Home Precious Metals
Options

If I am buying sterling silver for .35 to .40 cents a gram am I overpaying?

I have been getting some at local sales at this price am I OK or am I overpaying. Thank you for your honest answers.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what it is . Are we talking silverware ..... sterling junk coin...... or jewelry ? For coin maybe silve ware , intact jewelry its probably okay although I think jewelry reselling is difficult because buyers are fickle . I think that's too much for damaged stuff like broken chain or bent rings garbage like that.

I used to buy rings at melt and my girlfriend at the time would sell it on her ebay account and it was more trouble than it was worth. You would have a ring that had a melt value of 3$ and a buyer would win it for 5$ and then want to exchange 20 emails with you about it. The less they paid for it the more they complained too. image

Then some idiot would bid a 3$ ring up to $50 and not complain at all , and the whole time you would be wondering if whatever drugs they were on when they bid would wear off and they would angrily demand a refund.

I will say that if you have a store or a booth at an antique mall you can do okay with rings and what not.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been getting some at local sales at this price am I OK or am I overpaying. Thank you for your honest answers. >>

That works out to roughly $12 to $14 a ounce which is okay at the low end but too high when approaching $14 IMO. $0.35/g for sterling that is properly hallmarked and in good condition is acceptable but in no way is a great deal for the buyer.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you refining it or selling it?? If selling, are you making a profit? If making a profit, then you are doing OK.... Big profit, very well, small profit, likely not worth continuing.... JMO... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really does depend on what it is and what your intentions are...
    I've paid as much as $2,000 an oz for sterling.
    (No, not any of those Engelhards) image
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I am sitting on it for long term. Mostly flatware, some jewelry, it seems easy to sell on eBay and fetches good prices.