Home Metal Detecting

Beach/water finds

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Been an awfully long time since I’ve posted any finds. I haven’t gotten out much, but have at least managed some beach and water detecting – so here goes..

Most of these are from a spot I’ve been to countless times, so the majority of finds are recent coins dropped in the past year or so.

However, it has potential for older underwater finds, and that’s the reason that keeps it pulling me in. It seems like every time I decide I’m done with the place for good, I find something a bit more interesting that keeps me coming back a couple more times.

Here’s what I have:

-EUR 20.91 in Euro coins (around $23)

-A bunch of older Finnish coins, including one that’s 35% silver

-A couple of foreign coins, e.g. UK, Thailand, China

-Small sterling silver bracelet. I got countless pieces of costume jewelry… I really think I deserve a gold ring by now! Hmph.

Pic of finds:

The most interesting finds are two Chinese cash coins. Here they are:

By the way, it's dark outside almost all day this time of year, and it was almost pitch black when I was detecting - with just a bit of moonlight helping me keep my bearings. I thought these were washers when I first found them, and didn't positively identify them as a coins until I got home... This once again validates a rule I have not to throw anything away until I've absolutely confirmed it as trash. I've had some coins emerge from really bizarre looking lumps of crusty metal over the years

With kind help from the world coin forum, they’ve been identified as:

-Yong Zheng emperor, 1723 to 1736

-Dao Guang emperor, 1821 to 1851

One of them is in pretty rough shape. The other one is a bit better. Fortunately, the older one is the one that’s in better shape. Here it is:

It looks like this place did it again: I found the cash coins just a few feet apart, so now I’ll have to go back again to see if there’s anything more in that spot…..
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds... what a super spot..... night time searching - that is interesting in itself,

and poses other issues. Not much competition though, I would think. Cheers, RickO
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Night time searching is indeed great fun (although for practical purposes, anything except 10 am - 4 pm is night time this time of year)

I don't use a headlamp (although I have one) or anything of the sort, so it's basically detecting by feel. I actually enjoy this: you get to find everything twice; first you dig it up, and then you get to sort through it again later to find out exactly what you got image
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Whoops, sorry Zot! Forgot to reply here.

Wow, night time without any light? That's pretty hardcore! Glad to see you're still getting out and finding some goodies. What detector have you been using on the beach?

Even if you don't have many new finds, we'd love a few "memory" threads showing some of your finds of the past. If you get bored, we'd love to some of that sweet gold you have in your bottom signature pic.

The night time detecting thing is made quite easy by this being a beach, so there's no tricky terrain to be aware of.. image

When I first started water detecting, I found recovering the targets to be a hassle as I couldn't quite see where the coil was, and kept missing with my scoop as a result. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty straightforward though, and night time detecting isn't much different from that.

I've been using a White's PI Pro on the beach. It's the only waterproof machine I have, and gives decent depth as well. Of course it doesn't discriminate, so I end up with plenty of trash.

I might just put up some memory threads with old finds. Thanks for your interest and suggestion!

There's still some time left in the detecting season, and I really need to get to a few of my old search areas with the GPX. I've absolutely hammered them with a White's MXT and more recently with a Minelab explorer, but am confident that there's plenty of deep silver that I've missed.. Not too much trash either (as I've dug most of it up myself already!)
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL...clearing the trash is one of the things we do... and hope another MD'r

does not come by to reap the deep goodies... Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! You're lucky with those Euro coins. They add up a lot quicker than the change dropped here, since a quarter is the biggest denomination that has circulated here in the USA for the last few decades.

Cool finds on the Chinese coins. I know they're common and not worth much, but boy, what a tale they could tell, eh?

I think I told you I found a 1965 Finnish 1-pennia coin in a park here and thought of you.

Posey ring! Posey ring! I wanna see you find another gold posey ring! I'm sure you do too!

Here's a page for inspiration. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    PS- what is the first coin on the third row down at the left of the main picture?

And the last coin on the third row down, far right- beneath what looks like a British 50p?

Those look intriguing but I can't make 'em out.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    PS- what is the first coin on the third row down at the left of the main picture?

That's a Finnish 1960's 1 Markka, 35% silver.

And the last coin on the third row down, far right- beneath what looks like a British 50p?

That one would be a British 5p (with the new design). Looks like I found it almost before it hit the ground. The one above it is indeed a British 50p
    Ah. The 5p threw me. Those new ones are weird looking, but kind of cool. I got a couple in change over there.

Chanting resumes:

Posey ring! ... Posey ring! ... Posey ring!

imageimageimage

posey schmozey...!

It's much more essential that we see some freshly dug proof bust dollars right now! Please post at your earliest convenience! Preferably more than 5 pieces. Thank you!!

imageimage

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zot
    posey schmozey...!

It's much more essential that we see some freshly dug proof bust dollars right now! Please post at your earliest convenience! Preferably more than 5 pieces. Thank you!!

imageimage

nah, I have to finish polishing my 1804
    Frank

BHNC #203

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice little cache there.