Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"I knew I was beyond help when…"

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
… a friend asked if I bought a lottery ticket for this week's Gazillion Dollar jackpot, and I answered : " Nooooo. For the cost of a ticket I can buy a silver dime or a presidential dollar. Are you crazy ? "
She laughed and said, "You're crazy".

Comments

• Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Smart lady!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it is tremendously unlikely that I would win, I like to know there is a chance....however remote. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Or you could spend the day at the bank, getting dimes, quarters and halves and checking them for silver one dollar at a time.

If you get a winning silver coin put it aside and replace it with a clad one and keep your dollar in action, trading it for new coins to check.

You would probably come out at the end of the day ahead with more you would win with the lottery.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or you could spend the day at the bank, getting dimes, quarters and halves and checking them for silver one dollar at a time.

If you get a winning silver coin put it aside and replace it with a clad one and keep your dollar in action, trading it for new coins to check.

You would probably come out at the end of the day ahead with more you would win with the lottery. >>

I'll be at the bank putting my house up for collateral to cover a large purchase, or risk doing jail time. I am beyond help, barring the banker, lawyer, undertaker, and one big estate.
    So help me _ _ _. He ain't failed me, yet.

On the flip side : My friend or friends and family didn't win.
    Someone who purchased a ticket in Michigan is going to have to do something with their windfall, though
    I'll bet they take up coin collecting.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lottery is a poor tax

Your odds of winning the lottery are just about ZERO.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    . . . I was happy to find just one silver JFK when searching a whole box.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>… a friend asked if I bought a lottery ticket for this week's Gazillion Dollar jackpot, and I answered : " Nooooo. For the cost of a ticket I can buy a silver dime or a presidential dollar. Are you crazy ? "
    She laughed and said, "You're crazy". >>

Odds of winning powerball: about 1: 175,000,000
    Odds of being hit by lightning: approx 1:275,000
    Odds of being sharkbit: 1:3,748,067

Not crazy, just pragmatic. But folks can spend their money however they like.
    If you invest 20$ a week and get 5% return per annum, in 20 years you will have about 36,000. I am sure there are plenty of people who spend that much a week on lottery tickets and end up in 20 years with ... 0.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The lottery is a poor tax

Your odds of winning the lottery are just about ZERO. >>

You must be fun at parties. The $20 I spend a year on lottery tickets isn't going to kill me, can't even buy a nice UNC Morgan for that money. >>

I know people who used the lottery for their retirement plan. It did not work well.

I, and those who profit from the lottery, appreciate your patronage.

Some say the lottery is a tax on those with poor math skills. I feel this is uncharitable. The laws of mathematics concerning very large (and very small) numbers are poorly understood by the general public. I remember an economics instructor who proved that buying 10 tickets did not give you 10X the opportunity to win. Don't remember the exact proof, but the conclusion was that 10 snowballs in hell had no better chance than 1 snowball.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you compare the odds of winning to the sum of our national debt (bazillions), one in a 175 million don't seem so bad.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The lottery is a poor tax

Your odds of winning the lottery are just about ZERO. >>

You must be fun at parties. The $20 I spend a year on lottery tickets isn't going to kill me, can't even buy a nice UNC Morgan for that money. >>

Just gimme the money. I don't care where it comes from image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't play you can't win. (period). $2 will get you a cold Burger King hamburger which will give you a sour onion taste in your mouth for hours or a chance to get $300,000,000.00
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew long before I paid up for this Buff I was a lost cause.

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file