Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

November's Pick-Ups.....Let's share....

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That lightning hit Pee Wee in his throwing arm. Since he wasn't grounded he made a good throw to first and got the runner.

First time ever a player was struck by lightning and still completed the double play. Tough little guy.
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dialj
    Just picked this up. Will be submitting on my annual membership.

Nice pick up. Having recently acquired one myself, I have really grown to appreciate it more and more. A really undervalued card.
  • Options
    James, that Aaron is SICK!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Well...it's not 311...but it is 312...and a welcome addition to the collection, as I've decided to complete the Jackie Topps Basic run. This will add to my 55 and 56, leaving just the 53 and 54 left to acquire.

I didn't want to pay as much as I did, but I've been keeping an eye open for some time.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love me some nice looking low grade legends. This one jumped out at me about a month ago.

I watched it for a while. Even letting a decent looking, better priced card go, because I knew I wouldn't be as happy with it, even at the better price.

This one, to me, was just too clean...as I don't mind the rounded corners so much, when exchanging for bold color, good reg, and mostly solid centering. I then tried to work out an off eBay deal for it. I got some movement, but realized if I just waited for another Bucks offer, I would actually pay less in total. So I rolled the dice it wouldn't go...not a huge risk considering the ask...and when the latest 4x was offered, I finally bit the bullet. I just didn't think I'd find one as nice, for much less...if at all. While it was about 12% more than the previous VCP high, it was 10% less than the avg. 4. I couldn't find any sense in passing up a card I couldn't stop looking at, over a few extra dollars, and I thought it was by far the nicest example in my price range. Quite happy with this one in hand.

So without further ado...I introduce you to my latest addition the 1952 Topps #312...

I also grabbed a moderately difficult to find 73 BK Pack. With this addition, I'm just a 71 BK Pack short of completing my 71-82 BB, FB, BK Run. An 86F BK Pack will complete all runs through 90....maybe someday.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Jackie. Centering is super tough on that card. Yours looks great.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Some great stuff on here. Jim, I love the Jackie Robinson. You will not regret paying a little more for the card you wanted. Great looking card. The Pee Wee Reese is also very nice. Love the picture and the excellent centering provides a great frame for the classic photo.

I already posted this in a separate thread, but I am posting it here too because I am so stoked. It has been on my "to get" list for over a year. Finally happy to snag one.

Best player in the game right now (at least the most entertaining). Very happy to add another PSA 10 to my Stephen Curry collection. I will update that thread soon.

If you can't tell I love me some basketball. Here is the next big thing (along with Curry). I have been collecting AD for a while now but his cards are hard to find already graded in PSA so I have been on the lookout for raw cards to send in. Hopefully I will snag some 10's with at least some of these pickups. I love the look of all of them. The stickers are on very thin stock.

Steve
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    First off - a few dollar box rescues:

I know the Grace isn't worth much, but I didn't have an 88 Leaf in my collection, so why not? It pairs nicely with my 87 Leaf Bo Jackson.

Also, a Saints relic card:

A few Pelicans relic cards. I really like the Noir Holiday (on the left):

Last, but definitely not least - there's a Wal-Mart near my work. I popped in during lunch on Friday. They had just replenished the $2.98 clearance rack packs. I usually buy a couple if there is a recent Topps set I haven't finished. There was ONE 2011 Topps Update rack. I always buy these, because there's a shot at a Mike Trout RC.

Well, I did one better on Friday:

YAHTZEE!

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    That Trout is a great hit!
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Here are a couple recent additions. First I'm a sucker now for centered Mantles. Already have a psa 5.5, but this one looks darn near as good and better centered. 53 Bowman I believe may be the most undervalued Mantle there is just comparing the numbers on the pop report...

Also I finally got outside my comfort zone and bought something other than Mantle. I am leaning towards either starting a Maris run, or dappling in the rookie category. Haven't decided yet Maris may be better for my wallet though. Thanks for the deal Jeff!

