Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1916 Italy 2 Lire -- Quadriga Briosa type

I already have a 2 Lire coin of this type from 1915, but I put in a "throw away" bid on this nice 1916 example and ended up winning it. Given that it's only a 4-year type (1914, 1915, 1916, 1917), maybe I'll have to go for a complete 2 Lire set since I'm now 50% there. It has a nice little splash of color on the reverse.

-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

Wonderfull coin, I really like the reverses they were using during this period.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Both coin and image are wonderful. Is the image taken by you? If yes, congrats, if not, congrats on your choice of photographer.

Glad to see that other members got the hang of this right away.

The emoticons take some time to download...image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: SYRACUSIAN Both coin and image are wonderful. Is the image taken by you? If yes, congrats, if not, congrats on your choice of photographer. Glad to see that other members got the hang of this right away.

Hi Syracusian, thanks for the kind words. I have always taken my own images for coins I post here. On occasion, I'll use a CoinFacts or TrueView image when I post a coin until I receive the coin in hand. But, then I still always take my own images.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauty and a WINGS sticker to boot!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin! Great designs on Italian coins of that period.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: Zohar Beauty and a WINGS sticker to boot!

Haha, yes! I was very tempted to scrape it off before I photographed the label.

-Brandon

• Options
    Now that's a nice coin!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, love the coin. I "freed" a 1917 in MS65 from ATS.

You can photograph my coins anytime. Always very nice quality!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole type set of early 20th century coins from Italy is absolutely lovely, the 1911 commemoratives are awesome. I only have the 50 Lire so far, but would love the 5 lire sometime. Several countries then in the Latin Monetary System, ie France, Belgium, Italy, Romania had very very lovely coins - it was a precursor to the Euro. So far I have a type set of the Romanian coins of 1914. Unfortunately for that time the currency quickly lost value which is why there are enough of these coins were saved in vaults etc.

Even the minor coins, ie the 20 centesimi with the "flying nude" are stunning.

Thank you for sharing your 2 Lire - amazing piece.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful piece great EA that anyone can tell from a mile away image

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful coin and a nice image-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Great image and wonderful eye appeal issue ....you re really great photographer !
  • Options
    santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Great coin! I assembled a small set of early 20thC Italian coins about 8 years ago, after visiting Italy again. I studied there for a semester, and walked by Victorrio Emmanuelle's monument every morning going to studio. The last time we were there I was with another friend who's a coin collector, and we spent an afternoon in Rome hitting up coin shops and antique shops while our wives were shopping. Italy's a funny market; I think a lot of the good stuff stays in the country...

Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinkat

Wonderful coin and a nice image-

That's a stunner, no doubt about it, and those are great pics.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.