Home Metal Detecting
Options

1865 Two-Cent Piece

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got permission to several corn fields today. Unsure of the history, but wanted to poke around. Was there for about 2 hours. Pretty slow going, and it's big contrast to the silver beach. Only got one coin at this place. Was hoping it would have been an older coin, but it sure beats a Zincoln.

Also got a tombac button and a marble. The marble pic isn't the best. Any idea of age?

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great! You got your two cents' worth, and crusty critter or not, I call that a nice find.

I still have yet to dig a 2-cent piece, though twice now I've had buddies dig 'em a few yards away from me.

I would guess that marble to be from around the turn of the last century, but dunno for sure.

I know the earlier ones are bigger, and made of clay, usually g!azed. I have picked up a lot of marbles but the only time I found one of the big clay ones was when I was a volunteer on an archeological dig.

PS- Wikipedia has a little on the history of marbles, but I'm sure there are other pages out there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would need a better picture of the marble to give an opinion... if it is a cat's eye, it is

relatively new.... if a 'cloud' type, well that would be older and unique.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i lost my marbles a long time ago, i sure do miss them.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: johnny9434

i lost my marbles a long time ago, i sure do miss them.
    That pun was so inevitable here, I'm ashamed I didn't beat you to it! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering who would comment on losing marbles first, haha!