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I don't come on this thread too often but glad I did...Mike, that Maris is off the charts, congrats!!! If you do a Maris run let me know how it goes, so cool!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    Originally posted by: belz

I don't come on this thread too often but glad I did...Mike, that Maris is off the charts, congrats!!! If you do a Maris run let me know how it goes, so cool!!!

Thanks Steven! Just another testament that shows Jeff is the best dealer with the best cards for any grade a collector would want.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Wow, there are some wonderful items here. This thread keeps getting better and better every month. I look forward to this thread everyday. Keep it up everyone!

My additions have been getting fewer and far between, as I have reevaluated my collecting goals. I am trying to narrow down my focuses. However, I want to share my newest addition. I picked up this one from Jeff @ Card Country. It was yet again a very smooth purchase. Thank you, Jeff. I look forward to seeing you in Chicago in a few weeks.

I find it easy to get wrapped up in HOF Rookie Cards; however, I have become fond of second-year copies. When I saw that Jeff had recently added this one, I was instantly drawn to the color and clarity. I am very excited to add it to my collection:

• Options
    Helluva nice Hammer!
  • Options
    Regretted trading my PSA 6, extremely fortunate to find this one and the awesome centering to go with it! Thanks Jeff (Card Country) for working out another one!!!!

• Options
    Nice hit on the Trout!

Man some nice baseball cards being posted here. The Maris RC is sharp! John, that is also a very crisp Aaron 2nd year. I wish Rose had a better looking RC, but that is a great addition to any collection. Three in a row from CardCountry! Jeff is a great seller. This thread is a reminder that I have to look at his collector focus page again.
    Steve
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been slacking on posting…here are my only two pickups in the last two months I think:

• Options
    Great pickups. I was looking at a Maris PSA 7 and that 8 is gorgeous. And the Rose has great centering. Thanks for posting.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    Just got a nice mailday today. I got a couple more Anthony Davis raw cards, neither is gradableimage, but they are both nice raw cards to add to my collection. I also got a lot of about 20 1986 Fleer BK cards, hopefully there will be some grade-worthy entries in there. Here are the two highlights. I sold my Gretzky 8 a while back and while I want to someday get an OPC in 7 or higher, I saw this at auction and thought it looked good. Threw out a reasonable bid and came back the winner. Happy to have a Gretzky RC in the collection again. I have mostly PSA 10's of Anthony Davis, but for certain cards I have opened up to BGS 9.5's because there just aren't that many graded Anthony Davis cards yet. This is one of my favorite of his RC's. For those not familiar, this Crusade card is very similar to the Topps Chrome refractor series, even using the same gimmick of numbering different color variations to various print runs. This is numbered to 99. I recently picked up a raw version in purple that is numbered to 49 that I hope will Gem in my next sub. Only bummer on this card is the slab is a little scratched up. BGS cards also scan poorly with my scanner so unfortunately the scan does not do the card justice. Thanks for looking.

Steve
  • Options
    Well boys, I debated a bit on whether or not this was even worth sharing, but in the end, decided there may be enough folks in my age range to appreciate the sentimentality of this acquisition...even if it is a bit wordy.

I was born in 1971. I would say 79-83 were the first stage of my collecting interest. See, those were the years when my life largely revolved around 4 things. Cards, Sports, Video Games, and Soda (Coke, in particular)....before Music (33s, 45s, and Cassettes), Movies, and Girls started taking some of my interests and dollars.

Since my dad traveled a lot for work, I was largely my mom's shadow. I didn't mind at all, because in those days, packs of cards were pretty much everywhere. There were few places we would go that didn't either have cards, or have cards nearby, and mom was always willing to buy me a pack or two on just about any trip. Places like Toys R Us had the racks. The grocery store had cellos. And the liquor store, pharmacy, and everywhere else had wax.

