Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

November's Pick-Ups.....Let's share....

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and one wacky pick up....

• Options
    With the addition of this Chappy Charles card I am now only 6 cards shy of completing my T206 Cardinals team set!

[URL=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/cardsfan73/media/T206/img058_zpslrbxgpub.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Here are 4 more T-206s that I recently picked up for my NY Player sub set. Many of the low grade ones I pick up are graded low due to back damage, such as pencil markings, slight paper loss or glue left over from removing the card from a scrap book.

Doyle - Factory overprint on reverse

I also received the '64 Koufax Stand-Up. Frank Robinson is the last card needed to complete the set.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Great pickups Doug! I can't wait til you complete the stand ups set.

I don't own any T206's but lately I've got the itch. Growing up in Rhode Island we always heard about the Providence Grays, so I think I'd like to pick up a Prov player's T206 (low grade) sometime soon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq
    Here are 4 more T-206s that I recently picked up for my NY Player sub set.

The only card my wife has ever given grief about selling was a PSA 6 Chase Pink Portrait. She referred to it as "her's" and was the only card displayed in the living room.

Thanks for the love on the Japanese cards guys, they've been pretty popular since I posted them. I also started a signed 1983 topps set recently and scratched semi-tough one off today.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big rookie card from a really tough set. Miller Press bought the rights for golf cards from Donruss after their 82 issue and followed a similar design to the 81/82D golf sets, but only issued them as uncut sheets at a couple events each year. The 83s seem to be the toughest, with each year up to 89 getting a bit easier. It 1990 they kept the presses running until selling the golf rights to Pro Set.

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    very nice. always loved the aesthetics of him and this card. the hat and knickers go great w/ the border.

the 86' series is a pretty tough year as well.

btw: i did end up snagging that one ya tipped me off on and another thank you!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: begsu1013
    btw: i did end up snagging that one ya tipped me off on and another thank you!

You got a great deal on it then. Mine would have been much more affordable if Chad hadn't bid me up image
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Picked up my first N29 today for my Hall of Fame catchers collection. I fell in love with this card when I saw it. As discussed with the 1953 Topps set, I see this as a work of art as much as a baseball card.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    been busy w/ life events and such...these have been over the course of past lil bit and finally getting around to scanning, logging, posting.

yugoslavian jordan and manute bol. one of the final nails in the basic mantle signed set and another ryan to add to the collection:

and of course, someone beat me to the punch w/ the japanese baseball cards, however at this point I've just been sticking to sadaharu oh w/ an astonishing 868 homeruns, may get into shigeo nagashimas, but still have some reading up to do to see.

still have a lil homework to figure out the exact year on some of these, any help would be greatly appreciated!

so far this is my fav: all time home run bomber coupled w/ the explosion graphics in the background coupled w/ our history w/ japan and bombs makes this an all around great card in my opinion:

1975 menko sadaharu oh:

1959 menko #6575 sadaharu oh rookie:

1960-70s menko sadahru oh (any know exact year, please lemme know):

1960 - 70 menko sadahru oh (any know exact year, please lemme know):

1962 menko sadaharu oh:

1975 menko sadaharu oh:

1975 menko sadaharu oh

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    OH boy are those some cool cards.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    gee whiz..i don't know even where to begin....ill just say thanks for posting....they all have been awesome.....a great month
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    These just came in the mail today. I've been keeping the occasional eye out and finally found this pair of 5s. These guys were a huge part of my childhood. I remember when we first got cable and watched a lot of wrestling as a kid. Two of the best ever. I may have overpaid a touch, but I'm all about appearance over grade and I thought these were pretty nice 5s and they largely checked all the boxes. All I can say is Whoooo...anybody wanna peanut?

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    you've got some giant flair there, jim...

good eye (again) and nicely done!!!
  • Options
    Love the 19th century card, Wow! And the Oh cards are beyond cool!!
  • Options
    BEG ... gotta LOVE that '54 autographed Bowman MICK!!!!!!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    doug,

you have no idea. i have one guy (hi richard) that have been working on his for at least 6 months or so. he was on the fence and almost had'em, but he stuck to his guns and kept it! proud of him for it. i had one of the tech guys create an app that refreshes my ebay search criterias every 3 minutes or so and if it does, it alerts my phone. well, this popped up friday night (during an anniversary dinner of all things as well) w/ millcreek sports cards. ordered from them before and called and snagged it immediately. err, i mean went to the bathroom where there was a slight waiting line! image

but in the end, the journey and search was the best part...the fact that it showed during the ol anniversary just means it was meant to be.

and yes, i absolutely love it and her!!!
  • Options
    Another pick up for the Cardinals T206 team set, this time Hall Of Famer Vic Willis (Batting). Already had the other "throwing" front variation so I am pretty happy to pick this one up!

[URL=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/cardsfan73/media/T206/img061_zpswe26cehz.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    I really need to learn about these 206's. Awesome cards!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: thebaseballcardkid
    I really need to learn about these 206's. Awesome cards!!

It's really a great set & there so much to learn about it. So many back variations with all the different brands, series & factory numbers. I am focused on St. Louis Cardinals & St. Louis Browns cards now but I have a feeling I am going to be branching out into other stuff soon. The set is kind of like crack! If you are interested in learning more you should check out t206.org or check out the net54 forums. I lurked over their for a long time and learned so much!

