Home U.S. Coin Forum

A new piece for my collection. Ya wanna see?

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
I hope the images load. I've wanted one of these for many years, the "Thin" planchet. This one caught my eye so I pulled the trigger. I'm so happy with this piece my head might explode image At any rate, I find this piece VERY attractive for the grade assigned and for the thin planchet variety it appears to be very well struck. Great, deep luster associated with this beauty and yes I love the design.
Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome.
Happy hunting, Joe

NORSE AMERICAN MEDAL 009
screen grab

NORSE AMERICAN MEDAL 007
image hosting site no sign up

NORSE SLAB 001
host images

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice but I see no buffalo anywhere?

Yet as history goes vikings landed to hunt bison with swords, daggers, and shields...

That's why you bought it for your collection right? imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Norse medals are always cool, congrats.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i love it

i too look forward to having one of these in my collection too as it's such a sweet design

sweet skin on this one

huge congrats and thanks for sharing it's beauty
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Yet as history goes vikings landed to hunt bison with swords, daggers, and shields and that's why you bought it for your collection...

Right? imageimage

How the hell did you know that?image

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here I thought I'd open this post so see another awesome buffalo. I'm pleasantly surprised to see another coin design I'm fond of. Very nice.

JH
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya wanna see?

Nope. image

Just kidding. Very nice. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Originally posted by: crazyhounddog

Yet as history goes vikings landed to hunt bison with swords, daggers, and shields and that's why you bought it for your collection...

Right? imageimage

How the hell did you know that?image

Well I was hoping for that...

As otherwise it might have been the attraction to man boobs? image

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, congrats! Looks like it has great luster. I like it! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Seriously... If you look at the N & O in Norse and C in American on the obverse you'll see trace evidence of a slight shift between strikes. There's other out these with a far greater shift where the whole viking is doubled.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin...it certainly would make me happy.
  • TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    On my want list.
  • CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice...I learn something new here everyday..

CC
    Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
    Seriously... If you look at the N & O in Norse and C in American on the obverse you'll see trace evidence of a slight shift between strikes. There's other out these with a far greater shift where the whole viking is doubled.

As otherwise it might have been the attraction to man boobs?

image The man boob thing never accord to me.
    Now that you mention it they are something, eh? image

I did notice the slight sift but was not sure until you pointed it out. Yes, I am, and have been in love with this design and now like Las Vegas Ted pointed out the beautiful, original skin this piece displays. Yep.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking example for sure, congrats!

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good lookin' luster on that Baby!
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a serious set of man boobs. The coin ain't bad either!
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's such an interesting medal and it came so close to being a coin. I think your example is very, very nice. Great luster and great color. Are you planning to also acquire a thick piece?
    Mark

• Nice, I like it.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, Joe. I myself always wanted one of these, but never did get one.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    probably the full horns were the attraction point with joe here

all this talk of man boobs kinda overshadow the fashion of that shield there image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Originally posted by: Mark
    It's such an interesting medal and it came so close to being a coin. I think your example is very, very nice. Great luster and great color. Are you planning to also acquire a thick piece?

Yes, now that I have the thin one I gotta go for the thick one. It's kinda weird, ya really don't see many of these at the coin shows. At least not at the ones I attend because I look for em.
    Thanks

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very attractive, I love that design.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love the Viking theme. Very COOL!! Also, I like that it is certified.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always thought it was a very interesting piece. I've had more than my share of comments about my...uh..... "icons." But if it were a competition, that guy/gal wins, hands-down. I think that Viking/Vikingette was also an ex-Olympian, not sure but maybe. And what's the deal with that whatever it is that's hanging down below the hilt on her/his knife?
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. Congrats on the pickup.

Mike
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still need one for my commem set. Yours is very nice. Congrats.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the thin variety which is a bit scarcer. The easy way to remember this is the less silver you get, the more it costs.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I like it much.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was totally expecting a super eye appealing buffalo but this is a wonderful treat! Love it!
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, a great pickup by anyones standard. The Norse medal. thick or thin, will always be special. The Norse medal has always been on my bucket list and you acquired a great piece for you colllection..

OINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file