Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where to put 7k

If you had 7k to spend and wanted a nice return in 3 years what card/grade would you put it in?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1988 Donruss cases. #283 Devon White, pop the first PSA10 and you're rich. 356 tries so far, 353 PSA7s, 2 PSA8s, & 1 PSA9.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

👍
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    1989 Topps Hockey unopened has almost doubled in the past year. image

Really though, Antiquarian books are the way to go. If done right, $7,000 in three years should return about $105k.
  • Options
    Nice but the 2001 Hawaii Trade Show version is the one to have !
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    If I had 7k and wanted a nice return in three years I would buy some gold and silver, the kind that fits in your hand. But, if that 7k is only for cards I would buy a well centered Jordan RC PSA 8 that on some days might be a 9, a gem mint Jerry Rice RC sitting in a 9 holder, a mint Bird/Magic RC in an 8 holder, some Mantle card (pick your favorite), and whatever Chipper Jones or Ken Griffey Jr RC's that you like.

Why those cards? I like them and if you buy high-end for the grade you can diversify and buy more with the possibility of maybe have one or two cards get a bump. Griffey and Chipper will be HOFer's in 2016 & 2018.

You can pay my consulting fee in cards image
    Matt

• Options
    I like it..... And have already been on the look out for those.... Except for Chipper
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Buy 2 or 3 unopened cases of the inagural 2014 panini soccer World Cup cases...prices keep going up if you can find them anymore. In 2018 when the new cards come out, my prediction is the 2014 cases and even boxes will move much higher. Heard it here first. Rare autos of current and past players and parallels of the best in the world...oh ya, also includes Andrew luck and Kobe Bryant as fans of the game..priceless.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    Grab a coupla high end PSA 8 Topps Pete Rose Rookies before Manfred shocks the world.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High-end 51B Mantle PSA 5 with great registration and above average centering for the card.

1925 Exhibit Gehrig RC, if one can be found.

2 Fleer Jordan PSA 9 RCs that look like bump candidates, with some change left over.

The highest eye appeal base issue 50's Mantle card one can find, earlier the better (52B, 53B/T, 54B, 56-59T).

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

<< <i>Grab a coupla high end PSA 8 Topps Pete Rose Rookies before Manfred shocks the world. >>

^^^^ I like this
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Lot of good ideas so far. Gem Mt later 80's Jordans ( 88 fleer,stickers,all star) 89 fleer
    Mint 87 Fleer Jordan and stickers.
    Mint 70's Baseball HOF and Stars

Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

<< <i>High-end 51B Mantle PSA 5 with great registration and above average centering for the card.

1925 Exhibit Gehrig RC, if one can be found.

2 Fleer Jordan PSA 9 RCs that look like bump candidates, with some change left over.

The highest eye appeal base issue 50's Mantle card one can find, earlier the better (52B, 53B/T, 54B, 56-59T). >>

These are all something I would do..great insight.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1988 Donruss cases. #283 Devon White, pop the first PSA10 and you're rich. 356 tries so far, 353 PSA7s, 2 PSA8s, & 1 PSA9. >>

Boom with that much scratch you can probably corner the market on those precocious high numbered sps and MVP inserts
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Rhonda Rousey certified autograph RCs
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you had 7k to spend and wanted a nice return in 3 years what card/grade would you put it in? >>

Couple of options:

Vintage - find the best centered a highest graded Mantle from 1956-1959 you can find. 1956 is already in the $6-7k range, 1957 is close, 1958 is in $5-6k range, and 1959 in the $4k range. With Mantle's once you get to 1966-1969 they are not difficult to find. Would also look for nicely centered Aaron or Clemente rookies in lower grades under $7k.

Other choices would be Nolan Ryan rookie in PSA 8($3k to $3500), Jordan rookies in PSA 8-9($1500-4000), plus cards of HOfers like Bench, Rose, Jackson, Brett, Henderson...

KC
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

Couple of options:

Vintage - find the best centered a highest graded Mantle from 1956-1959 you can find. 1956 is already in the $6-7k range, 1957 is close, 1958 is in $5-6k range, and 1959 in the $4k range. With Mantle's once you get to 1966-1969 they are not difficult to find. Would also look for nicely centered Aaron or Clemente rookies in lower grades under $7k.

Other choices would be Nolan Ryan rookie in PSA 8($3k to $3500), Jordan rookies in PSA 8-9($1500-4000), plus cards of HOfers like Bench, Rose, Jackson, Brett, Henderson...

KC >>

KC. What do you think about the 52 Bowman Mantle being the next one to take off like the 51 Bowman has over the last year or so now that the 52 Topps is getting out of normal collectors price range (speaking for myself that is)
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    consider buying 20 strong 9's of "said popular player" at $100, submit for review in 1 group sub. when the 10 hits, sell for $8000+.

ya still have your original $5K in your pocket that ya didn't spend and another $6K in profit.

OR:

just buy 1 card that ya loved as a kid, continue to love to this day and forget about making money!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This '51 Bowman Mantle looks like a good investment. A little more than you want to spend, but I would go this route.

