Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Safety at coin shops?

ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over the last few months there have been a few violent crimes posted on this forum that have occurred at coin and/or bullion shops. Murders, robberies, assaults and other crimes. Most recently a shop in Boston was robbed mid-morning in a bustling area and both employees working were assaulted with stun guns and tied up.

Do you feel comfortable at the stores you visit or the store you own/work at? What sort of preventative measures do you(as a customer), your dealer or your coin store take? Do you carry a gun, knife or other weapon into store to protect yourself? Have you ever been involved in an incident like the one I linked above?

I know that these issues are not new and will never stop happening, however I seem to think that the crimes taking place right now tend to be more violent than what has happened 5/10/20 years ago. I wanted to see what others see, feel and have experienced.

Comments

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...always have a weapon on me. Always aware of who comes in the door while I'm there...

CC
    Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bring my fists. Or as they're known: Law and Order.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    People have been stealing since the first time somebody got hungry.

If you observe people and what they do, you'll come to the conclusion that about 75% of them are really stupid.

I don't care if the 25% carry weapons, after they have passed a gun safety course, but it's the other 75% we have to worry about.

Just last week a guy shot at a car because he got mad after being cut off. His bullet hit a 4-year-old girl in the head killing her.

Those are the idiots who need their guns taken away.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Just last week a guy shot at a car because he got mad after being cut off. His bullet hit a 4-year-old girl in the head killing her.

Those are the idiots who need their guns taken away.

Or should never have gotten one in the first place.

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CCDollar
    Yep...always have a weapon on me. Always aware of who comes in the door while I'm there...

CC

+1

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I frisk other customers as they come through the door.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Barberian

I frisk other customers as they come through the door.

Now that's funny!

Mark

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always carry.... unless one has the gift of foresight, the emergency could occur at

any time..... Be constantly aware of your surroundings, avoid areas of nuisance, and

stay out of gun free zones...... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do not open carry in the store because we don't want our customers to feel uneasy...but weapons can be readily and quickly accessed if need be. All here are weapons trained and/or ex military and are cognizant of weapon safety protocol.

It is unfortunate that whenever this subject is raised, some invariably exhibit a rather flippant attitude about it. This is a real concern for anyone in this business and in light of recent tragic events one would think the issue would be taken more seriously. To those folks-I earnestly hope you are not a victim someday.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SeattleSlammer
    I bring my fists. Or as they're known: Law and Order.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insightful responses RickO and Telephoto1- I agree that this is a serious topic looking for serious replies and insight. Hopefully more people will chime in with useful info...
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After being robbed several years back at the store, I opened carried in my shop, as well as the other security guy I had with me at all times. We dealt with a lot of thugs coming in off the street with jewelry / coins, etc.

After closing , I had found out that some people, mostly little old ladies and older generation refuse to patron the store because of the guns being openly carried and or fear of being assaulted in an around the area.

I work from an office in a 2 story bldg now that has only access thru an elevator, and its much safer, but you still have to be vigilant. I carry , but not openly. I keep it close by in case, and yes I pre- judge people before they come in , and some times I have it real close , like just under my bag / desk.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file