On top of a small weekly allowance and the occasional odd job, I also fished through car seat cushions and the sofa for any change that might fall. And I recycled cans and bottles. This was of course before they were picked up each week. I needed my mom to drive me for the bottles (16oz Coke bottles for those that remember the Joe Greene commercial), but with the cans I'd get 2 Glad bags full and ride my bike to the local recyclery, which was about a mile away, and resided in the parking lot of the grocery store, liquor store, pharmacy, and pizza joint (video games and soda). Basically, heaven. Several years later, a card shop came too, making it utter nirvana.

But a mile from my house, in the other direction, was another slice of heaven...an ice cream shop. Aside from the ice cream, he had a roughly 8x10 foot wall, with custom shelves, at a 45 degree angle, that housed wax boxes of all sports and non-sports, year round, with previous years as well. I spent a fair amount of time there too. This is where I got my Star Wars/Empire cards, Basketball cards (as I recall most of the retail was BB and FB), Wacky Packs, 81 Topps Scratch Offs, 81 Fleer Stickers, and my latest acquisition...these Pacific Legends cards from 80-83.

What was special about these was that they were really the only way for us to get pack pulled legends, like Mantle, Mays, Clemente, etc. They may not have much value today, but the memories they spur, and the trade value they had back in the day, was worth every penny. I stumbled on to these and just couldn't resist pulling the trigger.

Another happy addition to the collection.
  • Options
    I remember pacific legends cards, as well as those green bordered ones put out by another company in the late 80s. Ah, nostalgia. Great post Jim!
  • Options
    Sweet post Jim. Love the backstory. Thanks for sharing that. You are a little older than me so I have never seen the set you are talking about, but I definitely remember (and still have somewhere in my parents' house) the 1989 Pacific Legends set (the one with the gray borders). That set was my first exposure to players from the 50's, 60's and 70's. I remember ripping a box or two of that and reading the backs of all the cards to learn about those players. Around the same time my parents got cable TV and I was able to watch ESPN for the first time. I remember watching the old Home Run Derby reruns on ESPN and dreaming of owning some of the vintage cards of these players. It seemed like a pipe dream then, but I had that Pacific Legends set to hold me over and keep me dreaming. I may have to pick up a box of 1989 too!
    Steve
  • Options
    BliggityBliggity Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    Been a good month for me so far, although I've already blown through my budget (and then some...) A couple of the t209s are incredibly tough.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple new golfers, chipping away at the Hagen registry and hoping to start a Cotton one soon...

imageimage
  • Options
    Both of you, I love all the pre-war stuff! My faves are the T206 Jennings and the Chief Bender pin.

Edit to add: nice golf stuff too Kyle!
  • Options
    Another Jackie down. A low-grade lovely that I'm so fond of. Just need the 54 to complete my Topps Basic run...all 5 cards...and that one's en route, due to arrive early next week.

• Options
    So many great items this month. Mantles & Aarons & Robinsons & Roses & Tobacco cards, Gretzky & even the signing of the declaration of independence, plus golfers, WOW! By the way, you know the Declaration of Independence card is a fake! Well, not a fake card but a fake image. Not that I was there, although I did hear that some of you were there, but the document was not signed by all at one time, but over the course of days that it took for all the signees to come in from their prospective colonies. All well, my 2nd contribution for the month is this Santo rookie that I was very happy to obtain:

[URL=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/mankin043/media/1961santo_zps5vyvefv9.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    It's only at the halfway point and there have been some unbelievable cards. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Finally got myself a Jordan RC courtesy of the BST.

">Text
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    haven't asked yet, but doubt psa will authenticate simply as "a", but still a cool and different look for the 75 series...

'75 ryan proof / blackless:

and:

• Options
    Bob - Really cool Ryan.
    Mintacular - Nice Grab on the Jordan. I considered it too.

Great Santo. Sweet Mick(s). Gretzky. The T's, the Turkey, the Hagen. I've avoided pre-war thus far, but it's hard when they have such visual appeal and history that I find it difficult not to be more and more enamored with them.

