Home Precious Metals
Options

When was the U.S. ban on importing Krugerrands lifted?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can find articles on the Interwebz that say either 1991 or 1994. Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks,

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Thanks.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I never knew there was a ban.
    PCGS
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I never knew there was a ban. >>

Apartheid boycot/ban.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lethal Weapon made a whole film about this before the lift.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1985, because the South African government Apartheid policy, Congress passed a law that prohibited South Africa from selling Krugerrand's in the U.S. By then, though, an estimated 22 million had already been imported, and the ban did not affect the buying and selling Krugerrand that were already in the United States. In 1994, Congress lifted the importation ban.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Originally posted by: OPA In 1985, because the South African government Apartheid policy, Congress passed a law that prohibited South Africa from selling Krugerrand's in the U.S. By then, though, an estimated 22 million had already been imported, and the ban did not affect the buying and selling Krugerrand that were already in the United States. In 1994, Congress lifted the importation ban.

I was just a teen when this ban happened and girls and sports were all on my mind at the time. LOL My question would be, did this create a premium on the Krugs that were here?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Capt. Murphy:
    Murtaugh, all that damage you caused downtown is comin' out of the department's budget!

Roger:
    Fine. Pay it off in Krugerrands.

Capt. Murphy:
    Don't make jokes, Murtaugh, make arrests!

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

did this create a premium on the Krugs that were here?

No, it actually depressed the premiums on them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    For a long time after the ban on importation was put in place, and even for a long time after the ban on importation was lifted, many people had a vague impression that there was something illegal about the ones that were already here. There were never any restrictions on the pieces already here, but because of the general negative impression of them they traded at about $10-$15 less than a Maple Leaf in or out the door.