Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Holmes ANS 1793 WREATH NC-5 2009 Sale Token

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2017 11:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Who engraved the dies for and struck the Dan Holmes ANS 1793 WREATH NC-5 2009 sale tokens? It seems like the following quantities were struck:

- 500 copper
- 25 silver
- 8 gold

I still think it would be cool for other sales like Pogue, Newman, Gardner to have their own sale tokens.

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a very attractive token design... Not sure if it's a Patrick Mint creation?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure who made them. Seems like a very good idea for major collections.

I picked up a token, which I never new existed, for the 2002 Robinson S. Brown, Jr. auction several months after the sale in a dealers box. It states "3 SALES 3 DECADES 1 FIRM" (Superior) and shows the dates of all the sales along with images of a cent from each sale. Don't see any indication of the maker or engraver.

Makes me wonder if there might be tokens for other auctions unknown to me.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: WinLoseWin

Not sure who made them. Seems like a very good idea for major collections.

I picked up a token, which I never new existed, for the 2002 Robinson S. Brown, Jr. auction several months after the sale in a dealers box. It states "3 SALES 3 DECADES 1 FIRM" (Superior) and shows the dates of all the sales along with images of a cent from each sale. Don't see any indication of the maker or engraver.

Makes me wonder if there might be tokens for other auctions unknown to me.

That's cool. Do you have a pic?

I have a silver Dan Holmes token and it's a pretty neat piece.

Don't have a picture handy, but there is a silver one listed on Ebay linked below with the identical design. Mine is copper. That is the only pic or info that I was able to find in a search.

I had assumed they were issued by Superior. But the "GOOD FOR $20 IN TRADE" on it may indicate a different source.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commem...02a:g:ncAAAOSwpDdVLWg6

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Here is an example of the copper token. Sorry for the blurry obverse. I have an old phone and did it quickly.

I would love to know what one of the silver ones would legitimately sell for since they only made 25 of them.

edited August 8, 2017 7:59PM

Nice token @halfcentman. I really like these.

Here's my silver which needs better pics. I forgot how much I paid for it.

I still need to get a copper and a gold. I saw a gold offered for over $3k but that was too rich for me.

@Zoins said:

I still need to get a copper and a gold. I saw a gold offered for over $3k but that was too rich for me.

Thanks for the great picture. Dan was an awesome guy.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not aware that tokens were made for sales - significant one's I would imagine. Though I do think it would be a good idea. It would commemorate some significant purchases for people... Cheers, RickO

@halfcentman said:

@Zoins said:

I think you'd have to pay more than $50 for one now! :smile:

@ricko said:
    I was not aware that tokens were made for sales - significant one's I would imagine. Though I do think it would be a good idea. It would commemorate some significant purchases for people... Cheers, RickO

As to the original point in this thread. I agree wholeheartedly with Rick, et al.

Here's a silver that sold recently.

edited July 26, 2020 7:25AM

@zonnk said:
    One finally flushed out for me, sweet example!!

Congrats! These are tough to find and a piece of numismatic history!

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

i'll ask the dumb question. "do the holmes 2009 catalogs not have that information?" i've been through them oodles of times but never really paid much attention to those. pretty sure i don't have the full set anymore.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

edited July 26, 2020 8:37AM

@WinLoseWin said:
    Don't have a picture handy, but there is a silver one listed on Ebay linked below with the identical design. Mine is copper. That is the only pic or info that I was able to find in a search.

I had assumed they were issued by Superior. But the "GOOD FOR $20 IN TRADE" on it may indicate a different source.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commem...02a:g:ncAAAOSwpDdVLWg6

Surprisingly, the 2015 eBay link still works.

Here are the photos. Anyone know Robinson S. Brown?

edited July 26, 2020 8:58AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    i'll ask the dumb question. "do the holmes 2009 catalogs not have that information?" i've been through them oodles of times but never really paid much attention to those. pretty sure i don't have the full set anymore.

I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't mentioned in the catalog. Catalogs are typically focused on the pieces being auctioned.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you aren't joking, Robbie Brown was one of the top large cent collectors for a very long time.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
    edited July 26, 2020 10:16PM

@shorecoll said:
    If you aren't joking, Robbie Brown was one of the top large cent collectors for a very long time.

He's just not someone I've run across so far. Most of the famous collectors I know of are who are posted here or provenances I see. I don't recall running across his provenance on coins I've seen. Searching eBay for "robinson large cent" returns a single coin but "holmes large cent" returns quite a few.

I did just look him up and this is from his obit:

Three times during his life, he assembled and then auctioned his Large Cent collection, one of which was considered the best in the world. He was a director of the Early American Copper Society and often contributed papers to their catalogs.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/louisville/obituary.aspx?n=robinson-s-brown&pid=14674260

He was one of the few to do full Sheldon and Newcomb sets, all varieties.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
    edited July 26, 2020 9:17AM

@shorecoll said:
    He was one of the few to do full Sheldon and Newcomb sets, all varieties.

Awesome! Those are great accomplishments!

