Home Precious Metals
Options

Mr Rebates no longer available on ebay coins and paper money?

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
just noticed that Mr Rebates has, in bold print, a restriction on 1% rebates that now excludes coins and paper money from eligible categories. That sucks

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably my fault. Thousands in rebates since signing up in 2010. Twas good while it lasted.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Barndog
    just noticed that Mr Rebates has, in bold print, a restriction on 1% rebates that now excludes coins and paper money from eligible categories. That sucks

Same holds true with: ebates.com

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

So they had basically one job , to track all your purchases , and sell the data to the highest bidder , and they don't want to do that any more ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

So they had basically one job , to track all your purchases , and sell the data to the highest bidder , and they don't want to do that any more ?

Spoken like a true conspiracy advocate. But as the sayings go..I'm laughing all the way to the bank and money talks bs walks, in the tune of approx $500 this year alone, in cash refunds from using ebates with numerous merchants with only a slight increase in SPAM mail. image

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OPA
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

Spoken like a true conspiracy advocate. But as the sayings go..I'm laughing all the way to the bank and money talks bs walks, in the tune of approx $500 this year alone, in cash refunds from using ebates with numerous merchants with only a slight increase in SPAM mail. image

Valuing my privacy makes me a conspiracy advocate?

Pay an extra 3% to use a credit card then save 1% ?

I'll pay cash and save that 2% and keep my privacy.

• Options
    Originally posted by: OnlyGoldIsMoney
    Any effect on bullion purchases?

bullion is a subcategory of coins and currency. Yes, it affects bullion purchases unless they are listed in an eligible category other than coins and currency.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    I always wondered how people actually save when buying, much like catching ones shadow... And yes that may be funny, I think the sellers are laughing...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An October 24th purchase of a Gold Maple Leaf in the Coins & Paperwork category produced the usual 1% rebate.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a bummer to hear. it never fails
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OnlyGoldIsMoney
    An October 24th purchase of a Gold Maple Leaf in the Coins & Paperwork category produced the usual 1% rebate.

Read the NEW restrictions.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rawteam1

I always wondered how people actually save when buying, much like catching ones shadow... And yes that may be funny, I think the sellers are laughing...

You don't save money by buying. You save money by spending less or none of it. The wise buyer finds ways to spend less. Of two people buying those 1 ounce gold specials sometimes posted here, the one using MrRebates will ultimately spend less. The price will be the same to both buyers.

Of course things like one ounce gold eagles have no universal uniform set price so that timing of your purchase is important. Quite often it is hard to beat the specials offered by APMEX.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    Mainstreetshares.com (formerly Big Crumbs) only has "Bullion" excluded in their description of eBay. I personally don't know though if it will work.
  • Options
    I always wondered how people actually save when buying. . .

By paying less than the dummies. Appears the dummies don't know this.

• Options
    Did eBay eat the cost of the rebate/s or did they expect the sellers/consignors to?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN
    Did eBay eat the cost of the rebate/s or did they expect the sellers/consignors to?

ebay. Seller never knows what the buyer earns. Ultimately all ebay costs are paid by those paying fees to them.

• Options
    Originally posted by: derryb

ebay. Seller never knows what the buyer earns. Ultimately all ebay costs are paid by those paying fees to them.

eBay won't reduce their FVFs regardless.

• Options

yea i think you may finally be right on something, a 1% discount on buys for the last 3 1/2 years has put alot of dummies underwater...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

yea i think you may finally be right on something, a 1% discount on buys for the last 3 1/2 years has put alot of dummies underwater...

only dummies settle for 1%. You shoulda been taking advantage of the 8 & 10% discounts and reselling at high premiums like the non-dummies were doing.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like when your wife comes home with shopping bags from the outlets and says she "saved hundreds of dollars!"

uh huh image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Originally posted by: Baley

Like when your wife comes home with shopping bags from the outlets and says she "saved hundreds of dollars!"

uh huh image

In the inimitable words of the Macho Man, Oh YEAAAAAHHHHHHHH !!!...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

only dummies settle for 1%. You shoulda been taking advantage of the 8 & 10% discounts and reselling at high premiums like the non-dummies were doing.

Lol, you must be Al Sharpton's twin brother...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

uh huh image

lol...it amazes me thhat people think paying top dollar just to get a 3% cashback saves them $500/year.

What about this idea, shops for better deals rather than top dollar just to get $500 back over a year. In the longer run, you save more that way than paying with a CC just to get the transaction fee of that purchase back.

Now someone will say the seller has to eat that fee. Really? You dont think the seller factors that in already in their pricing, therefore ultimately passing it on to the buyer?

Just, pay, cash smartly as i've said from day 1 and you're better in the long run. AND your purchases don't get tracked, therefore, no spam.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tested MrRebates since the policy change?

Just asking because whenever I have used MrRebates, they have ALWAYS stated does not apply for bullion category. But, whenever I used it, I still got the 1%. But perhaps I am confusing this with some other program...

