Home Precious Metals
Options

JM Bullion

Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see JM bullion is selling RMC kilo silver bars at .89 over spot.
When looking at the reviews...someone posted how happy she was to get an extra 2 ounces in her bar. Wouldn't you be a bit suspect if you had a 34 ounce kilo bar? Do these bars have a tendency to run heavy like that?

Comments

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Downtown1974

I see JM bullion is selling RMC kilo silver bars at .89 over spot.

When looking at the reviews...someone posted how happy she was to get an extra 2 ounces in her bar. Wouldn't you be a bit suspect if you had a 34 ounce kilo bar? Do these bars have a tendency to run heavy like that?

1 Kilo would be 35.2739620 AV oz's, so that's probably not her mistake in weighing it, that's still a full oz too much being she said "2 oz's".

To answer your question if I got a kilo bar that weighed 2 ty. oz's too much, YES, I would be very suspect of it. That just doesn't happen, esp. with a newer item.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the person who reviewed this bar doesn't know what they are talking about.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We assume the reviewer knows what she is doing, etc., but perhaps not. Perhaps she weighed it on some old kitchen scale that was not calibrated, and perhaps it was in regular ounces instead of troy ounces. who knows??

In this day and age a bar manufacturer is not going to give you 2 free ounces.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tincup

We assume the reviewer knows what she is doing, etc., but perhaps not. Perhaps she weighed it on some old kitchen scale that was not calibrated, and perhaps it was in regular ounces instead of troy ounces. who knows??

This.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    d

For sure.... if it could be checked out, and found to be correct though, I would be buying...big time...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

That's what AV oz's are as I mentioned, but even weighing in using AV oz's, it would be more than 3 oz's off, the reviewer says 2.

At this point who knows, am I buying any of these? Not a chance with this coming to light. It may not be .999 silver to weigh that much off.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

That's what AV oz's are as I mentioned, but even weighing in using AV oz's, it would be more than 3 oz's off, the reviewer says 2.

At this point who knows, am I buying any of these? Not a chance with this coming to light. It may not be .999 silver to weigh that much off.

Do you really think these are bad bars coming from a major bullion dealer who buys them directly from the refiner?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not a "bar" guy, I mostly stick with ASEs and Maples. But at .89 over spot...I grabbed one.
    It came in today and weighed 1,000 grams dead nuts. Nice looking bar! Lightning fast shipping from JM too!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

I'm guessing the person who reviewed this bar doesn't know what they are talking about.

This. Doesn't know difference between avdp. and troy ounces and is using a food scale or something like.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.