So many more worth mentioning, and this continues to be among my favorite threads each month.

Since I've been struggling to find the right final pieces to my ABCs (Aaron, Banks, Clemente), this month has been mostly about Jackie. My latest addition completes my Topps Jackie run.

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    The latest addition to my Topps rookie cup catchers autos:

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Great additions guys. The '69 and '70 Bench cards are a couple of my favorite poses. Cool Superman card too. I have pondered going after a '40's (or is it a 30's?, can't recall off hand) Superman card.

Mail day today for me. '53's are truly works of art.

• Options
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That is a stunner '53 Mays. Congrats!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Picked up this lot of Japanese Menko cards because I really loved the look. When they arrived I discovered it was only four cards short of the set so a couple of emails to Rob Fitts has the final four on the way (including a Sadaharu Oh RC).

Here is a scan of the Sadaharu Oh that will be added shortly:

imageimage

Also picked up a pair of Japanese HOFers from the same seller because I love oddball and type cards. I might go ahead and try to assemble one card of all Japanese HOF members as it seems quite more affordable than some of the Cuban issues I have been chasing.

1949 Black and White Bromide - Fumio Fujimura - Held the PBL single season hits record for almost 50 years until someone named Ichiro came along:

1949 JK 10 Karuta Michinori Tsubouchi - 1st to 1,000 hits in NBL.

• Options
    Originally posted by: sbfinley
    Picked up this lot of Japanese Menko cards because I really loved the look. When they arrived I discovered it was only four cards short of the set so a couple of emails to Rob Fitts has the final four on the way (including a Sadaharu Oh RC).

Those are incredible! When were they issued?

• Options
  • Options
    Picked these up for 30 bucks. two extremely difficult cards to find in top condition. I was fortunate the surfaces were squeaky cleanimage

It never leaves you...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: sbfinley

Picked up this lot of Japanese Menko cards because I really loved the look. When they arrived I discovered it was only four cards short of the set so a couple of emails to Rob Fitts has the final four on the way (including a Sadaharu Oh RC)[/IMG]

nice cards! I actually just picked up a few of oh's cards as well...

there are some very cool cards out there w/ all sorts of graphics in the back ground.

love them!

• Options
    Those Japanese cards are awesome! They remind me somewhat of America's Diamond Stars from the 1930s. Great post!
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    sbfinley...those are amazing cards that i didnt know existed...perhaps you should start its own thread so they aren't lost in here? they def deserve their own thread..i bet a lot of members aren't looking here and would want to see ...and maybe add on if they have some....thnaks for sharing
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    sbfinley...those are amazing cards that i didnt know existed...perhaps you should start its own thread so they aren't lost in here? they def deserve their own thread..i bet a lot of members aren't looking here and would want to see ...and maybe add on if they have some....thnaks for sharing

When Oh and the last three arrive I'll probably sub them all to SGC or PSA. When slabbed I'll start a thread for them. Thanks!
  • Options
    not necessarily a whale, but i have been looking for one of these for quite sometime...

1981 rawlings nolan ryan tag

• Options
    Originally posted by: yankeesman
    Wow! That is a stunner '53 Mays. Congrats!

Thank You! image

• Options
    Nice pick-ups everyone! After close to 10 years of searching and networking, I finally landed my Sandberg PC white whale from the 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold set. Those that collect players featured in that set can appreciate how challenging it is to land that card.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome on the Sandbergs
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rexvos

Awesome on the Sandbergs

Yep..nice!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: RynoandBo
    Nice pick-ups everyone! After close to 10 years of searching and networking, I finally landed my Sandberg PC white whale from the 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold set. Those that collect players featured in that set can appreciate how challenging it is to land that card.

Well done image I'm still looking for a Larkin from that one (at the right price).

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few more 1971 pick ups...