Here's info from his 1986 sale:

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Remember that Superior catalogs are at the NNP, including the Brown sales.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)

@Aegis3 said:
    Remember that Superior catalogs are at the NNP, including the Brown sales.

no matter how much i use that portal, i'm constantly underutilizing it.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@Zoins said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't mentioned in the catalog. Catalogs are typically focused on the pieces being auctioned.

Below is an image of the lot for one of the gold tokens offered in the auction to benefit the ANS for making the Unique 1793 N-5 available for lot viewing. It is held by the ANS museum so unless another is found, this was the only time every Sheldon variety including the Non-Collectible coins could be seen at one place.

An early downloaded prices realized showed a hammer price of $5,500, but it now shows as unsold on Goldbergs website and their current prices realized for the auction. Wonder what happened. Maybe the top bidder failed to pay or...?

Image of the gold token lot in the auction catalog with mintage info found on the Newman Numismatic Portal. But I could not find any mention of who struck it:

Link to the gold token lot on Golbergs website showing it as UNSOLD:

images.goldbergauctions.com/php/lot_auc.php?site=1&sale=54&lot=17&lang=1http://

Image of the page with the 1793 NC-5 info from the auction catalog:

Link to Holmes catalog starting at Dan Holmes Collection In His Own Words - lots of interesting info and stories:

https://archive.org/details/danholmescollect0001iral/page/n11/mode/2up

They may have bought it back and then listed it as unsold to be "accurate".

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

@WinLoseWin said:
    Below is an image of the lot for one of the gold tokens offered in the auction to benefit the ANS for making the Unique 1793 N-5 available for lot viewing.

hands-down one of my favorite things about that auction. the willingness and cooperation to achieve such a goal, even at an auction where the item would NOT be available. kudos to those that pulled that one together to the joy of many.

reminds me of the top copper guys pulling a lot of early large cents together to do the study for the cotton leafs and some NCs i think. oh my, to have been a fly in that room...

Image of the gold token lot in the auction catalog with mintage info found on the Newman Numismatic Portal. But I could not find any mention of who struck it:

tyvm for taking the time and doing such a nice presentation with your post!.

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I’m not mistaken Robbie Brown was able to complete the set, TWICE.

He is of the JTS Brown whiskey family. Raise a glass to his memory.

As for Dan Holmes, what a guy. I was walking down an isle of a coin show one day and Dan called out to me. “Brad, want to see all the Strawberry leaf large cents together?” Who could say no to that offer? Spent the better part of the next hour looking at the coins and talking with him. Only one of many grand memories.......

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

@BustDMs said:
    If I’m not mistaken Robbie Brown was able to complete the set, TWICE.

He is of the JTS Brown whiskey family. Raise a glass to his memory.

As for Dan Holmes, what a guy. I was walking down an isle of a coin show one day and Dan called out to me. “Brad, want to see all the Strawberry leaf large cents together?” Who could say no to that offer? Spent the better part of the next hour looking at the coins and talking with him. Only one of many grand memories.......

Great info on Robbie and Dan! Sounds like they would have been great people to know!

• zonnkzonnk Posts: 15 ✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:

@Zoins said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Below is an image of the lot for one of the gold tokens offered in the auction to benefit the ANS for making the Unique 1793 N-5 available for lot viewing. It is held by the ANS museum so unless another is found, this was the only time every Sheldon variety including the Non-Collectible coins could be seen at one place.

An early downloaded prices realized showed a hammer price of $5,500, but it now shows as unsold on Goldbergs website and their current prices realized for the auction. Wonder what happened. Maybe the top bidder failed to pay or...?

Link to the gold token lot on Golbergs website showing it as UNSOLD:

images.goldbergauctions.com/php/lot_auc.php?site=1&sale=54&lot=17&lang=1http://

Image of the page with the 1793 NC-5 info from the auction catalog:

Link to Holmes catalog starting at Dan Holmes Collection In His Own Words - lots of interesting info and stories:

https://archive.org/details/danholmescollect0001iral/page/n11/mode/2up

Thanks for the article with the mintage numbers. The first post on the thread said there are 25 silver. Looks like 200 were minted. I looked mine up on anacs and it indicates that 10 were graded, no wonder they are so hard to find!

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was fortunate to pick up this nice silver example last week from our friends at @nencoin. I always appreciate their great coins and service.

ANACS MS69.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    I was fortunate to pick up this nice silver example last week from our friends at @nencoin. I always appreciate their great coins and service.

ANACS MS69.

Wow, that's amazingly beautiful!

Congrats on a beautiful specimen!

• zonnkzonnk Posts: 15 ✭✭

Nice toning and grade!

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

I saw my name, but it's not me??? Whats going on here???

Dan
    edited October 3, 2020 4:56AM

@Dan50 said:
    I saw my name, but it's not me??? Whats going on here???

This thread is for the former President of Early American Coppers who passed away a few years ago.

Here are some links for more info:

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice tokens from Dan Holmes, guys.

I bought my first expensive Large Cent through Tom Reynolds at that 1986 Robby Brown auction. It was a Matron Head Cent that I've upgraded since, but that experience hooked me permanently on nice Large Cents. I still have the catalog.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file