True rookie
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Couple of options:

KC >>

KC. What do you think about the 52 Bowman Mantle being the next one to take off like the 51 Bowman has over the last year or so now that the 52 Topps is getting out of normal collectors price range (speaking for myself that is) >>

I don't know if I am qualified to answer that question since I don't do much with Bowman cards, but I think your reasoning is correct and one all collectors need to have when looking at cards/prices/long term valuations. I think Matt(DM23) would be the expert on this subject.

I would say that historically rookie cards have always been the gold standard when it comes to cards, so a lot of it depends on what you personally like. If you really like a card don't settle for a different year due to price. Try to find the best example in regards to centering and eye appeal of the card you like even if you have to go down a grade or two.

I also think along the lines with my collection in these terms:

* Buy cards that I like and provide great memories from when I was a kid. There are numerous cards I love from 1973-1977 that are not worth more than $30 in PSA 8, but I remember those cards like yesterday when i was collecting as a 8 or 9 year old kid.

* For appreciation purposes find high end, well centered examples of HOF players. Like the above criteria buy players you like. If you don't like Seaver or Reggie don't buy their cards just because they will go up in value.

* I separate my collection into two areas. One part for collecting which I don't care if they increase in value, and the other part I try to find cards that I like that 5 years from now should be worth more than today. Back when I was collecting in the late 90's and early 2000 era my collection did fairly well and several key cards appreciated 2-3 times their worth in a couple of years - funny thing is they were not Mantle cards!

Good luck in your search and have fun with it.

KC
  • Options

<< <i>just buy 1 card that ya loved as a kid, continue to love to this day and forget about making money! >>

Not Ed.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think about the 52 Bowman Mantle being the next one to take off like the 51 Bowman has over the last year or so now that the 52 Topps is getting out of normal collectors price range (speaking for myself that is) >>

That sounds like a great idea!

There are also quite a few slightly less mainstream Mantles that I expect will be dragged along by the growth of the Topps/Bowman cards. '54 Dandee in PSA 8, '54 Red Heart in PSA 9, and others.
  • Options
    There have been excellent suggestions if you want to purchase baseball cards. I think that centered basketball/football cards of HOF'ers in the highest grade you can do may have more room to grow. Some of these were mentioned earlier. J.Brown, J.Unitas, J.Rice, W.Payton, J.Montana, L.Taylor, J.Elway, and D.Marino come to mind in football. W.Chamberlain, O.Robertson, E.Baylor, L.Alcindor, B.Russell, J.West, Bird/Magic, or any HOF'er from the 86 Fleer set in basketball. I am sure any collector of hockey can rattle off some examples that fit your description. My point is that baseball cards have exploded and it is possible that the positive momentum may extend to the other sports cards at some point soon.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    If I had 7k and wanted a nice return in three years I would buy some gold and silver, the kind that fits in your hand

Someone always posts these traditional investment opportunities whenever someone wants to invest in cards. I did a quick search and saw that over the past 2 years, an ounce of gold has DECREASED over 15% and an ounce of silver has DECREASED over 32%.

I would be comfortable in saying that high grade vintage of HOF rookies have done considerably better than that over the same time period.

I understand these metals may be bargains right now, but someone probably thought the same thing back in 2013 image
  • Options

<< <i>Grab a coupla high end PSA 8 Topps Pete Rose Rookies before Manfred shocks the world. >>

Ain't gonna happen. Pete will keep sitting on the bench with Shoeless Joe. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What do you think about the 52 Bowman Mantle being the next one to take off like the 51 Bowman has over the last year or so now that the 52 Topps is getting out of normal collectors price range (speaking for myself that is) >>

That sounds like a great idea!

There are also quite a few slightly less mainstream Mantles that I expect will be dragged along by the growth of the Topps/Bowman cards. '54 Dandee in PSA 8, '54 Red Heart in PSA 9, and others. >>

That is a beautiful Mantle right there. Thank you for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>

Ain't gonna happen. Pete will keep sitting on the bench with Shoeless Joe. image >>

Of course. And the debate will roll on, meaning Pete won't lose any attention. Which means that a solid investment now would likely pay off pretty well in 3 years, all other logical factors considered. The individual example I've suggested here has increased in value by approximately 100% over the past 3 years.

But........what if he DOES GET IN? image
  • Options
    centered mj psa 9 rookies
  • Options

<< <i>If I had 7k and wanted a nice return in three years I would buy some gold and silver, the kind that fits in your hand

Someone always posts these traditional investment opportunities whenever someone wants to invest in cards. I did a quick search and saw that over the past 2 years, an ounce of gold has DECREASED over 15% and an ounce of silver has DECREASED over 32%. >>

My apologies, I will bring my precious metals speculating to the correct forum. Thanks for your research. I must be dumb to invest in something that always decreases.

<< <i>I would be comfortable in saying that high grade vintage of HOF rookies have done considerably better than that over the same time period. >>

You're a smart dude.

