Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

old skool trick to separate uncs from sliders

standing them on edge on a piece of paper
unc's would reflect unbroken whereas sliders a grey line would appear straight up due to a break in the reflection "due to rub"

was this only used for standing liberty quarters and walkers or...other coins too?

when did this come about?
everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 410 ✭✭✭

I like the idea!

As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure there are other "tricks of the trade." Welcome any additions.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Teddy!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 11:40AM

@messydesk taught me this trick a while ago for Morgans. Everyone I've taught it to since thought it was some sort of magic

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good information.... These are methods often taught in grading seminars.... Tips such as this are great for forum members. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taught to me by John Albanese in 1984.
    Place a raw coin in 1" of water in a cereal bowl or whatever..
    Incandescent bulb at an angle.
    Rotate bowl
    Based on changes in refraction, hairlines etc. previously hard to see are now quite visible.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    Rotate bowl
    Based on changes in refraction, hairlines etc. previously hard to see are now quite visible.

WOW! Now that's a new one. I shall try it Monday. I guess the room should be dark also - right?

The light bulb trick works on circulated copper too (just small coins like Indian cents and dimes are harder to work with as you need to get your head down much lower below the tabletop). Have you used it or seen it used for any copper cents?

I imagine you or JA don't need to resort to "parlor tricks" to see rub and hairlines. I have found it more useful to teach kids where the first traces of rub occurs on coins of different types (now it is done in color in several grading guides). It also shows them on what part of the coin to start their examination.

I'll add one thing here that I bet most have not tried. I use two types of light on my desk. Incandescent and fluorescent. The fluorescent light is easier and faster at detecting "rub" than bouncing the light on to an angled coin. B)

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 9:37AM

@tradedollarnut said:

@ColonelJessup said:
    Rotate bowl

Taught to me by Laura:

Immerse a coin in pancake batter. Cook at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Gently pull the coin out of the now fluffy pancake and set aside. Add butter and syrup to the pancake and enjoy. When finished, look at coin on counter quizzically.

That's probably a good way to poison yourself! Anyway, what did the coin look like?

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cook my pancakes at 350 degrees and I think it's only 8 minutes, 12 might be OK.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@shorecoll
    What did the coin look like?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @shorecoll
    What did the coin look like?

The coin looked "battered" up....................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Taught to me by Laura:

Immerse a coin in pancake batter. Cook at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Gently pull the coin out of the now fluffy pancake and set aside. Add butter and syrup to the pancake and enjoy. When finished, look at coin on counter quizzically.

Is that where "I had to eat it" came from? >:)

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 10:44AM

TDN: I’ve always admired the beautiful toning on your coins. — Now I know how they got that way!! ;)

@tradedollarnut said:
    Taught to me by Laura:

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to see you back, Ted.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 3:04PM

None of these methods are reliable with slabbed coins. ;) But, neither is the 'grading.'

• Options

Actually, this method is just a teaching guide. However, it will work at a coin show and it does work through a slab but what the heck, the coin is already graded as an AU.

Now, this is something to think about. Coins graded Uncirculated in slabs can be found with:

1. Totally full and complete mint luster.
    2. A smooth shiny patch on a high spot ($20 knee).
    3. A smooth dull patch (friction rub) on a high spot.

Only you can decide what to purchase. :)

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "Only you can decide what to purchase. :) "
    True - and "Only you can prevent forest fires." That way the brush builds up mass until when it finally burns it's very destructive. Anyone for roast bear?

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

All are nice original methods used by savvy dealers and auspicious buyers...I bought 10- 1940's Walkers one time, all unk, they all turned yellow (dipping residue) in 10 years. Bad dealer, dumb collector (me)

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

If uncertain, put it in your pocket for a month or more and now you can be confident it is AU. For quicker results, a rock tumbler may be used to taste.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is neat to hear you say this guys, I always checked my raw Lincoln and Buffalos by looking down the face from the most extreme angle I can get and it shows where the rub is usually as a darker color. I guess its about the same technique but with the paper as a reflector a little bit easier.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

We old school people STILL know how to operate in this digital world.....................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an old post from a few years ago so I don't think Teddy is back. Odd though that there were no responses back then.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Great to see you back, Ted.

Thread is from 2015 and got bumped just today somehow.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was taught the paper trick in the late 70s.
    It's a helpful tool if you are unfamiliar with the nuances of rub, high points of the design etc.
    If you look at enough coins and have good numismatic intuition you really won't need to use it though.
    When I buy raw coins it comes down to price anyway; grade doesn't really matter..... it's either a good deal or not.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jokes aside I carry a high power led torch in my pocket. Lighting up the coin at an angle shows multiple layers of age and processing.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    I was taught the paper trick in the late 70s.
    It's a helpful tool if you are unfamiliar with the nuances of rub, high points of the design etc.
    If you look at enough coins and have good numismatic intuition you really won't need to use it though.
    When I buy raw coins it comes down to price anyway; grade doesn't really matter..... it's either a good deal or not.

Grade would be a major determinant in whether it's a good deal or not...unless you are just buying bullion.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't put coins in mine, Grandpa just likes making pancakes...sorry for any confusion. :)

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file