Home Metal Detecting

1873cc 25c with arrows

Last month I found a 1873cc 25c with arrows quarter and would really like some opinions as to its worth. It came back graded PCGS genuine rimdmg XF-details.
I'm posting b4 grading pics. Sorry about the quality but i could upload attachments 50kb or less. I would really like some educated opinions as to its value.
they say theres not many out there.
thanks for taking a look

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No link.... we would need pictures. There are several varieties of this coin.... however, in genuine, the value will be lower. Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

As ricko said we need some pics to give an assessment. welcome to the boards and congrats on that find!

I have seen the pictures.... the rim ding did not look bad enough for a
    genuine.... is that what they specified? What was the genuine number assigned?
    It does not appear to be one of the highly valued varieties though. Cheers, RickO

• Originally posted by: luckyiguess Last month I found a 1873cc 25c with arrows quarter and would really like some opinions as to its worth. It came back graded PCGS genuine rimdmg XF-details.
    I'm posting b4 grading pics. Sorry about the quality but i could upload attachments 50kb or less. I would really like some educated opinions as to its value.
    they say theres not many out there.
    thanks for taking a look

Wow that is quite the find. I would send it back for reconsideration as the rim dmg does not look that bad to stop it from straight grading. I am not sure of the series and would need someone more knowledgable to answer about pricing but not too many of these out there.

Edit to add I would also post this on the US coin board as you will get more responses.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a 5 figure coin. If you can find a collector who would consider holding a well detailed but non-graded example in a collection. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

I didn't quite realize the value yesterday! Tomorrow I'll poke around heritage auction archives to see if any have sold recently, and what they have sold for. Will hopefully get you a ballpark value.

It all depends on the variety....there are at least five, and not all are highly
    valued. Cheers, RickO

Sent you a PM
    pcgs69, I assume you mean the OP.... since I did not get one... Cheers, RickO
    ricko, yes, it was for luckyiguess. Checked through heritage auction archives and sent some historical actuals for the most similar ones I could find.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing find.

I wouldn't sweat the "Details" grade. I suspect that even if they hadn't noted a rim hit, they would've still "Details" graded it and said "Environmental Damage".

The only real reason to put this coin in a slab is for authentication purposes, and that has been established, so it's all good, I say, regardless of the commentary on the label.

PS- that coin was a strong AU when it hit the dirt! Had there been any of the original luster remaining (which of course is highly unlikely on a dug coin), they'd almost certainly have given it AU details!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    That coin will still bring real big money.... Cheers, RickO