Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Spectacular set of Flying Eagle Cents being sold by Heritage at January FUN!!

RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
Anyone remember the Leningrad Dutch collection of pattern and regular issue Flying Eagles? PCGS displayed it at the Los Angeles ANA in 2009. It is a spectacular set of about every variety of flyer you could ever dream of owning. Being a pattern guy, I personally would love to get my hands back on a few coins I gave up to this collection, such as the dateless flyer (J-179). It is amazing. The collection also has its share of great large flyers.

For those of you mainstreamers, this collection has the finest complete variety set of proof flyers, with a weighted GPA of 66.6 and a nearly complete variety set of circulation strikes, weighted 64.467 and ranked second. Tom Fore was highly regarded by all who knew him and it was a sad day when he unexpectedly passed away a couple years ago. He was an astute numismatist and an unrivaled husband, father and friend.

It should an incredible event.

Comments

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom will be missed.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>Tom will be missed.

image >>

To say he was a great man would be a tremendous understatement.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad about your friend.

He looks young.
  • Options

<< <i>Sad about your friend.

He looks young. >>

He was (55). Very sudden and very sad. He would have given you the shirt off his back. He put together one great collection of flyers, but he always had his priorities straight.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick:

Thanks for the auction news. I have a few old friends in that collection as well.

One of the highlights of my collecting career was spending the night at Tom's looking at his collection. He really was a great guy and friend.

One of the low lights was when he told me "my" 1858 LL P65CAM had upgraded to P66Cam after I had failed a few times. image

Looking forward to the auction preview.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy must have been a chess player.....the Leningrad Dutch is a wild opening seen in club play but rarely at the grandmaster level.
  • Options

<< <i>This guy must have been a chess player.....the Leningrad Dutch is a wild opening seen in club play but rarely at the grandmaster level. >>

He was an excellent player, often placing in the top five in his state.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any link to a registry set etc?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sad about your friend.

He looks young. >>

He was (55). Very sudden and very sad. He would have given you the shirt off his back. He put together one great collection of flyers, but he always had his priorities straight. >>

count our blessings, we all got another day. its sad to see one pass so young.
  • Options

<< <i>Any link to a registry set etc? >>

Proof
    Circulation
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any link to a registry set etc? >>

Proof
    Circulation >>

Wow! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Here's a link to a Fly-in Club feature describing the top 10 highlights of the collection when it was displayed at the Summer 2009 ANA. I think Rick Snow wrote this feature.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Great collection! Love the looks of the PR66CAM.

Always sad to have a loss in the hobby.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A super Flying Eagle set it is. But I can't believe I'm the only one who thinks that carbon spot on the PR64CA can be removed.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This guy must have been a chess player.....the Leningrad Dutch is a wild opening seen in club play but rarely at the grandmaster level. >>

i have yet to see it but i dont play but do immerse myself in old, some modern, grandmaster matches, often using en engine for analysis, mostly though, just watch them via 3-5 youtube channels.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know the man, but I must say he built an amazing set of FE cents so he certainly was a great coin collector.

Condolences to his family and friends.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom was a great guy and a very astute collector. I sold him most all his coins and he got first shot at some incredible coins. I also tried to buy the collection after he passed away. Aware of the trauma his death caused to the family, I was probably not aggressive enough. His wife recently passed away as well and this brought me great trepidation that an earlier promise by Tom to deal with me on the disposition of the collection would not be honored by the trustees of the estate. I was right. I had a cash offer with well over a Million in-hand and the collection was given to Heritage. So, now I am working with Heritage to bring the collection to market. It sure is sad when two beautiful people in their mid-50's pass away leaving a daughter in high school.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great set.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible collection and very sad about Tom and his wife.... Would love to see those coins in person... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cannot help but feel a sense of love and a great loss at the same time the world gains great collectibles.
  • Options

Originally posted by: FadeToBlack
    Tom was a great guy and a very astute collector. I sold him most all his coins and he got first shot at some incredible coins. I also tried to buy the collection after he passed away. Aware of the trauma his death caused to the family, I was probably not aggressive enough. His wife recently passed away as well and this brought me great trepidation that an earlier promise by Tom to deal with me on the disposition of the collection would not be honored by the trustees of the estate. I was right. I had a cash offer with well over a Million in-hand and the collection was given to Heritage. So, now I am working with Heritage to bring the collection to market. It sure is sad when two beautiful people in their mid-50's pass away leaving a daughter in high school.

Daughter in HS? Wow... that would be my sister if my parents passed away at the same time. At least she'll have a solid financial basis to start her adult life on thanks to their labors, but I'm sure that she, and anybody else who lost their parents that young, would give all of it up for more time with them. That's a real shame.

It is extremely sad for their daughter. Tom and Jean were the best of the best. The kindest couple you'd ever meet and truly giving. They raised a strong, intelligent daughter who is beautiful in every way. She's been through more than a teenager should have to endure. However, her parents taught her well, and they were great role models, as is her extended family. The collection is spectacular and should bring strong money on its own merits. However, knowing that it is going to have to go a long way, putting her through both college and grad school, I know I have extra incentive to kick in an extra bid if there's any way I can stretch my wallet.

• Options
  • Options

sorry - learning the new stuff

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

The collection is spectacular and should bring strong money on its own merits. However, knowing that it is going to have to go a long way, putting her through both college and grad school, ...

It has to be devastating to lose both parents so young (50s).

I don't know the family, but his obit shows he was veterinarian.

It seems likely the family had more assets than just the coin collection, such as real estate, stocks, etc.

Many good colleges provide financial aid. Grad school is either self-funded by loans given earnings expectation, or is free/grant funded in most academic subjects.

• Options

Originally posted by: yosclimber
    The collection is spectacular and should bring strong money on its own merits. However, knowing that it is going to have to go a long way, putting her through both college and grad school, ...
    It has to be devastating to lose both parents so young (50s). I don't know the family, but his obit shows he was veterinarian. It seems likely the family had more assets than just the coin collection, such as real estate, stocks, etc. Many good colleges provide financial aid. Grad school is either self-funded by loans given earnings expectation, or is free/grant funded in most academic subjects.

She's got a strong support network around her.

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: RKKay Here's a link to a Fly-in Club feature describing the top 10 highlights of the collection when it was displayed at the Summer 2009 ANA. I think Rick Snow wrote this feature.

Those highlights are nice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file