Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

TrueView GTG

I got my grades and TrueView pictures today so feel free to take a guess. No cheating. Good luck!

image[/URL]
image[/URL]
image[/URL]
image[/URL]
image[/URL]
image[/URL]
image[/URL]
image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    Cool coins. I will guess the grade of the Bust half only, since they're all I know: XF40.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok Brian, you have to guess the Overton as well then! image This one is actually a fun one.
  • Options

<< <i>Ok Brian, you have to guess the Overton as well then! image This one is actually a fun one. >>

You're killing me here. I had to open the book for this one: O.136. I might have known it off hand if it were an R5 or better; I have those memorized.

Most people don't like attributing the 27's but I think they're fun, because they're challenging.
  • Options
    i figured the misplaced date would be a dead giveaway for you. It certainly looks like the top of an 8 poking out below the regular 8. I always considered this to be one of the earliest misplaced dates known. A solid R4 and a fun one to find.
  • Options

<< <i>i figured the misplaced date would be a dead giveaway for you. It certainly looks like the top of an 8 poking out below the regular 8. I always considered this to be one of the earliest misplaced dates known. A solid R4 and a fun one to find. >>

You know what, I never even noticed the MPD on this variety. I attribute the 1827s like I do all other dates: T-I relationship, A-A relationship, ends of scrolls relative to letters, and 50C relative to the talons. If that doesn't do it, or if the reverse was used in multiple die marriages, then I use the obverse.

Thanks for teaching me something new.
  • Options
    Now I feel bad, it is too late to be looking at T-I and A-A relationships. image lol

Glad to share that pick up point.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...that gold piece is stunning..... I will go with 70 on that one...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '40-O : XF40
    '41-O : VF35
    42-P : VF25
    1st '43-O : AU50
    2nd '43-O : XF45
    '65-S : VF30

Edited to update: I was 66% correct. On the low side by one grade on one, and the other - well it is darn near impossible to interpret digital images as accurately as if the coin was in hand.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dupe post

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold has to be a 70 imo.
    I love the misplaced digit on the Bust half. XF?
    The first seated looks VF, all the rest look in the XF range save the first 43-O which should be more 45 to 50 imo.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them! I would guess all of them XF-AU outside of the gold!
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That O.136 is a really good example of the stray numeral below the 8. Probably an 8 but some folks think it's the top of a 6. Great coin!

Lots of XF's in that group. Except maybe the first one. That's better than XF.

The 1842 looks mid VF.

Very sweet group! Besides the 2009 UHR that is the only other modern gold coin I admire.
    Lance.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an excellent way to do a GTG.

Three correct, one wrong by one grade, two wrong by two grades, one d'oh. Did not bother with the modern.

Thanks.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 shot 35

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file