Pretty cool
Not my coin, but I saw it on eBay. $7k BIN OBO

PCGS 25c 1965 Quarter Transitional Off-Metal on Silver Quarter Planchet AU-50

imageimage

Comments

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    as much as i love the date to begin with
    a 90% silver would ice a cake there
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome coin, and it's too bad it has such a distracting blemish right on the center of the obverse.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugly, but very, very cool.

'65 was a good year, too. image

That's one of the few coins from my birthyear that I'd have any interest in holding on to.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat pick up
    Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have looked for one of those for years and years...no luck so far.... Neat acquisition... Cheers, RickO
  • Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    how much is that worth?
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how much is that worth? >>

That's between you and the seller.

The seller is asking $7k OBO
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All transitional planchet errors are pricey and this one is not out of line by any measures.

They only occur when old planchents are stuck in the seams of the bins.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An obvious visual indicator would be the silverish-white color. Those who have found silver in the cash register drawer or other pile of change know that it jumps out at you. With an AU50 grade, it must have circulated for a couple of years before someone "discovered" it.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All transitional planchet errors are pricey and this one is not out of line by any measures.

They only occur when old planchents are stuck in the seams of the bins. >>

Or in the case of this particular coin, when the 1964 and 1965 Quarters were being produced at the same time?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much to look at, is it?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or in the case of this particular coin, when the 1964 and 1965 Quarters were being produced at the same time? >>

Do we know that there was a period of time during which dies dated both 1964 and 1965 were simultaneously installed in running presses, thus causing the two to be produced concurrently? I'd think that care would have been taken to make sure this didn't happen, as it would have easily produced the manufactured rarities that were to be avoided at the time.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat for sure!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like these a lot but a neater one is the unique 1964 struck on a clad planchet.
    Tempus fugit.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that quarter extremely ugly. But, it is what it is and it's a cool piece, but ugly!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome coin, and it's too bad it has such a distracting blemish right on the center of the obverse. >>

That could so easily be remediated.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Or in the case of this particular coin, when the 1964 and 1965 Quarters were being produced at the same time? >>

Do we know that there was a period of time during which dies dated both 1964 and 1965 were simultaneously installed in running presses, thus causing the two to be produced concurrently? I'd think that care would have been taken to make sure this didn't happen, as it would have easily produced the manufactured rarities that were to be avoided at the time. >>

I have read that the Mint continued to strike coins dated 1964 until early 1966 in order to exhaust their reserves of silver planchets. There are several known 1965-dated dimes and quarters on silver planchets, as well as the 1964 dime on a clad planchet mentioned below. I also recall seeing a 1965 cent struck on a silver dime planchet included in a major off-metal collection that was sold in the late 1970s, somewhere I have the catalog for that sale tucked away (I bet Fred Weinberg will know more about that one).

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • I am surprised that the soft silver planchet did not strike up stronger. Compare it to the 1964 D type C reverse. I think this one is a type D reverse.
  • Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Cool coin but sure is ugly. I always have my eyes on the lookout for one of these while digging in junk silver piles. You never know what is in junk silver bins just waiting to be found.
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice score image
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a few 1965 Cents on Silver Dime planchets;
    I sold one about 6 months ago.

I currently have it's 'mate' - a 1964 Cent on a Clad Dime Planchet, PCGS MS-63.

There are some very interesting combinations of 1964 & 1965 dated coins on
    clad or silver planchets, etc.....
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fred: If you are still out there .... I own this coin (1965 Quarter on silver planchet) grading PCGS-MS64. Is that the highest grade you are aware of, or is there a true gem out there somewhere that you know about?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Wondercoin - Could we have a picture of yours?
    PAC: Yes, as soon as Justin captures it with his camera setup. He is getting there.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PAC: Yes, as soon as Justin captures it with his camera setup. He is getting there.

Wondercoin >>

I'd suggest making a new thread with the picture, since a top grade transitional coin would have a much better discussion than being buried in this thread about an ugly coin that I stumbled across on eBay.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really cool yet kinda ugly coin.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• The coin is mine. As others have said, there are lots of different metal combinations for the 1964/65 transitionals including cents clad/silver, quarters clad/silver, and then other things such as a (if I recall correctly) a few 1965 silver nickels (on 1964 90% silver dime planchet.) This is one of the more often seen combinations, although still extremely rare. Most of the examples you see have something going on with them, either well worn, cleaned, scratched, etc.

The brown on the obverse is toning, and could be removed easily, but I haven't fooled with it.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mornin' Mitch -

I recall that Stacks sold an MS-65 1965 Silver Quarter about 10-12 years ago (roughly).

That's the highest grade for either a dime or quarter, as far as I'm aware.....
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting error for sure! image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Do we know that there was a period of time during which dies dated both 1964 and 1965 were simultaneously installed in running presses, thus causing the two to be produced concurrently? I'd think that care would have been taken to make sure this didn't happen, as it would have easily produced the manufactured rarities that were to be avoided at the time. >>

I was actively roll searching during that time, and 1965 clad quarter began showing up in rolls in late summer/early fall of 1965. We were told that the mint was continuing to strike massive amounts of silver quarters dated 1964 in addition to the clads, that the silver quarters would never be rare, and that therefore we should not pull them from circulation and save them.

Naturally, I did as I was told. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Thanks Fred. I'll ask Stacks about it the next time I am over there.

Wondercoin
  • A mint did not strike silver and clad coins of the same denomination at the same time.
    Philadelphia was making clad quarters while Denver was making silver quarters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file