Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭
    They must have minted a boatload of those because its the only Wide AM I ever found in pocket change. It would be cool to find out how many were actually minted. I'd guess 250k+.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for clarification - it's not off-center;

it's a minor mis-aligned (obverse) die.

I've had a few off center Wide AM's,

but this is the first minor MAD I've seen.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FredWeinberg
    Just for clarification - it's not off-center;
    it's a minor mis-aligned (obverse) die.

I've had a few off center Wide AM's,
    but this is the first minor MAD I've seen.

I thought it was pretty cool too ( MAD ) .
    Thanks for the correction Fred ...
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That IS cool.

A fun variety in its own right.

I like it because it's a relative rarity, that still can be found in circulation, and that is spotable just looking at it, without magnification.

The PCGS pops for the 1992 Close AM is only 5, and the 1992-D is only about 15 (Ken Potter thinks these may have been test pieces, since so few of them have been found).

The PCGS pops for the Wide AMs are 2468 for the "common" 2000 Wide AM, 459 for the scarcer 1998 Wide AM (and only 13 of them in MS67Rd), and only 249 for the 1999 Wide AM (with only 8 in MS67Rd).

I still have fun looking for them in pocket change.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Variety is what keeps me searching.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've cherrypicked 3 off-center 2000 wide AM cents. I've never seen one with a mis-aligned obverse die. Nice find!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: cmerlo1
    I've cherrypicked 3 off-center 2000 wide AM cents. I've never seen one with a mis-aligned obverse die. Nice find!

Won it on ebay for 8 bucks ...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...WAM's can still be found in change.... I put those I notice up for review....

and not all are really WAM's....image just looked that way when I saw them in change.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Yep...WAM's can still be found in change.... I put those I notice up for review....
    and not all are really WAM's....image just looked that way when I saw them in change.
    Cheers, RickO

The flared " G " is the dead give away ....
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! I love these Wide A.M. varieties. Esp. the 1999. The rarest of the three. These are so underrated. I once found the '99 on the ground and sent it in across the street. It came back a 64RB. I was very pleased to say the least. I regret selling at a show for $200. Not because of the price but the fact that it was the FIRST Wide A.M. graded by NGC(back in 2000). Oh well, I wish I can find it and buy it back.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Yep at least not that old. Just wanted to see more post on these and to state that off center needs to be both sides of the coin. I think I am right on that.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as an aside … image (yours truly submitted about 6% of all the 2000 WAMs graded at PCGS with the greater percentage in MS 64 ).

Ironically, I still have a couple boxes of those. image
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these varieties! Very fun and luring to search and hunt down. Esp. if the "key" one is found, the 1999. Keep hunting!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    OK but not for me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: winky
    OK but not for me.

Is this better [URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/stash38/media/A035 - 20130916_092820 2_zpsmm9nnpgw.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find. I continue to pluck these from bank boxes, about 4 or 5 a year.

Still no '99, but not for lack of effort!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I have several 2000 and a single 1999. I also have a few broadstruck 2000 and one 1998.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file