Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Real Life Coin Stories from Members of PCGS Message Boards

I found this article while doing some research, never seen it before but thought it was a fun enjoyable read.

Link

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon!

Where are the ANACONDA stories?!

peacockcoins

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brandon! >>

I hope Brandon is doing well. He's missed on these boards!

<< <i>Where are the ANACONDA stories?! >>

Archive.org?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the link!
    He has my 1870cc dollar history in there too!
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. Those are awesome stories. Here's mine...

Back in 1997 my grandfather passed away. He had been a barber in a small town in south-central Michigan for 66 years, living in the same house a short walk from downtown. I flew back for his funeral and took my metal detector. In the front yard I found a heavily corroded 1867 Indian Head Cent. Also that weekend, we set out starting to organize things in the house as something needed to be done with everything. My parents, an uncle and various brothers and sisters were all there. As we started going through things in the house, we discovered he had hidden money throughout the house, mostly $1 bills as being a barber was a cash business and given that he experienced the great depression, he probably had some distrust for banks. In one drawer we found several hundred $1 bills that were series 1963. It became a hunt to see what we could find in the house. I knew of some hiding places as I was shown stuff as a kid. Behind a drawer in the kitchen, I knew there was a small cavity where they had kept stuff. There we found an old tobacco can with about a dozen Morgan and Peace Dollars. Overall, nothing valuable was found. The total amount of cash found was probably around $1,000. The silver dollars were split up amongst us. But it's a nice memory that my grandfather sent us on a small treasure hunt throughout the house after his funeral. I expect that there's still money hid somewhere in that house today, although I don't expect that it's much.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine.

Back about 1983 or so I was a budding coin collector. Just married 7 years I didn't have very much to spend. I worked with a guy who was a lifelong collector and we talked often. Back then the only real way to see/buy coins was in a shop or at a show so we'd drive to shows quite often. He showed me good from bad, right from wrong and would confirm coins I liked were purchase worthy.

I then met an older fellow at the local coin club meetings I attended. He came to understand that I frequented shows and after a brief time he consigned coins for me to liquidate for him. He had just one lung and must have known something was up with his health because as I sold off his coins he was happy with the returns (minus my 10 %) and gave me more and more. They were mostly Walkers, and Morgans and a few circulated Barber coins. Then one day, out of the blue my guy gives me a gold coin to sell. I didn't even recognise it but brought it to work the next day for my co-worker's advice regarding a proper asking price when offering it for sale. My co worker "Harry" took one look at it and said......."this is power". I'm confused but just sharp enough to interpret that to mean that it's hardly generic. As it turned out it was an 1806 Capped Bust $5 gold coin. With Harry's guidance and know how rather than selling it we shipped it to ANACS whom had recently begun to grade and encapsulate coins.

Upon it's return it was subsequently sold realizing it's full value as the AU 50 coin it turned out to be. What was interesting was that it's owner never questioned the need to get it slabbed and was thrilled with the sale price. I can't even remember what I got for it but I do remember being embarrassed accepting 10% for such a valuable coin. It was just so far beyond the pail of my collecting ability.

I was thrilled to have played a role n the sale of the coin for a guy who was nice enough and trusted me to always do the right thing by him. He died about 2 years later but planned things out well enough where there was nothing left on the shelf.

Cancer took my mentor Harry about 1996 but his excitement for the hobby and his willingness to assist will always be a guidepost to my approach to the hobby as well.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brandon!

Where are the ANACONDA stories?! >>

There may be a serious issue with Brandon. imageBrandon's site has been abandoned for 2 years though it shows inventory.
    There is a phone and email contact, but I don't know if they are still valid?

He's a good guy. Hope he is doing OK somewhere.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great stories there.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file