The great thing is you can pick up cards which would technically grade low but have amazing eye appeal for great prices. I have purchased several Hall Of Famers and I think the most I have spent on a card is about $80.00. I am also a big fan of the T205 set too.

• Options
    PINHOLES ARE YOUR FRIENDS!!!!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

PINHOLES ARE YOUR FRIENDS!!!!

Yeah they are!

• Options
    Picked up both of these from the daughter-in-law of the original owner. The original owner kept them in her piano bench with her most prized possessions since the day she obtained them in 1947-1948 while living in a Detroit suburb. The story of these cards is simply incredible, and I will one day share it once I'm ready to unleash my research to the card collecting public. Nonetheless, it serves as proof that the set was not limited to the NYC area as once thought.

The glove in air card will be going back to PSA for review.

Not sure why cards aren't displaying:

• Options
    Love that 54 Bowman Mick! A signed 50's Mantle is on my 2016 goal list and I've narrowed it down to the 54 Bowman and 56 Topps. Great pickup and thanks for sharing the Oh's as well.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way to attach pictures from my laptop? Having trouble posting a pic.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great ticket stub, and awesome Canseco Tiffany RC. I just submitted an 84 Topps Tiffany Strawberry. Keeping my fingers crossed on landing a 10.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few 75's for my set.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darin, those are some sweet looking 75's you just added. Are you working on an all PSA 9 set? How far along are you on the set?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JBrules
    Darin, those are some sweet looking 75's you just added. Are you working on an all PSA 9 set? How far along are you on the set?

Thanks! I'm only about 30% complete on the set. I'm kind of concentrating on the HOF'ers and star cards in the set like these four. I have about 70% of the Hall of famers in the set. I have PSA 8's also. For instance, I have a beautiful Bob Gibson PSA 8 which I really like with no plans to upgrade. I'm kind of working on it slowly along with a couple player sets and really enjoying it.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Darin

Thanks! I'm only about 30% complete on the set. I'm kind of concentrating on the HOF'ers and star cards in the set like these four. I have about 70% of the Hall of famers in the set. I have PSA 8's also. For instance, I have a beautiful Bob Gibson PSA 8 which I really like with no plans to upgrade. I'm kind of working on it slowly along with a couple player sets and really enjoying it.

Great 75's. What player sets are you working on? Can you link your sets?

• Options
    Great 75's. What player sets are you working on? Can you link your sets?

I'm mostly working on Al Kaline basic set. Don't have it published yet though. Completed the Stargell and almost finished with the Brett. Would also like to do the Ernie Banks basic set.

All my sets have my name on them, like Darin's Stargell cards, Darin's 75 topps cards, etc. Just got this Kaline card in the mail today.

• Options
    Wow, what a great looking card from a great looking set!
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Darin

Cool I'm currently working on a 1975 PSA set as well. I just picked up a nice high grade Stargell.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very thankful to add this Venezuela Mantle to my collection. Presents well and does not have the paper loss on the back that many examples show.

• Options
    Wow, it really doesn't get much better than a Venezuelan Mick! Especially with no paper loss. Congrats!
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 64 Topps Mantle was the first I ever owned and one of my all time favorites. Great pickup. Especially the Venezualan version.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    i now love a good 64....thats a great 64..and a venez. mantle no less
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Mantle, very scarce, well done!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    What started as a slow month for me came to nice close. I'll start with a rookie who is a very present figure around the ballpark in Baltimore. I've been outbid on a handful of nice PSA 8's over the last 6 months. I actually won a really nice PSA 5 about 3 weeks ago from probstein. Then, I saw this beauty of a PSA 7, so the PSA 5 was in my set for all of a week or two, and is now for sale. Here is a link to my Boog Powell Set and here is the card..

I finishd my Jim Palmer Basic Set years ago, and I've nabbed a few upgrades recently. This gives me 9 PSA 10's in the basic set.

The last card for November is a part of a small project I'm working on. There is no Registry set, since I only have 3 of them, but I'm putting together a Carl Furillo set. A lot of his cards present really well. I have a '51 Bowman, a '56 Topps and I got this beauty last week.

Happy belated Thaksgiving, everyone!
  • Options
    Rugbymarine- cool cards. I love rookie/2nd year cards with either the star (1962) or all-star rookie trophy on it. They always captured my attention since I was a kid. Really digging that Powell. Early Donruss cards are underrated. The '82 set is great. Gotta love that they used a bat for the name plate and that is a pristine Palmer. Nice pick ups.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Maddux69- I don't know much about these Venezuelan cards but I have not seen many with that kind of centering and eye appeal. That card stands out for sure. Nice pick up.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome cards guys! Love the 62 Boog and the Vene Mantle. Never owned a Venezuelan before but on the bucket list.

Here's a modern pickup but I'm thinking of framing it with the Foxx auto I picked up a few weeks ago. One of my favorite of the memorabilia sets:

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Ian, great cards! I especially like the Boog. Cool Furillo. My first graded card was his 51 bowman PSA 5.5

Love the Foxx relic. One of my favorite players of all time.
  • Options
    WOW! That '64 Mantle Venny looks AWESOME.

That '50 Furillo presents REAL well.

Enjoy the cards guys.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    November Pickup:

• Options
    Nice Griffey. Didn't realize that card was a pretty big one until I looked at VCP. Looks like everyone should just forget about the 89 UD and go with the Tiffany bowman.