Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I hit an estate sale today... bought two grab bags of Lincolns

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought 2 bags of 30 lincolns - for $3 each. The guy had an interesting assortment of collector coins. The house was packed full of antique "junque" - Normaly I do not find coins at estate sales, most the time I learn that the family either divided the collection or sold them to a local shop before the sale. ANyway, I don't collect lincolns at all but at a glance through the sandwich bags, I saw quite a few red & brown uncs. There's a nice selection of 20's & 30's also. Here's a few I wanted to share...

1956 D - Grease filled die?

1926-S Looks AU to me

1958 D - Tough to capture just how pretty the reverse is on this sucker.... you get the idea though.

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of fun for $6.

I totally know what you mean about "junque" ... it can be depressing at times.
  • Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find...looks like a lot of fun on a fall afternoon...

CC
    Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jackpot! Fun time!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite a "YOU SUCK!" moment, but close!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure the 56-D is grease filled. May be a weak strike or die trial.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice catch.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MWallace

I'm not familiar with die trial. It appears to have been well circulated, yes?
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have brought up the subject at many estates and yard sales. There's always the talk but seldom has anything come to light.

Nice cache of Lincolns!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    >>I'm not familiar with die trial. It appears to have been well circulated, yes?>>

Not really, Meltdown.....There is no way the reverse wears that unevenly

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    MWallace may be correct, I would explore it

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die setup piece.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's 6 bucks worth of fun for sure
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice acquisition for the price and lots to go through which may make a Lincoln collector out of you.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did well. I agree that looks like a die trial piece.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice find!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That can be fun... I have not found any coins at estate sales in the area.... lots of

junk.... well picked over junk... I imagine the coins went to relatives who will go to a

coin shop (somewhere, none in this area) or an antique shop thinking they have a

fortune - only to be told they are generic Morgans and IHC's... they will call them liars

and move on, eventually to be convinced the world is out to cheat them.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Die setup piece.

Agree.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip

Die setup piece.

Agree.

Be careful about the terminology; there is no way to prove that it was struck while setting up the dies for striking. Low pressure strike or weak strike may be most appropriate.

This is a very cool piece. This type of error isn't found on wheats that often and it's worth multiples of the acquisition cost. Congrats.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Swampboy
    That's 6 bucks worth of fun for sure

+1

• Options
    For the 56-D I would start a new thread for it and get Fred to chime in as I don't think it is a grease filled die. It could be an adjustment strike, weak strike or? I would love to have found that, very cool.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking to turn around and make a quick 100% profit on your investment? I'll give you $6 a bag, AND let you keep the 56-D! ;-)

- - Dave
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat finds
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Christos
    For the 56-D I would start a new thread for it and get Fred to chime in as I don't think it is a grease filled die. It could be an adjustment strike, weak strike or? I would love to have found that, very cool.

No need for a new thread, a couple of experts already chimed in on this one. image Your best bet is to weigh that coin, if it comes in dramatically underweight then the weakness was caused by wear. I think you will find it is very close to the standard 3 grams and that the weakness is due to a very weak strike.

Calling a coin like that a "die trial" is a bit misleading as it could have easily been struck at the very end of a run as the pressure was ramping down. It could also be the result of dies set up with improper spacing. or some other equipment impingement or malfunction that prevented the dies from coming a close together as needed. The nice thing is, no matter how it happened, it's a cool coin.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I love the worn out one, looks good and neat. Congrats.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Coins at estate sales and auctions go for ridiculous amounts, in my experience. You sure got $6 worth of fun!
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun stuff. The grease-filled or die adjustment error coin is very cool and should be worth multiples of price of the total lot all by itself, I would think?

My first thought was, "cool lowball coin", but no, I agree with savoyspecial- there's no way it could have worn unevenly like that. That's likely an error coin of some sort. It might have seen a little bit of circulation, but wear alone wouldn't account for all that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the comments and thoughts on that 56. I knew it was neat when I first glanced at it but had no idea it was more than just mildly interesting. I'll weigh it tonight when I get home from work and see what it comes in at.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip

Die setup piece.

Agree.

Double agree. Die setup piece. Uncirculated.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like ya did real good there, congrats
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I agree

it's a die adjustment or die set-up piece.

Nice example of the type, and as mentioned,

a bit scarcer on Wheat's......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the low-pressure strike 56-D. It really shows how the design of the opposite die plays a critical part in how a coin is struck up.
  • Options
    I love reading the new comments in this thread. I did not expect to get such an education posting this off hand estate sale find...

Thanks again for all the replies, private message info and overall helping to keep my interests in the hobby alive.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I just wasted some time doing a transparent with the 1956D than remembered that I have no way to upload it here and post the picture. But it is interesting to view how Lincoln sits just inside of the reverse side letters.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Very nice bunch of Lincolns you found there.

I also always watch for the at all types of sale.
    Bob

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I agree the Lincoln looks like a die adjustment strike, which is a more desirable error than a grease-filled die.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file