off to Asia tomorrow for a much needed vacation with Mrs. EVP. Hong Kong and Thailand. Too bad the weather won't be so good, but at least it'll be very warm.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

I'm going to make a big fat coin purchase tonight.

It's actually a Liteside coin.

Oh, wait... that's not OT enough, is it.

I have some Liteside haters who get annoyed when I post OT or Darkside stuff on their forum. Now here I am discussing a Liteside coin in an OT thread on the Darkside!

Has a nice symmetry, I think.

I'll take irony for 500, please, Alex.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Billy Billy Billy

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCMhouston
    I accepted a new job today, so that's kind of exciting, io oil and gas , I'll be opening up the US office for them.

Oil and Gas services expanding in Houston? At least someone is hiring right now.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Aethelred

...why soup has so many carrots in it these days...

I have no idea what Aethelred is talking about. I have never, ever eaten soup that has carrots in it.

Around here, soup-like substances containing carrots are usually called "stew", or maybe "casseroles", depending on their consistency.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
    Good luck on the new job, JCMh.

(Was gonna take your "oil and gas" reference and crack an all too real joke about natural gas and what I had for dinner, but let's skip those details, shall we? You're welcome.)

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I had ablations done to both legs last month and am having a Stress test tomorrow. I did a car show this past weekend with my 93 Allante', my 1966 Lemans is still a work in progress. . Got sunburned but was in heaven.

Didn't we used to have an "Open Forum" that they shut down because of flaming?

Dan
    Originally posted by: theboz11
    I had ablations done to both legs last month and am having a Stress test tomorrow. I did a car show this past weekend with my 93 Allante', my 1966 Lemans is still a work in progress. . Got sunburned but was in heaven.

Didn't we used to have an "Open Forum" that they shut down because of flaming?

Dan

Good luck with your stress test!

Yes, I really miss the OF and do not think the forums have ever ben the same sine they shut it down, but this is their forum and they know best.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Originally posted by: Sapyx

I have no idea what Aethelred is talking about. I have never, ever eaten soup that has carrots in it.

Around here, soup-like substances containing carrots are usually called "stew", or maybe "casseroles", depending on their consistency.

Myself, i like carrots if they are cooked.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the EU officially banning Israeli (E.Jerusalem, Judea/Samaria etc.) products like wine, fruits and stuff is really wrong.

-

-

With numerous ongoing conflicts/atrocities in ALL over the World to pick, and single out the one democracy in that part of the world is morally wrong on every count.
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    open forum would be fantastic..

everyone could spill their most inner feelings and then get free advise from other members.

it could be a very busy forum...
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rabbits like carrots. image

Originally posted by: Sapyx

Myself, i like carrots if they are cooked.

I will tolerate carrots if they're cooked really soft. Not down to some paste, mind you, but soft.

And surrounded by a good beef stew, preferably.

I do like things that are commonly measured in carats. The more the merrier with those kind of carats.

Edit. I am thinking my typing might improve a little if I put on some mittens. Couldn't get much worse than it is right now.

• PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PBRat

Will he get a cool coin under his pillow?

He got some currency. But, what a great idea. I'll have to chat with the Tooth Fairy next time she comes to my house.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I agree Aethelred. They said they killed all of the terrorists. Still does not seem like enough.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nicholasz219 unfortunately there is more to come. And for accuracy, it is Islamic terrorism. No different than 9/11, Boston Marathon, Ft. Hood, Chattanooga, Madrid, London, Charlie Hebdo and many others.

In the meanwhile, Americans are busy hash tagging nonsense to promote an intense PC culture. My vent is over !
    Zohar, you are right and since it was late I was tired and did not want to rant. I still do not. But yes so much of old fashioned horse sense and decency of America is subsumed by stupidity as you mentioned that it is hard not to want to rant daily.
    Nick - I just had to get it out. Thanks for the post.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nicholasz219 unfortunately there is more to come. And for accuracy, it is Islamic terrorism.

bingo..and this one happened in Paris - heart of peace loving people open to all, an accepting people as they say.

You see they make no distinction.

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: marcmoish

nicholasz219 unfortunately there is more to come. And for accuracy, it is Islamic terrorism.

bingo..and this one happened in Paris - heart of peace loving people open to all, an accepting people as they say.

You see they make no distinction.

They do go after "gun free zones" like all mass murderers. That is a distinction that should be noted.

On a happier note.

My stress test went well, and I get the result this Friday.

Originally posted by: Zohar
    nicholasz219 unfortunately there is more to come. And for accuracy, it is Islamic terrorism. No different than 9/11, Boston Marathon, Ft. Hood, Chattanooga, Madrid, London, Charlie Hebdo and many others.

