Home Metal Detecting

99 Silver coins

I don't dig that many silver coins each year. My best year was 2006 with 16. Several years I was totally skunked ('08 & '09).
Yesterday I dug a "41 Merc. (my first Merc in a year and a half). Today I dug a '41S merc. This brings my total for this year to 9 and 99 since I got back into detecting and started recording my finds.
October has been my best month by far with 29. Next best is May, 16. I've never dug silver in January or February and only 1 in December.
Some more stats.
44 Roseys
25 Mercs
20 Washington quarters
7 War Nickels
1 Walker Half
the other two were a Canadian dime and quarter.

Tomorrow starts the hunt for #100.image

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes on your hunt for #100. Hopefully it comes quick and before winter arrives.

You should turn it into a contest (no prize needed, but just for fun).

My guess is your 100th silver coin will be a 1953 (P) Roosevelt dime. Keep us posted!
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG on the 99. I will guess that #100 will be a 1963 Washington quarter
  • BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on #99 and May I wish you a Special #100 image

Every dig you just never know what's going to pop out !!
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on this. I've got a lifetime total of 88 U.S. silver coins and have serious doubts that I'll hit 100 this year. I got 4 my first year, 12 my second year, and 72 so far this year.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck on #100.....I hope you find a Morgan..... but I would say it is more

likely to be a 1961 quarter.... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hope # 100 is really the big one for ya. keep us posted on how ya make out image
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, all wrong.....another war nickel!

congrats!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you, Dock. Congratulations! image

Maybe nine is only an average daily outing for pcgs69 image , but nine in a year is a pretty good year by my admittedly fallen standards. image

I got zero this year and zero last, but of course I only went out once this year and not at all last year. In 2013 I think there were only two silver smiles for me, but they were hammered silver in England- one from circa 1300-1310 and the other circa 1641-1643.

99 is a magic, anticipatory number. Lucky, even. Ladymarcovan and I got married in 1999, and... so far so good! We're going on our 16th anniversary trip to the mountains this weekend. image

When I hit 100 silvers after my second start in detecting (I started keeping records around 1992 and think I hit 100 silvers in 1995) that second hundred seemed to come a lot faster.

'Course I actually got out and put the coil to the soil in those days- something I hardly ever do now. I'll need to remedy that a little if I can.

Good luck on that Lucky #100! I'm even jealous of your Merc- that was my primary goal when I went out the one time this month... just to get a Merc dime. I got three Wheaties but no silver.

PS- My gut feeling also says your Silver #100 is gonna be a quarter. I dunno why. I think it was for me. I'll have to check my dug coin album when I get home. Can't even recall if I'm up to 300 for all time yet. Pretty close, I think. I'm nearly certain that Silver Coin #100 for me was a 1944 quarter. If you happen to dig a '44 quarter for your 100th silver, I'll just have to give you an additional silver coin freebie for echoing me. Call it the "LordM Bounty" image

PPS- ya think I used enough freakin' emoticons in this message? Why not a couple more... imageimageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    imageimageimage You are sooooo emotional LordM.... Cheers, RickO
    Hey. They're purty, ain't they? Just lookit all the colors. Like Christmas tree lights.

I think maybe I should've used more animated ones, so the thread would be in constant motion, jiggling and bouncing every which way. imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Thought I had #100 but no. Why did a 1940 Canadian nickel give a mixed high signal and come out of the ground looking silver?

A US nickel of that age and depth would have been a low signal and come out rust red.
    My hunting buddy did dig two 1958D quarters in the same hole just before I arrived at the park.

The hunt continues.
    I once found an old Canadian nickel in the same hole as a buffalo nickel. You can see the difference right off.

Hope you beat your buddy to 2 silver quarters next time!

Ahh, there we go. Here's the pic from 2012

Whoa. A Nazi Party swastika stickpin? Dug here in the USA? That's an.interesting find which raises a lot of questions.

Wow... I agree with LordM....a swastika pin is certainly unusual in the States.. Cheers, RickO
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Whoa. A Nazi Party swastika stickpin? Dug here in the USA? That's an.interesting find which raises a lot of questions.

It might be a German American Bund item.

Canadian coins pops up to fool me again. This time a '72 dime.

Also dug a "Crack Kills" token. I dug one about 12 years ago in the same park.

The hunt continues.
    Still no luck on #100. I'm closing in on another personal best, Wheat cents. My best year was 2006 with 70. I dug one on wednesday and another on Thursday to put me at 67 for this year.

