Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Citizens Coinage Advisory Comittee (CCAC)

Anyone from this forum applying?

I'm thinking I should since I know about the RP Truman and Ike coins, and I graduated form High School... image

Alex

Comments

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that Daniel Carr should serve on this committee, if he's not already doing so.

He could certainly improve the designs of our current US coinage.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am applying, again, though I think that the Mint does not like me.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am applying, again, though I think that the Mint does not like me. >>

Instant Qualification in my mind then.

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I apply each time, and while I am certainly qualified I am not commercially viable.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am applying, again, though I think that the Mint does not like me. >>

I think the Captain is over qualified and would cause the other members to be embarrassed about what they have done.

Link
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for Tom. I can vote, right image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very happy Heidi Wastweet is on the committee. Here's her bio and portfolio:

<< <i>Heidi Wastweet is a leading American Medallist and sculptor who specializes in bas-relief bronzes. In conjunction with a wide variety of private mints she has produced over 1000 coins, medals, tokens and rare coin replicas since 1987. She was chief engraver for Sunshine Mint for 11 years and lead designer/sculptor for Global Mint for 5 years. In 2001 she opened her own studio and relocated from Idaho to Seattle Washington in 2002. She served as treasurer for the American Medallic Sculpture Association from 2003—2009 and is current president and founder of Seattle Sculpture Guild as well as a member of FIDEM. She has been included in Coin World and Coinage magazine and exhibits her non-commission work regularly including the National Sculpture Society in New York and the Norwegian Heritage Museum in Washington.

Medal and coin credits include a 7 coin set issued by the Sultanate of Darfur, the Dean's Award for Seattle University School of Law, Alumnus Award for Stephen F. Austin University, Mayo Clinic visiting physicians medal, Stanford University Alumni medal and Island records Willie Nelson portrait. In addition to medalic art she has also created a number of public art pieces including a recent commission for the University of Washington's Medal of Honor Monument in Seattle and eight bronze relief panels for 12 foot high church doors for St. Paul's in Pensacola, Florida. >>

It would be nice to have Dan, Tom and others on it as well.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's also pretty cool Donald Scarinci is on the CCAC. He nice collector background and website.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only there were enough members to force art back on our coins.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If only there were enough members to force art back on our coins.... Cheers, RickO >>

You can't really "force" art. But you can just let it happen, without too much filtering.
  • Options

<< <i>I think that Daniel Carr should serve on this committee, if he's not already doing so.

He could certainly improve the designs of our current US coinage. >>

Thanks for the vote of confidence image
    As an artist myself, I'm not sure how well I'd do criticizing other artists' work (something I try to avoid doing).
    And I'm not sure I'd want to help the "competition" image

But if I was part of the CCAC, I'd want to see proposed designs in 3D format (physical or digital), not the 2D pencil drawing format that is utilized currently.
    I think I would find it frustrating to have a drawing that I liked, only to later see "losses in translation" when it is converted into a 3D sculpt.
  • Options

<< <i>You can't really "force" art. But you can just let it happen, without too much filtering. >>

I agree Dan.... it is the filtering that is killing coin art.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think that Daniel Carr should serve on this committee, if he's not already doing so.

As an artist myself, I'm not sure how well I'd do criticizing other artists' work (something I try to avoid doing).

But if I was part of the CCAC, I'd want to see proposed designs in 3D format (physical or digital), not the 2D pencil drawing format that is utilized currently.
    I think I would find it frustrating to have a drawing that I liked, only to later see "losses in translation" when it is converted into a 3D sculpt. >>

Excellent point. We see 2D black and white drawings with lots of shading and the Engraving Dept. has to convert it into a 3D monochrome form.

However, back when the Mint requested 3D plaster (or whatever) models there were only a few artists capable of sculpting them. Accepting 2D black and white drawings expands the field of potential designers and designs.

Your two Statehood quarter designs are very good; could you have submitted them in 3D if required to? If not, we would have been deprived of those designs.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think I would find it frustrating to have a drawing that I liked, only to later see "losses in translation" when it is converted into a 3D sculpt. >>

Excellent point. We see 2D black and white drawings with lots of shading and the Engraving Dept. has to convert it into a 3D monochrome form.

However, back when the Mint requested 3D plaster (or whatever) models there were only a few artists capable of sculpting them. Accepting 2D black and white drawings expands the field of potential designers and designs.

Your two Statehood quarter designs are very good; could you have submitted them in 3D if required to? If not, we would have been deprived of those designs. >>

When I did the two state quarters (NY & RI), I was in a pilot program for the US Mint's coming Artistic Infusion Program (AIP). Artists in these programs are specifically instructed to submit only black/gray/white shaded line art and NOT any 3D forms.
    At that time (1999) I had the capability to produce a digital 3D model. But I had not yet acquired the technology and ability to produce a 3D physical model.
  • Options
    Once again I was solicited by the Treasury Dept. to apply for a position on the CCAC, and once again I applied, and once again they announced the winners without having the bare minimum of courtesy to contact the unsuccessful applicants before issuing a press release with the winners.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be scared of anyone in a suit, at that level. You guys can have it.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Once again I was solicited by the Treasury Dept. to apply for a position on the CCAC, and once again I applied, and once again they announced the winners without having the bare minimum of courtesy to contact the unsuccessful applicants before issuing a press release with the winners.

I feel your pain. I spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy and the shear bureaucracy at the upper levels is the ultimate in "the good ole boy's network." Does not matter how qualified you are. Plus, it seems Treasury should have helped you a little more than they obviously did not.
  • Options
    Design by committee will not produce art. Meddling and tweaking and PC considerations as

well as special interests always result in bland, unattractive - often commercialized - depictions that either repulse or are merely tolerated. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Hydrant
    If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.

One can only hope our comments are taken seriously.
    Or;
    One can only hope our comments are taken, seriously image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.

One can only hope our comments are taken seriously.
    Or;
    One can only hope our comments are taken, seriously image

I'm confident mine are. I'm not so sure about yours.

I'm confident you won't be nominated. And I'm serious.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Originally posted by: Zoins
    I'm very happy Heidi Wastweet is on the committee. Here's her bio and portfolio:

It would be nice to have Dan, Tom and others on it as well.

Great stuff there. Her Abbreviated Liberty medal is surreal and parodic. Coin collectors could pick up a different message from it other than the intended one, with regards to the image of Liberty on coins as well as being similar to Daniel Carr's own satirical designs. Odin Medal - lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file