In the meanwhile, Americans are busy hash tagging nonsense to promote an intense PC culture. My vent is over !

That is correct and needs to be said!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But what is the solution? 30,000-40,000 combat troops on the ground for 20+ years? Once you destroy ISIS, if you can, don't you think there will be something else to fill the void? So you must keep troops there. Also, want to start a war with Russia over Syria? I can't stand these politicians calling for 'boots on the ground' just as a political ploy.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    This is a holy war which doesn't have borders. If it did, I would agree that it can be ignored and left for others to deal with. The politicians limiting this issue to "ISIL" are misleading. "ISIL" didn't take down the towers. "ISIL" didn't blast the train in Madrid and UK. The Christian/Yazidi/Kurdish population in the Middle East has been slaughtered by them and other fanatics. They come in different forms.

No one is suggesting beating the war drums for years yet I wouldn't bet on this going away on its own. I also do not believe that relinquishing control over Asia Pacific, Middle East to Iran, Russia and China is wise long term. Isolationism as a global power has been attempted many times. In the 30s the US stayed out and it took Pearl Harbor and 20mm dead to defeat Hitler. Could have ended earlier sparing US, Russian lives as well as the extermination of the Jews.

If I am Japan or Eastern Europe (Poland in particular) right now, I must be getting nervous as the Ukraine/Georgia example showed that Western allies do not protect you when needed. NATO has antiquated defenses to deal with what's ahead if Russia makes a move.

I will conclude with my view that being Kind to Evil will lead people to being Evil to Kind. We should speak softly yet carry a big stick as preferred approach or we will end up paying a heavier price in longer term. These fanatic movements are evil - predominantly to their own people and/or anyone who is of a different faith.

Z, you are right. Looking the other way almost guarantees a slaughter of some sort when forces of evil like this are unleashed upon the world. There are too many examples. The wrongheaded appeasement/avoidance approach only allows for further bloodshed not of soldiers, but of civilians. It seems to be a lesson that no politician wants to learn as long as there is an easier political path by being the friendly inclusive person.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    @LM, the Corgin guy is the singer/guitarist in Smashing Pumpkins.

Yes I know the ampersand doesn't work here like it does on other modern websites but hey ... why not.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

I will conclude with my view that being Kind to Evil will lead people to being Evil to Kind. We should speak softly yet carry a big stick as preferred approach or we will end up paying a heavier price in longer term. These fanatic movements are evil - predominantly to their own people and/or anyone who is of a different faith.

image X100
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all Greek to me.
    Well, I'd buy that for a dollar!
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a holy war which doesn't have borders. If it did, I would agree that it can be ignored and left for others to deal with. The politicians limiting this issue to "ISIL" are misleading. "ISIL" didn't take down the towers. "ISIL" didn't blast the train in Madrid and UK. The Christian/Yazidi/Kurdish population in the Middle East has been slaughtered by them and other fanatics. They come in different forms.

No one is suggesting beating the war drums for years yet I wouldn't bet on this going away on its own. I also do not believe that relinquishing control over Asia Pacific, Middle East to Iran, Russia and China is wise long term. Isolationism as a global power has been attempted many times. In the 30s the US stayed out and it took Pearl Harbor and 20mm dead to defeat Hitler. Could have ended earlier sparing US, Russian lives as well as the extermination of the Jews.

If I am Japan or Eastern Europe (Poland in particular) right now, I must be getting nervous as the Ukraine/Georgia example showed that Western allies do not protect you when needed. NATO has antiquated defenses to deal with what's ahead if Russia makes a move.

Most organized religions have their fair share of whack jobs doing evil things in the name of their supposed god(s).

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Most organized religions have their fair share of whack jobs doing evil things in the name of their supposed god(s).

It's a question of definition and degree of evil. Evil acts are widespread across all religions, yet to indicate they are evenly spread at this time is not true. Haven't seen Christians behead or blow themselves up to kill others in some time and/or eliminate other religions that live among them - on the contrary, the West has embraced multi culturalism at an obsessive level. All one should do is run a fact check on # of Christians, Kurds and Yazidis being converted or slaughtered in the Middle East. There are no Jewish people in Arab countries as they were shipped off decades ago. I don't see the same wholesale aggression by other religions at this time. Lebanon was 80% Christian and 20% Muslim in the 1920s and considered to be the Paris of the Middle East... it's now the opposite ratio.

Let's not confuse progressive secularism and desire to separate church and state and a murderous use of religion to eradicate others.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what the Darkside needs?

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Hammered coins: image