The weather has been fantastic but I know it could all come to a quick halt around here. Many years Thanksgiving marked the end of my season.
    Originally posted by: Dockwalliper

Still no luck on #100. I'm closing in on another personal best, Wheat cents. My best year was 2006 with 70. I dug one on wednesday and another on Thursday to put me at 67 for this year.

The weather has been fantastic but I know it could all come to a quick halt around here. Many years Thanksgiving marked the end of my season.

I'm quickly closing in on you, lol. I've now got 98 U.S. silver coins. I also have a mutilated Australian 6 pence that I don't count in my silver totals.

It would be pretty awesome to beat both records on the same day and it sounds quite feasible with how close you are on both.
    Being that close, I would pick a good site (like your site with so much silver) and spend a

day there to beat both records....image Cheers, RickO
    Originally posted by: Bayard1908

I'm quickly closing in on you, lol. I've now got 98 U.S. silver coins. I also have a mutilated Australian 6 pence that I don't count in my silver totals.

Bayard- under my personal rulebook, your Aussie sixpence counts... mutilated or not.

So it sounds like you two are tied and both hovering on the brink of 100? This could be exciting!

I agree with LordM, you are both at 99!
    PS- I too have an Aussie sixpence in my all-time silver count, which I think must be hovering around 300 by now (I forget- need to pull my albums out).

I wouldn't call mine mutilated, exactly, though it IS altered. It's a 1942 or 1943, as I recall, and was beaten into a convex, cupped shape to make a button. There are remnants of solder or braising on the concave reverse side, where the button shank would've been attached.

I have no doubt that it came home as a souvenir or gift with a serviceman from the Pacific theater of WW2. Many did.

I have 2 Canadian silvers in my count.

Welcome to 99.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to 99.

Shouldn't they only count as 1.80 with exchange rate? image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    I have at least one Canadian silver I can think of. And three British/English (though only one of those came up on this side of the pond)

Originally posted by: ajaan
    Welcome to 99.

Exchange rate was higher when I dug them.

Mind if I come by and Detect your lawn Don?
    I dug a 1942 Mercury dime today. I guess that's #100 according to the consensus here. I call it my 99th U.S. silver coin though.
    Bayard, I don't think there's a need to separate between U.S. silver coins and other countries. My lifetime tally is inclusive of all silver coins from all countries - U.S., one WWII Australian silver coin, Canada, and then there's the Spanish silver.

But in the end, it's your count, so you run the show!

Congrats on 99+
    Originally posted by: pcgs69

Bayard, I don't think there's a need to separate between U.S. silver coins and other countries. My lifetime tally is inclusive of all silver coins from all countries - U.S., one WWII Australian silver coin, Canada, and then there's the Spanish silver.

But in the end, it's your count, so you run the show!

Congrats on 99+

I agree. Set your own rules, of course, but I count ALL silver coins. (Not silver jewelry and such.)

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: ajaan

Welcome to 99.

Exchange rate was higher when I dug them.

Mind if I come by and Detect your lawn Don?

Fine, as long as you rake the leaves first.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Inquiring minds want to know...how's the search for 100 coming? Fingers crossed.
    My time and the weather have not been on the same page. I did get out once last week and dug Wheatie #68 and about $3 in clad.

Maybe this week.
    $6+ in clad and Wheatie #69.

RUNNING OUT OF TIME. image

fingers crossed you find #100 soon! Come up here and I'm sure we can find you one. But it's been getting cold here so probably not much time here either.
    All you need is a coin spill with two wheat cents and a silver dime.
    $4.29 today. No silver but I did dig 2 Wheaties to set a new high of 71.

We are a couple days away from setting a record for the latest measurable snow fall. There's hope yet.
    Well I finally dug silver number 100 and its not at all what I expected.

Any guesses?

Pic to follow.
    How about a hint?
    Canadian quarter
    Mercury dime?? Cheers, RickO

How about a hint?

Its .900 Silver and not a US coin.

Canadian dime? Cheers, RickO
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

The stickpin probably pre-dates WW 2. The swastika was actually a good luck symbol for centuries before the Nazi party started using it.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

How about a hint?

Its .900 Silver and not a US coin.

I interpret this to mean that it is not Canadian or British. What is it, Philippines? My next guess would be Germany.
    I will go with 1940s Australian shilling

I will go with 1940s Australian shilling

I don't believe that would be .900 silver.

Well??? The suspense is unbearable....image Cheers, RickO

1953 1/10th Balboa from Panama.
    huh, now that's a bit of an unexpected coin. Congrats on #100!