Anyways, just sayin perhaps the 1% may still come through?
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Originally posted by: tincup
    Has anyone tested MrRebates since the policy change?

Just asking because whenever I have used MrRebates, they have ALWAYS stated does not apply for bullion category. But, whenever I used it, I still got the 1%. But perhaps I am confusing this with some other program...

Anyways, just sayin perhaps the 1% may still come through?

Now excludes entire coin and currency category, not just bullion

• Options
    I understand.

For clarification, previously, when I would purchase from the BULLION category, I still got 1% back from MrRebates, even though I thought they stated the bullion category was not applicable.

Just wondering if the similar thing will happen when purchases are made in the Coins and Currency category. Probably not.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

uh huh image

lol...it amazes me thhat people think paying top dollar just to get a 3% cashback saves them $500/year.

What about this idea, shops for better deals rather than top dollar just to get $500 back over a year. In the longer run, you save more that way than paying with a CC just to get the transaction fee of that purchase back.

Now someone will say the seller has to eat that fee. Really? You dont think the seller factors that in already in their pricing, therefore ultimately passing it on to the buyer?

Just, pay, cash smartly as i've said from day 1 and you're better in the long run. AND your purchases don't get tracked, therefore, no spam.

Where was it said that people were paying top dollar? Many of the specials posted here were good deals. $20 over spot for a 1 ounce AGE is a good deal. If you bought on eBay, and paid with a CC you got a 1% rebate from MrRebates AND 1% or more cash back from your CC company. That means you paid less than spot plus you had the benefit of secure shipping.

• Options
    I understand.

For clarification, previously, when I would purchase from the BULLION category, I still got 1% back from MrRebates, even though I thought they stated the bullion category was not applicable.

Just wondering if the similar thing will happen when purchases are made in the Coins and Currency category. Probably not.

Are you sure you weren't purchasing bullion that the seller listed in a non-bullion coin category? My experience is that this was the only way to get ebay bucks on a bullion item.

• Options
    derryb, I just did a check to make sure. And... I am correct. I HAVE been getting the 1% back on items listed in the bullion classification. Pretty consistently. Also, I have received 1% back on some gift cards, which is another category that MrRebates states are not eligible. Does not seem to work on ebay gift cards, but some others it did.

So... my suggestion is to still go through MrRebates. May work, or it may not. Doesn't hurt anything to try it. I suspect they have it better controlled now, so probably will not work.
    ----- kj
  • Options

I understand.

Are you sure you weren't purchasing bullion that the seller listed in a non-bullion coin category? My experience is that this was the only way to get ebay bucks on a bullion item.

I was getting MrRebates bucks back on bullion in the bullion category. Pist me off that I believed that little pop up thingy.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to buy something anyway, why not take advantage of any rebate / refund available? Paying with a cc gets me between 1-5% back, depending on the type of item purchased. I don't mind paying the 3% vig at a gas station when I get 5% back. Cheaper than cash.

Gas stations are the only place that charges me to use a cc, and with my current card, it is to my benefit to do so.

I have the equivalent of about 140 silver eagles or 2.25 oz of AGEs from cashback offers this year alone. Those are on no-fee cards, and the balance is paid off every month. With a payback like that, using cash sounds almost foolish.

• Options
    With a payback like that, using cash sounds almost foolish.

Not only sounds foolish but not financially "street smart"...for me, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth and if some one is willing to reduce my cost by 2-5%, I'll take the offer. The secret is: pif your cc balance monthly.
  • Options
    My recent purchases confirm that Mr. Rebates is no longer participating in ebay's coin and currency category.

• Options

My recent purchases confirm that Mr. Rebates is no longer participating in ebay's coin and currency category.

Same here too. If there's a silver lining to that chitcloud, it's that you can go back to using your favorite sniping program.
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    I use ebates.com and get 1% percent still on ebay under coins. Here is a link from my "refer" a friend spot if anyone wants to join. All you need is an email address to start. Useing them for over a year with no major issues or spam. They do email you when you make a purchase and the percentage is added to your account.

http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=M8equhw/ZMHoJaUEQhr2zw==&eeid=26471
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Booger9989
    I use ebates.com and get 1% percent still on ebay under coins. Here is a link from my "refer" a friend spot if anyone wants to join. All you need is an email address to start. Useing them for over a year with no major issues or spam. They do email you when you make a purchase and the percentage is added to your account.

http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=M8equhw/ZMHoJaUEQhr2zw==&eeid=26471

Suggest you check your account to see if you received a credit. From my experience, that is not the case if the item is listed in the coin or bullion category's

ebates elegible categories in ebay
  • Options

Same here too. If there's a silver lining to that chitcloud, it's that you can go back to using your favorite sniping program.

Yep... looks like the door is now closed, both for coins and for bullion. It was useful while it lasted!
    ----- kj