Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC Appearance Review

Has anyone ever had a favorable outcome?

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's asking about a competitor's service. That's hardly a sales pitch.

To answer the question, I've never submitted a coin for such a review (here or there).
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once challenged NGC to an appearance review for a 1878 8TF Binion Hoard dollar that they had designated MS-64 DMPL. I graded it MS-63 PL. I won. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Apologies for mentioning ***. Thank you for the comments
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 35S walker they graded MS64, purchased at auction from David Lawrence a long time ago....I should have returned it, and got increasingly unhappy with it as time went on.
    I sent it in for a review, they cracked it, dipped or otherwise 'conserved' it, and put it in a new
    64 holder holder. So it became a whiter version of low end 63 walker, but still in a 64 holder image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

AppleTree: Welcome to the Forum!

I like the author avatar that you've chosen! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: appletree

Never at NGC. Several times at PCGS.

Not sure what that means.

Lance.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerguy21D

I have a 35S walker they graded MS64, purchased at auction from David Lawrence a long time ago....I should have returned it, and got increasingly unhappy with it as time went on.

I sent it in for a review, they cracked it, dipped or otherwise 'conserved' it, and put it in a new

64 holder holder. So it became a whiter version of low end 63 walker, but still in a 64 holder image

I had the same thing happen with a 1935 Buff. Had great color when it was sent in. Had no color whatsoever when I got it back.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Appletree.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums as well image
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Appletree are you talking about review of a coin you feel is overgraded, or review of a coin you feel is undergraded or deserving of a star?
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Originally posted by: keyman64
    Probably best to ask on the NGC US Coin Forum since this is the PCGS US Coin Forum.
    Since you are new, it is against the rules here to promote other businesses, especially a competitor.
    Link to Rules

Why do we have a need to talk about NGC on PCGS forum? I like them but I wish to collect coins in PCGS slabs and lets keep it that way.

I agree with KEYMAN because he makes sense of the subject.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: georgiacop50

Appletree are you talking about review of a coin you feel is overgraded, or review of a coin you feel is undergraded or deserving of a star?

NGC's Appearance Review service is only for NGC-graded coins believed to be overgraded or not genuine. As OP knew the exact term I assume he knows what it's for.

Lance.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Never at NGC. Several times at PCGS.

Not sure what that means.
    Lance.

What all did you submit? I remember the AU58 Large Cent with a ding (and agreed with your assessment), but am curious about the others.
  • Options
    The coin is a 1929 $2.5 Indian, MS61. The reverse of the coin has obvious damaged. The TES in STATES is eligible; the letters are gouged, as if someone attempted to remove the coin from a slab incorrectly. Further, the coin was cleaned and a reside remains on portions of the obverse and reverse. I would post an image, but the coin is out for review.

The coin was purchased on an online auction. Not eBay, one of the other major auction houses. The auction images showed what looked like scratches on the slab.

Thank you to the kind folk with welcomes.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious.. why would someone want one of their coins to be downgraded? If you feel it is over graded, just sell it, and buy a different one. Also, who cares if NGC is mentioned. I have coins graded by both, and like both.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jwitten
    Just curious.. why would someone want one of their coins to be downgraded? If you feel it is over graded, just sell it, and buy a different one. Also, who cares if NGC is mentioned. I have coins graded by both, and like both.

If your coin is downgraded, the grading company is supposed to reimburse you the market value difference.....and it takes one more overgraded coin out of the market, rather than let it keep circulating. It's great in theory of course; but obviously the companies are reluctant to do this.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If you feel it is over graded, just sell it, and buy a different one." Appletree knows the coin is damaged and it appears to me he is an ethical person. I would do the same thing, because I would not want to pass on a damaged coin to somebody else.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options

The coin is a 1929 $2.5 Indian, MS61. The reverse of the coin has obvious damaged. The TES in STATES is eligible; the letters are gouged, as if someone attempted to remove the coin from a slab incorrectly. Further, the coin was cleaned and a reside remains on portions of the obverse and reverse. I would post an image, but the coin is out for review.

The coin was purchased on an online auction. Not eBay, one of the other major auction houses. The auction images showed what looked like scratches on the slab.

Thank you to the kind folk with welcomes.

It would be helpful to see the auction images. Can you link the auction?

What are you hoping NGC will say? Downgrading it to a 60 will get you about $15. The spread between this coin at 60 and 62 is roughly $20. So you must be hoping NGC will bodybag it and refund its wholesale value. Maybe $300?

NGC may say it accounted for the coin's condition in its grade. MS61's can be pretty rough. Or the flaws are "as minted"...strike-throughs, planchet defects, etc.

Lance.
  • Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Appletree!

Haven't sent coins for review, although I've seen some eyebrow raising over-grading over the years

"Just because you were born on 3rd base doesn't mean you hit a triple"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file