<< <i> I understand these metals may be bargains right now, but someone probably thought the same thing back in 2013 image >>

I believe the op was asking about a decent return on investment starting now, not two years ago, but thanks for your insight.

To keep this card related, scans are always fun (I'm sorry Ed - they're not for sale):

Matt

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy as many 1986-87 Fleer #7 B.J. Barkleys as you can.
    Guy is an entertainer and in the limelight!
    His cards will continue to have eyes.
    Id' bet on it.
  • Options

<< <i>Buy as many 1986-87 Fleer #7 B.J. Barkleys as you can.
    Guy is an entertainer and in the limelight!
    His cards will continue to have eyes.
    Id' bet on it. >>

well, ya got the "bj" part right.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    CLCT closed yesterday at $14.71/share. 7K would get you 475 shares. Let's check back in 3 years to see where we would be.
    It's hard to believe it was trading north of 23 this past May.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>If you had 7k to spend and wanted a nice return in 3 years what card/grade would you put it in? >>

There are many great places to put 7K, gold and silver is the safest option but you must purchase from a reputable source. There are many silver plated bars that get passed off as solid silver. Be careful and educate yourself prior to making a $7,000 mistake. If you choose to put that money into cardboard, forget about the newer stuff and focus on vintage. Rookie hall of famers in your favorite sport in the highest grade possible. Great examples of income potential are the 55 Clemente 8, 55 Koufax 8 and 57 Bart Starr 8. These are only a couple examples but what is common amongst all is the era in which they played. The population is critical when investing in cards, scarcity will always drive demand and earning potential. There will always be two collectors who are willing to try to outspend each other to claim ownership of a low pop card. I personally owned two 1 of 1's, a 35 Goudey and a 63 Topps that I had a total of 275.00 into, decided it was time to sell after a year and made 7x my investment. IMHO The problem with late 70's, 80's and newer is that there is still a great deal of unopened material that have the potential to kill the pop and deflate your investment.
    It's a difficult topic with many answers but if all else fails buy Mantles!
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    7k in gold would be a disaster IMO... unless you're a doomsdayer and don't realize an average contains ups and downs.
  • Options
    Come on Matt.... Sell me all 5 cards in the picture?!!
  • Options
    Any Pete rose card
  • Options
    Buy seven lower grade Aaron RCs in the $500 dollar range. Wait for his next paid signing (~$300). Then slab and then flip for the going rate (~$1500). Continue this trend as often as he continues to do a couple paid signings a year. In this scenario you don't have to count on the market for anything to increase and the only risk being Aaron's immediate health. Baring the worst, you should be able to gain about $3000 per $7000 invested this way.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    ^^^I plan on doing this next time. Maybe not three, but possibly two. We'll see.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

CLCT closed at 28.69 today. That's a double in 20 months not counting the dividends.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Amazon stock. They may a dividend sooner than you think

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Meh Stewie.

• Options
    amp0909amp0909 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Bitcoin!

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

Silver

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Early 1970s basketball higher grade rookies and sets. While the Crisser says the entire card market is crashing, cards like the 1974 Gervin in a PSA 8 have more than doubled in the past 6 months...and there are only a handful of 1971 to 1974 Topps basketball complete sets listed on ebay. That stuff is so much more scarce than anything in baseball or football from the 1970s, and maybe even going back to the 1950s.

• Options

@RookieWax said:
    Early 1970s basketball higher grade rookies and sets. While the Crisser says the entire card market is crashing, cards like the 1974 Gervin in a PSA 8 have more than doubled in the past 6 months...and there are only a handful of 1971 to 1974 Topps basketball complete sets listed on ebay. That stuff is so much more scarce than anything in baseball or football from the 1970s, and maybe even going back to the 1950s.

SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :|

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2017 9:30AM

@LarkinCollector said:
    1988 Donruss cases. #283 Devon White, pop the first PSA10 and you're rich. 356 tries so far, 353 PSA7s, 2 PSA8s, & 1 PSA9.

Pretty sure 350 of these were done by Devon himself or something. They all graded PSA 7, it is quite weird to say the least. Also 2001 tradeshow Hawaii copies have 539 all graded in PSA 8. This is hard to imagine as a reality. I doubt this pop is hard to break and even a PSA 9 sold for $5 so I wouldn't think this is a viable get rich quick scheme. If it is, there is people selling 100-1000 of these in bulk out there I am sure and you could cherry pick much cheaper than buying cases to find that card.

*Upon further research this appears to be a giveaway buyback in how these were graded--for promotional purposes. These were not submitted as singles 100s of times and received low grades. The card is typically off center, however, so I guess PSA 8 is relative to the average centering, but keeping the par level at 7 or 8 for the same giveaways to all represented makes sense.

• Options

• Options
    edited April 10, 2017 10:30AM

Looking back two years ago should have said Cracker Jack or t206 Green TY Cobb.... They have doubled /tripled since then.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

wow

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

wow

makes me want to hold on to my Roberto kelly Donruss 88 psa 10 extra tight